Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer will only install SE Cams

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 11:19 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by stan60
Using this logic, do absolutely nothing to your bike! As soon as you ride off of the lot with those shiny new true dual headers and slipons, your warranty is null and void. I don't think so......I haven't seen a list yet that shows what is and what is not the stuff that will void a warranty, other than proof that it was the "aftermarket" part that caused the failure.

Again, I refer you to the Magnuson-Moss Act. Keep in mind, nobody said that if the stuff hits the fan that there won't be fight, but this is definitely in the consumers corner.

And remember, opinions are like a**holes and elbows, everybody has at least one.

Do whatever it is that you want, it's yours! Good luck to ya! I'm out.
This is all correct, but what was being said was that the dealer will not install non Harley parts. I know he said it was because they will void the warranty but that was some service guy talking out his a'hole i'm sure. A lot of "Harley" dealers will only install and sell Harley branded parts, and the Magnuson-Moss Act doesn't require dealers to sell and install aftermarket parts.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:21 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by stan60
Using this logic, do absolutely nothing to your bike! As soon as you ride off of the lot with those shiny new true dual headers and slipons, your warranty is null and void. I don't think so......I haven't seen a list yet that shows what is and what is not the stuff that will void a warranty, other than proof that it was the "aftermarket" part that caused the failure.

Again, I refer you to the Magnuson-Moss Act. Keep in mind, nobody said that if the stuff hits the fan that there won't be fight, but this is definitely in the consumers corner.

And remember, opinions are like a**holes and elbows, everybody has at least one.

Do whatever it is that you want, it's yours! Good luck to ya! I'm out.
Nothing "voids" a warranty. Put a blower on your bike, your radio's still covered. But no way Harley's responsible for the aftermarket performance parts you add to your bike. You might want to take a look at the text of the Magnusun-Moss Warranty Act, as it only has to do with the definition of warranties, and what a manufacturer can require in order to maintain said warranty. IOW, Harley can't require you to use Harley oil unless they provide it to you for free. Nothing in the US Code states that a manufacturer must warranty items that are added to a vehicle.

Further, unless your Stage 1 is comprised entirely of parts that carry an EPA stamp, you're in violation of federal emissions laws, and you're running parts that are labeled "for off-road use only". Why should Harley warranty those parts, or any part connected to them?

It'd be great if people would just take responsibility for themselves instead of looking for someone else to pay for their broken stuff. Your warranty covers your stock bike. If your bike isn't stock, don't be surprised if your warranty claim's denied.

Now with all that said, it sounds like this particular dealer only wants to sell Harley parts. That's their right, and it should give the OP an insight into what they intend to cover under the warranty.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:29 AM
Knightlimper
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, cutting to the chase here.

I got the 7 year extended warranty on my 2010 FLHTK because I ride it on my commute to work. I roll up about 15K miles per year, same as what OP is planning.

Dealer installed 255 cams, SE air cleaner, SE Fatshotz pipes, which are now covered under the ESP. I kept the headpipe and cat to keep things covered by ESP.

I had the bike tuned by an indy, she runs pretty cool for having the cat in the headpipe.

Nearly 4 years into the 7 year ESP, the bike has 61K miles and the ESP has paid for itself. From my perspective, things worked out very well. I still have coverage on the stage 1 stuff, the bike runs cooler and better. Is it a perfect situation? Nope. But it is the best I can do.

So, if you want peace of mind, stick with HD parts that will be covered under the ESP. Get the bike tuned well, then ride it like you stole it until the ESP expires.

I figure by the time my ESP runs out I'll have 110K miles on the bike. Not a bad deal for me.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:42 AM
usmc97hd
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Magnuson-Moss Act does allow parts to be replaced with aftermarket parts. It does not cover parts that modify the engine in any way. If you replaced the cams with a factory profile but from an aftermarket supplier you might have an argument if the warranty was voided. But installing higher lift or different duration cams is modifying the engine and is not coverd under the Magnuson-Moss Act.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:54 AM
2013_FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 1,043 Likes on 258 Posts

The service department called back and offered 20% off all parts and labor as well as half off the DYNO tune. As someone said in an earlier post. This has more to do with their policy than it does with my ESP. I may cave if I can get them to knock off another $200 off the total price. As a newbie I thank you for your prompt responses.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train

It'd be great if people would just take responsibility for themselves instead of looking for someone else to pay for their broken stuff. Your warranty covers your stock bike. If your bike isn't stock, don't be surprised if your warranty claim's denied.
EXACTLY!!!!

Old 12-10-2013, 11:55 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by usmc97hd
The Magnuson-Moss Act does allow parts to be replaced with aftermarket parts. It does not cover parts that modify the engine in any way. If you replaced the cams with a factory profile but from an aftermarket supplier you might have an argument if the warranty was voided. But installing higher lift or different duration cams is modifying the engine and is not coverd under the Magnuson-Moss Act.
Correct if the failure was due to the non HD cam. The rest of the bike, radio, etc is still covered. I may be wrong and don't have time to check the HD catalog but aren't all the HD cams labeled for off road use only?

Old 12-10-2013, 12:10 PM
usmc97hd
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Correct if the failure was due to the non HD cam. The rest of the bike, radio, etc is still covered. I may be wrong and don't have time to check the HD catalog but aren't all the HD cams labeled for off road use only?
You are correct in the fact that the radio, paint, etc would still be covered. The complete powertrain would most likely NOT be covered after a modification. The argument from the MoCo would be that the increase in power from the "hot" cams could have caused the failure of unrelated parts. Trans, crank, primary.....almost anything in the powertrain. I have dealt with this issue on a few Jeeps and a couple of Z28s in the past. Best to keep the mods to external bolt ons while under wannanty.

Someone mentioned a blower. I would bet large amounts of cash that the second they find out you have placed a blower on an engine that the warranty would be canceled. It wouldn't surprise me in that case it ALL warranty coverage would go away.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:31 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
I believe the 255 is emissions-legal and would therefore be covered.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:36 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013_FLHTK
The service department called back and offered 20% off all parts and labor as well as half off the DYNO tune. As someone said in an earlier post. This has more to do with their policy than it does with my ESP. I may cave if I can get them to knock off another $200 off the total price. As a newbie I thank you for your prompt responses.
If you trust your dealer and want to do business with them, use them, 20% is a pretty good deal. Id use the SE 204 instead of the 255. The 255 is a EPA complaint mild cam, the 204 will wake up the 103 a lot more. Most of the SE and after market cam and performance parts are "off road or race use" and these mods all violate the EPA and may cause a problem with any warranty claim

05 Train summed it up pretty well IMO. In my experience it is most important on warranty issues that it is up to the dealer, they can sneak a lot by if they are on your side. Bottom line is any modification may cause you a problem if there is a failure and they link it to the modification which is why having a good dealer on your side makes a big difference. The MM Act offers some protection but in the event that they deny it means court time and in most cases its not worth it and /or they will win.

Quick Reply: Dealer will only install SE Cams