Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM/Sirius radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 09:00 AM
Erock1800
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM/Sirius radio

I have the 2014 SGS boom box infotainment system. I did not order the XM system, however. I noticed on the Honda F6B forum (reference attached link) some of the guys installed the XM system themselves. My question is can I go this route or do I have to purchase the expensive HD setup? This set up is $50 bucks!

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?9...ighlight=radio

Old 12-10-2013, 09:30 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 511 Likes on 315 Posts

Your link will not work for most. You have to be a member there to access it.

You get this message:
You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Old 12-10-2013, 10:52 AM
Erock1800
Tourer

Sorry about that. Here is what they wrote.

Added XM Radio
Bought a unit at Best Buy, everything fits and plugs in the left glove box. Power, audio. Antennae mounted there also. Took all of about 5 minutes and sounds great for 50 bucks.

Plugs into power socket, audio plugs into unit. Using 3m mounting tape on the base of the unit, unit mounted in glove box. Using 3m, antenna mounts in corner. Antenna works under the closed lid. I used the 3M product, which makes for a secure mount, so that unit could be removed easily in case I wanted to use the box for something else at a later date, being as the bike is only a week old. Works great!

Old 12-10-2013, 05:15 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Erock, I just installed my XM Onyx on my bike. I have mounts for it installed in my truck, cruiser, and boat also. Having a portable XM radio is great. I have one subscription and just move the radio between all of the different vehicles.

I mounted the antenna on top of the radio in the fairing. I tapped into the cigarette lighter for the power. I mounted the radio and dock on the right side of the inner fairing up between the volt meter and right speaker. I used the heavy duty plastic type velcro. I ran the aux input from the radio through the fairing and to the radio.

The only downside I found on a short ride yesterday was the radio shakes in the dock. So I am going to add a medium rubber band around the top of the dock and radio to keep the vibration down. From 1000-2000 rpm, it vibrates. Above 2k, it doesn't. The dock itself didn't budge at all. I had perfect reception with the antenna inside the fairing.

Let me know if you have any questions. It was a very easy install.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:57 PM
hanny
Road Captain

that option sounds like an xm add on. Just a little unit to get xm that goes thru you antenna I belive. the Harley xm integrated is a module that goes in the back of the head unit and allows you to use the on screen xm. not sure if that the answer you want to hear but I paid the 400$ reluctantly and don't regret it now,,,,,,,,,

Old 12-10-2013, 07:22 PM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Old 12-11-2013, 11:02 AM
merlin41
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you search, you can find an XM radio that transmits on an FM frequency. You tune your FM radio to a set frequency and you can listen ot XM that way. You obviously would have no control of the XM radio station other than manually changing it but it's portable and you can use it on mulitple vehicles. I have one that I'm not using anymore and I think it has a Delphi brand on it. Just another option.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Erock1800
Tourer

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll look into it more once I bring the bike home. Forcasted Snow and cold is holding it up right now.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:41 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

You spend over twenty grand for a fantastic new bike why cheap Charlie the XM? The HD module works well and can be purchased at a discount with a little shopping. I suggest going with the factory unit. I did and really like it.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:50 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by scottt
You spend over twenty grand for a fantastic new bike why cheap Charlie the XM? The HD module works well and can be purchased at a discount with a little shopping. I suggest going with the factory unit. I did and really like it.
and it's very easy to install. pull the fairing cap off, pull the screw out of the back of the radio that holds the block off plate in place, slide the XM module in, mount your antenna, you're done

Quick Reply: XM/Sirius radio