Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer will only install SE Cams

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 12:38 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I love reading these little debates. The bottom line is quite simply if you want aftermarket parts on your internal components, you run a significant risk that if things go south your warranty will be voided. If you can't live with that, go with HD parts. How hard is that? Of course you can fight the MoCo legally as to whether they have the right to void your warranty, but how deep are your pockets for legal fees vs. the MoCo? Case closed.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SE 254e...

Compliant, AND happy.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:00 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Beav
SE 254e...

Compliant, AND happy.
good cam..

and the bottom line is simply the fact that if you're going to get the dealership to do the work, then they will want to use HD parts; that's understandable

Old 12-10-2013, 01:10 PM
jeg1
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I would go with the 204's if SE is only choice.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:01 PM
2013_FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 1,043 Likes on 258 Posts

I appreciate the comments made but I do have a comment for the posts that say to leave it stock or basically own the problem if something happens down the line. Here is my issue with that statement. My original post stated that my intention was to leave the bike stock and ride it for at least five years at 15K per season. That was quickly shot to hell when I found that the bike does not run as it should. All things said my best bet is to replace the exhaust, A/C, purchase a SERT and get it tuned and simply enjoy the motorcycle even though I believe the cam in my FLHTK should have been a 255 from day one. (After all it's a bagger not a super glide). I guess at this point it simply comes down to $$$. Do I really want to spend another grand plus to replace the cams. What I do have going for me is a wife who loves to ride and told me do what you want to the bike because in her words. "You know best"

Old 12-10-2013, 02:03 PM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Se204 enough said

Old 12-10-2013, 02:07 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2013_FLHTK
I appreciate the comments made but I do have a comment for the posts that say to leave it stock or basically own the problem if something happens down the line. Here is my issue with that statement. My original post stated that my intention was to leave the bike stock and ride it for at least five years at 15K per season. That was quickly shot to hell when I found that the bike does not run as it should. All things said my best bet is to replace the exhaust, A/C, purchase a SERT and get it tuned and simply enjoy the motorcycle even though I believe the cam in my FLHTK should have been a 255 from day one. (After all it's a bagger not a super glide). I guess at this point it simply comes down to $$$. Do I really want to spend another grand plus to replace the cams. What I do have going for me is a wife who loves to ride and told me do what you want to the bike because in her words. "You know best"

here's my .02 FWIW.

Take that stock head pipe off and replace with your choice of head pipe, slip ons, and A/C then get the bike dyno tuned by someone who knows what they're doing. You might just be surprised at what you get out of that setup and then no need to go into the motor at all. A free breathing bike will run much better than the stock EPA setup you have now.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:10 PM
2013_FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 1,043 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
here's my .02 FWIW.

Take that stock head pipe off and replace with your choice of head pipe, slip ons, and A/C then get the bike dyno tuned by someone who knows what they're doing. You might just be surprised at what you get out of that setup and then no need to go into the motor at all. A free breathing bike will run much better than the stock EPA setup you have now.
That is almost word for word the advice from the service tech.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
here's my .02 FWIW.

This is probably the best advice you have gotten so far, do it in steps and see how you like it. Doing what Ultranutz suggested will cool down that bike. If you then want some more low end torque later, go with a SE cam upgrade.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:17 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

just be careful with head pipe selection because they are not all created equal. The ones that I see that seem to work very well repeatedly with a semi-stock setup are fullsac and jackpot.

Quick Reply: Dealer will only install SE Cams