Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cush drive grrrrrr!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013 | 05:55 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

My experience on my '07 Ultra:

Purchased before the cush drive was available, so there were many miles put on w/o it. Experienced lots of drivetrain vibration, especially noticeable at higher speeds/6th gear riding. It actually caused my teeth to vibrate in my mouth.

After first full riding season, installed the cush drive kit. Drivetrain vibration reduced dramatically & bike became much more comfortable & enjoyable to ride.

I believe the final drive gearing for the '07 was taller (lower engine RPM) than your '13, so it may not make as big a difference for you. My advice is, if you can afford it, definitely add it. Since you currently have cush drive & would be removing it, I think you won't be happy with the added vibration. I suspect you won't regret spending a bit more to keep things smoother.

Just my 2 cents...

The following users liked this post:
04ctd (11-18-2019)
Old 12-09-2013 | 06:44 AM
Danofxdx
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bubba455
Nearly every motorcycle since the 60's has had 'Cush drive". It is there to absorb shock that would otherwise be passed onto the transmission, clutch, drive belt, and engine. Seems like a small price to pay to maintain a trouble free drive train not to mention the vibration that would be passed on to the driver.
Great idea and I have seen it on other many other applications but to say that every motorcycle since the 60's has it is just plain silly?

Old 12-09-2013 | 07:09 AM
6speed51
Road Captain
Default Cush drive

Cush-drive sounds like a good idea.Has anyone added this to a 2006 Road King with favorable results? I'm interested.

Old 12-09-2013 | 07:38 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

We rode Harleys for years without IDS. It is an improvement but something you can live with out. Mods are expensive. Going cheap is why so many Harleys are train wrecks.
Your ride you decide, dealer just giving you information and being honest with you

Old 12-09-2013 | 08:24 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm in process of going to bolt on pulley on my '09 and ditching the cush drive. Many aftermarket wheels ditch the cush drive. My '09 is the first harley I've had with it and it does feel a little rubbery. Never had vibration problems with any my others? Guess I'll find out?

Old 12-09-2013 | 09:23 AM
Woodchuck
Road Master

I bought my '07 new and went through all the hoopla of the "revolutionary" (to HD) IDS mod. It was introduced to address the rocks in the can transmission noise in sixth and the whine of the straight cut fifth gears. I didn't install it and have no regrets. The original IDS had some bolting and pad wear issues that I avoided. I have had no drive train problems.

With the lower gearing and helical cut fifth gear on your '13, I think you would barely notice the lack of IDS.

Old 12-09-2013 | 09:25 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

My 07 did not have it had not issues had some miles when I traded it. current owner has 85K on it still no issues.

Old 12-09-2013 | 10:05 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

Has anyone with high hp here ever had it? And has it held up under hard launches and shifting? Obviously it will last forever as a garage queen but let's hear from the other end of the spectrum.

Old 12-13-2013 | 05:26 PM
Turret_plug
|
Road Master

Apparently, I need this money more than some businesses! I've tried eastern PC, no quote for a week, mparts on eBay made me feel like I'm getting the run-around, I'm just gonna switch gears and call hogpro. Everything I read here is TOTALLY positive about them. Unless anyone else has some better ideas, or some nice used wheels for sale?!?!?

Old 12-13-2013 | 06:05 PM
tjcaron
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Turret_plug
Apparently, I need this money more than some businesses! I've tried eastern PC, no quote for a week, mparts on eBay made me feel like I'm getting the run-around, I'm just gonna switch gears and call hogpro. Everything I read here is TOTALLY positive about them. Unless anyone else has some better ideas, or some nice used wheels for sale?!?!?
Not sure why you would have issues with Eastern. Call there and ask for Brian. He will give you a quote right away and it will probably be way better than anything you will see out of the stealer.

Quick Reply: Cush drive grrrrrr!!!!!!!!