Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cush drive grrrrrr!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013 | 05:44 PM
Turret_plug
|
Road Master
Default Cush drive grrrrrr!!!!!!!!

Ok, so I'm locked in battle with a dealer and a set of mammoth spoke wheels...... My bike, a 2013 Street Glide, has cush drive..... The cush drive hub on the mammoth spoke and the matching sprocket are considerably more expensive.....

I guess my question is, do I need the cush drive? The salesman says a lot of guys just buy the bolt on pulley and ride. Is this a BAD idea? Or is he trying to get me to go cheaper just to make the sale? I don't want to risk thousands in repairs, to avoid about an extra $450 of pulley and cush drive hub. Don't know what to do. I'd love to hear some answers from some mammoth or custom wheel owners.

Let it rain!

Old 12-08-2013 | 05:57 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior

Go for it. Lots of bikes running without it. Probably won't tell a difference. I maybe wrong, but I think the touring are the only ones with cush drive.

Old 12-08-2013 | 05:57 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member

i added it to my 07,without it the drivetrain was noisy and the ride was not as smooth.harley never used em till 07 even then it was an add on,don't see why not having it would cause any failures.

Old 12-08-2013 | 05:58 PM
Turret_plug
|
Road Master

That's all I could find too..... But I've read some horror stories about compensators failing. In all honesty, I own a garage queen, and I'm a pretty boy, weekend warrior. I'm not a hardcore road dog like some on here, I'm not sure I'd ever ride long enough to cause any damage that I am really aware of.......

Old 12-08-2013 | 06:19 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

The IDS does a good job of absorbing engine pulses. It also serves to take a bit of the instant torque pressure off of the font end of the drive train. So it has a purpose or two.
It looks like this in the earlier bikes:

And like this on the newer bikes:

The newer models utilize a pulley that is held in place by pressure from the torque applied to the axle nut…the IDS compensator fits in forged pockets. Here is a pic of my rear agitator before install and you see where the compensator lives:

Old 12-08-2013 | 06:32 PM
Brian W
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Turret_plug
Ok, so I'm locked in battle with a dealer and a set of mammoth spoke wheels...... My bike, a 2013 Street Glide, has cush drive..... The cush drive hub on the mammoth spoke and the matching sprocket are considerably more expensive.....

I guess my question is, do I need the cush drive? The salesman says a lot of guys just buy the bolt on pulley and ride. Is this a BAD idea? Or is he trying to get me to go cheaper just to make the sale? I don't want to risk thousands in repairs, to avoid about an extra $450 of pulley and cush drive hub. Don't know what to do. I'd love to hear some answers from some mammoth or custom wheel owners.

Let it rain!

Give me a call I have the wheels and the pulley. The Mammoth pulley is on sale of 259.95 with the rear wheel

The following users liked this post:
cadreamn (08-11-2021)
Old 12-08-2013 | 06:35 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Yeah I would buy it from a sponsor and also get the cush drive.

lp

Old 12-08-2013 | 06:36 PM
Brian W
Former Sponsor

I have the bolt on pulley designed as well. Please PM me if you have any questions.

Old 12-09-2013 | 04:33 AM
bubba455
Cruiser

Nearly every motorcycle since the 60's has had 'Cush drive". It is there to absorb shock that would otherwise be passed onto the transmission, clutch, drive belt, and engine. Seems like a small price to pay to maintain a trouble free drive train not to mention the vibration that would be passed on to the driver.

Old 12-09-2013 | 05:12 AM
Turret_plug
|
Road Master

Yeah..... I'm getting 50/50 from the peanut gallery, I've had a few PM's asking me "are you nuts" and a few telling me not to worry about it

Quick Reply: Cush drive grrrrrr!!!!!!!!