Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Ultra turn signal options?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 04:20 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

The new "cleaned up" lighting was one of the things that attracted me to the 2014 Limited. 10 Years ago, I thought the Lolipop turn signals looked dated. I love the clean look of the bullet fronts and the tour-pak only rear signals.

I swapped out the rear brake for the H-D LED unit (that should have been stock) and added the fender tip light with the brake light (that also should have been standard). I added the CD Dual Color LED inserts to the front.

With all LED front and rear, the bike is pretty lit up now.

I'm probably going to add a set of CD Plasma Rods as rear signals/brakes. They are very stealth and are nearly invisible until they light up.

The Canbus system actually makes lighting easier to add. No more load equalizers. If you tap into the correct place, you can get brake and signals on one light without any extra adaptors.

Attached Thumbnails 2014 Ultra turn signal options?-img_1765.jpg   2014 Ultra turn signal options?-img_2054.jpg  

Last edited by offthewall; 12-07-2013 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Added photos.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:09 PM
.357 Magnum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, just got back from the dealer. BARACU, you are correct: I just held up the short light bar with bullet signals from the 2013 limited, and the 2013 Road King bar, and both would require adaptation to the new fender curve. No problem; I had done that years ago when I put an FL turn signal bar on a Sporty to accommodate saddlebags: I had used thick rubber washers between the bar and fender. Sounds like you did something similar.

Greg mentioned that the aux lights can be reprogrammed simply. The parts salesman said that's not all: turning Road King turn signals into run/brake/turn lights is a simple reprogram, too! So I can take my pick of turn signal bar/shape, and as long as I route them to the taillight like BARACU did, I should be able to accomplish exactly what I want.

So what DO I want? After staring at the tail of a 2013 Limited on the floor, with narrow-set bullet turn signals, they don't give me a big enough visibility footprint. If I go with the older style, I'd want to change up the front signals to match... and as much as I liked the "classic" appearance on my 2008, I think I'm ready to give into the newer, more streamlined trend. (Never thought I'd say that, but I'm beginning to agree with offthewall on that.) So, I think I'll go with the Airwing saddlebag lid rail LEDs, route them to the taillight fixture, have the dealer program them for run/brake/turn duty, and top off the trunk with the matching luggage rack and LED run/brake light. I'll also upgrade the taillight to LED while I'm at it. I think that will all be sufficient for riding home after dark in the rain.

BARACU and offthewall, thanks for the photos. Sharing your work and your tastes helps me make up my mind better than the catalogs alone, and your rides are lookin' sharp. Enjoy 'em!

Old 12-07-2013, 06:29 PM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

It's interesting about the ability to reprogram the turn signal functions.When I first installed the RK turn signals, they functioned as turn and brake lights. That's the reason for the red lenses. I had my bike at the dealer this week for the security system that was part of the package when I bought the bike. They programmed the security system and changed the function of the auxiliary lights. I realized today, when I put the TP back on , that the RK Turn Signals no longer function as brake lights. With the snow,sleet ,freezing rain and SALT , it's not much of a concern right now.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Brykwil
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll also upgrade the taillight to LED while I'm at it.[/QUOTE]

More lights the better,with that being said think about starting with www.Brightasslights.com super-led taillight and then add from their. It's a little pricey but that thing is crazy bright,multiple running intensities,multiple brake flash patterns.When I hit the brakes they back off way off.Look at my pic's and you will see what I mean.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:37 PM
w4hyi
Intermediate

I added led turn brake an running lights between the fender an saddlebags on mine 2014 Ultra turn signal options?-image.jpg

Old 12-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Brykwil
Tourer

Originally Posted by w4hyi
I added led turn brake an running lights between the fender an saddlebags on mine Attachment 346814
What led lights did you go with(CVO Road King) & how did you mount them, direct bolt on?Post some pics with the lights off please.How much$$.

Last edited by Brykwil; 12-07-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:22 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BARACU
You're welcome....but be aware....there is no provision or holes for mounting the turn signals. Prior years had a flat spot molded into the fender with mounting holes. I ground the mounting points on the signals to match the curve of the fender, measured and drilled two holes . I also made two rubber gaskets and glued them to the back of the TS mounts to avoid a metal to metal contact. All I really did was duplicate what they had in previous years.
Excuse me for butting in,but your ride looks awesome stripped down.The color combo flows nicely.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:42 AM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

I feel the 14 turn signals are more than enough for someone to see. They are super bright and higher up and more in the line of site of drivers not 12" off the ground.
If you want an attention getter for safety get the led flashing brake/taillight.
I have one I made up and installed inside my stock light or you can buy one made up for $200 at most Harley dealers as an aftermarket. You can also get a separate one from emergency vehicles that are 1"x3" and mount under the tourpack with 6 different flashes to pick from for around $70 bucks.

The whole point is you need an attention grabber, when one of these emergency lights starts blinking the cagers see it. Only problem is if you run with a group @ night you need to tape over it at least part way because it blinds everyone behind you.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:20 AM
wesslvm
Advanced

Originally Posted by BARACU
I realized today, when I put the TP back on , that the RK Turn Signals no longer function as brake lights. With the snow,sleet ,freezing rain and SALT , it's not much of a concern right now.
BARACU

Are you just unbolting and removing the tourpak OR have you installed some sort of "Quick Disconnect"?

I had quick disc setup on my '08 and liked the look, but it wasn't worth the added cost AND after a while the TP would become loose due to wear on the quick disc plastic bushings (which I would rotate yearly for fresh plastic contact!).

Thanks,

Wes

Old 12-08-2013, 01:25 PM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

Originally Posted by wesslvm
BARACU

Are you just unbolting and removing the tourpak OR have you installed some sort of "Quick Disconnect"?

I had quick disc setup on my '08 and liked the look, but it wasn't worth the added cost AND after a while the TP would become loose due to wear on the quick disc plastic bushings (which I would rotate yearly for fresh plastic contact!).

Thanks,

Wes
My understanding is that pre 14 Tourpacks were a little more complicated to remove. The '14 TP is held on with 4 bolts and the harnesses are quick disconnect. Simply remove saddle bags, disconnect harnesses, remove 4 bolts, tip TP up and forward and remove. Harnesses coil nicely under the seat. Harley made it pretty easy on the new bikes.

Quick Reply: 2014 Ultra turn signal options?