Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Ultra turn signal options?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 01:33 PM
.357 Magnum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2014 Ultra turn signal options?

On a recent trip to the dealer to replace my worn-out summer gloves, I discovered that the new Rushmore Ultras fix a number of small complaints I've had about my 2008... so I left with a new pair of gloves AND a new Ultra. You know how these things go.

I'm loving the weeks' worth of MP3s without having to run a messy cable into a crackly, staticky aux jack. I love the ultra-stable feel from the sturdier forks and post-2009 chassis. I am still surprised, though, at the many parts they're leaving off in order to keep costs low. No saddlebag rails or luggage rack, no PTT switch for the intercom, really? I thought I could live without the CB, except a riding buddy FINALLY just upgraded to a Gold Wing equipped with one. D'oh! That addon is gonna cost me.

The most painful omission, though, is the rear turn signals. I'm a daily rider, often commuting before sunup and after sundown, and paid extra for the run/stop/turn module in my 2008, to ensure the rush-hour cagers can get a real light show when I intend to change lanes. Well, I like the new LED light bar on the new tour pak, but it's just not enough for me. I need MOAR LIGHTS, got dammit! I finally got a 2014 accessory catalog, and there appear to be NO options for restoring a turn signal bar to the rear fender: they all list fitment up to 2013 at the latest. How about those Airwing saddlebag lid rails with LED kits? The description says they function as brake lights, but makes no mention of turn signaling. That's not good enough. The little color-matched saddlebag lid trailing-edge spoilers don't list 2014 for fitment, either. So, how do I get more turn-signal action on the rear of a 2014? Anybody seen third-party accessory makers getting into this market yet?

Also, how about the front? The new bullet-style signals have lower surface area than the old flatties, and even those weren't enough for me. I had added the chrome trim strip with LED turn signals to my 2008, but that's been discontinued now, with no replacement for the 2014 fairing shape. It looks like I'll have to go for the LED-backed mirrors if I want more front lighting, but is there anything else available for 2014s yet?

What about compatibility with the new bus? (Canbus, is it called?) Could I just order any ol' lights from J&P and expect them to work, or do I need to look for bus, connector, and wiring that's specific to 2014? Also, will there be MoCo LED upgrades for the weird mix of LED and incandescent bulbs on both the front and rear?

I was prepared to pay more for the newer bike. I understand ALL American products will grow more expensive as the economic illiterates take a larger role in politics. I was unprepared, though, for the products I like just *disappearing entirely* from the market. What's going on? Is the MoCo going to try to catch up with their previous offerings? Does anybody know what's in the works?

Last edited by .357 Magnum; 12-07-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:01 PM
GCSuper
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Custom Dynamics can supply most of what you're looking for. For the most part, the new bikes don't need equalizers since they're already LED equipped. I put the ringz led front running/turn on my 14 Limited. I also had the dealer program the spots to stay on when the main lite is on bright.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

It's too late now. But the Ultra Limited comes with the luggage rack, CB, PTT button for the intercom, 6.5" Infotainment system with GPS, Twin cooled motor with more HP and Torque and quite a few other extras that Harley removed from the Ultra Classic for 2014. As far as adding lights, You need to be careful. The can-bus system is connected to the BCM which is new on the 14's. It uses the same LED's for the brake and turn signals on the rear. That is causing problems for people wanting to tow a trailer. It is going to take an adapter to make the trailer lights function properly. Several companies have told me they are working on it but nothing available yet. To make your front SPOTS stay on with high beams was a wiring change on pre 14 bikes. Now the dealer just plugs there smart tech computer into the BCM and makes a software change to make them stay on. If the BCM detects a light circuit drawing more current then it is suppose to it causes a trouble code like the ECM for motor malfunctions.

Last edited by Greg2012FLHTK; 12-07-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:50 PM
SoCalMike
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

In summary, I bought a new bike (at good $$) but don't like the fact it's not lit up like a blinged out Mack Truck and didn't realize it 'till I got home. The response is putting a trailer on the bike will need a monkey holding a crowbar if you want it to work right.

I'm confused.

Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz in front, Brightasslights BAL-1 (or whatever flavor you like) in the rear will make a great start to getting more light and attention on the road.

And it sounds like we need to avoid that salesman at that dealer. I'm thinking he can sell ice to an Eskimo.

Peace Brother

Old 12-07-2013, 03:02 PM
.357 Magnum
Tourer

Thanks, Greg. I had indeed considered the Limited, but decided against it because I didn't want to beta-test their Twin Cooling. I do have the 6.5-inch touchscreen, and it looks like I can add the CB, too, so I can have what I want from the Limited without having to take it all. (Hell, now that I'm spoiled for the Bluetooth phone integration, I will probably also add the Tour Pak 12v outlet to keep my phone charged on the long runs. Neat feature!) But at least those are things that CAN be added. Can a rear turn signal bar? I'm grateful for the details on some of the issues with compatibility. I guess I'll watch the Kuryakyn page and maybe contact the MoCo to put in my request for the 2015 catalog.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:06 PM
.357 Magnum
Tourer

SoCalMike, I can help you with your confusion. The problem isn't that it ISN'T blinged out like a Mack; the problem is that it CANNOT be made that way... or cannot even be made like it was sold just a few years ago. Not only are we getting less (in some respects) than we were before, but we CANNOT ADD BACK what went away. At least not until several technical hurdles are addressed Are you less confused now?

Old 12-07-2013, 03:11 PM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

I have a 2014 UltraClassic. I removed the TourPack and mounted a set of turn signals from a RoadKing. I used the larger 'lollipop' style because , I too, want to be seen (not that it probably matters). There is a separate wire harness that goes to the stock brake light, independent of the TP harness. The plugs from the turn signal assembly plug right into the stock fender brake light assembly and function the way they should. With the TP installed , the TP lights and added RK turns , both function. There is no problem with the Canbus and there are no codes thrown. AL

Old 12-07-2013, 03:13 PM
SoCalMike
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

.357 Magnum . . . yes. Thank you. So with that said, I think my suggestions can help, but . . . it would need to fit with your overall direction of course. I have the Limited and that's where I'm headed. Can you imagine, I had a '12 Street Glide and the only rear lights are those two damn bullets in the back. I did what I could and frankly, I was happy given the constraints. I would hear all the time how 'annoying' my rear lights were, and my response was always "that's what I want to hear".

Thanks for the clarification, and best of luck on getting where you want to be!

Old 12-07-2013, 03:33 PM
.357 Magnum
Tourer

BARACU, thanks very much! That's exactly what I was looking for! If a traditional turn-signal bar is plug-and-play, I'm going to see about adding the bullet-style one (to match the front signals), PN 68615-04. Thanks again!

Old 12-07-2013, 03:46 PM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

Originally Posted by .357 Magnum
BARACU, thanks very much! That's exactly what I was looking for! If a traditional turn-signal bar is plug-and-play, I'm going to see about adding the bullet-style one (to match the front signals), PN 68615-04. Thanks again!
You're welcome....but be aware....there is no provision or holes for mounting the turn signals. Prior years had a flat spot molded into the fender with mounting holes. I ground the mounting points on the signals to match the curve of the fender, measured and drilled two holes . I also made two rubber gaskets and glued them to the back of the TS mounts to avoid a metal to metal contact. All I really did was duplicate what they had in previous years.

Attached Thumbnails 2014 Ultra turn signal options?-011.jpg   2014 Ultra turn signal options?-012.jpg  

Last edited by BARACU; 12-07-2013 at 04:00 PM.

Quick Reply: 2014 Ultra turn signal options?