Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12" Monkey bar cables - no it is not about the cable length - the brand???

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 04:23 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 12" Monkey bar cables - no it is not about the cable length - the brand???

cannot seem to find 1 vendor (known one) that has both (not decided on black on chrome yet).
I know for 12 inch yaffe monkeys I need
- 4 over stock on brake (or 6 if you want to)
- 6 over stock on clutch
(wires are all long enough)

a lot on the forum talk about Magnum. I cannot seem to find the brake (upper only) on f.e. jpcycles or EPC. Only universal brake lines...

any suggestions on 1 vendor being able to hook me up without braking the bank (not looking for complete set as I only need the 2 lines) and on brand?

Old 12-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by AAWAV
cannot seem to find 1 vendor (known one) that has both (not decided on black on chrome yet).
- 6 over stock on clutch

a lot on the forum talk about Magnum. I cannot seem to find the brake (upper only) on f.e. jpcycles or EPC. Only universal brake lines...

any suggestions on 1 vendor being able to hook me up without braking the bank (not looking for complete set as I only need the 2 lines) and on brand?
You can order them right on Magnum's site...I would avoid the "Chromite" ones. I had a set and the cheap plastic cover tore through and water go in...They were junk...

Old 12-06-2013, 04:53 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior

You can order them right on Magnum's site...I would avoid the "Chromite" ones. I had a set and the cheap plastic cover tore through and water go in...They were junk...
Looked at the magnum site, but I get confused here. I got ABS and it mentions ABS Dual Disc Designer Upper Assemblies in diferent lengths.
But the lengths are really short IMO... am I missing something and does the cable from the lever connect to the cable running under the tank to the unit under the seat?

Old 12-06-2013, 05:28 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

You need the two piece brake lines. One length from the ABS module to the front of the bike and then you need to decide the length from there to the master cylinder. +4 would be plenty.

I got the Black Pearl cables and yes, the outer jackets are thin and tear easily. Use caution while running them through the fairing if you go with their clutch cable. The brake line is run differently so they hold up better.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:46 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior

You need the two piece brake lines. One length from the ABS module to the front of the bike and then you need to decide the length from there to the master cylinder. +4 would be plenty.
guess I get more confused by each new reply

I cannot reuse current ABS module to front line?
I have taken the tank and outer fairing off multiple times but could never see a connection between 2 lines on the stock setup... cannot get to bike right now (garage setup for Garage sale for tomorrow).
or are you saying Magnum lines is a 2 piece install between the ABS unit and the lever/master cylinder?

+4 : https://www.magnumshielding.com/ABS-...es/upper-47117

?mid line?: https://www.magnumshielding.com/ABS-...es/brake-47011

sorry - while typing and grabbing the links, I noticed the info on the 47011 item below:

This brake line works in conjunction with the Designer Series Upper Brake Line to complete your connection from the ABS controller up to the master cylinder. Both the ABS Mid-Line Brake and the Upper Designer Brake are required for the ABS upper portion.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:58 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,238 Likes on 1,002 Posts

You can use a 1 piece line from the abs module to the master cylinder. I installed 14's on my bike but can't remember what length I used. Measure brake line from abs unit to m/c. Then add appropriate length for new bars. Stock bars are 8"'s and Yaffe's run tall so I'd add 6"'s.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:14 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AAWAV
- 6 over stock on clutch

Why you screwin around with jpcycles? Go to magnums web site and order what you need.

And just the upper brake line may not work. I had to replace upper and lower brake lines so be the uppers did not work with the stock connectors.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:45 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Find what you want on the Magnum Shielding web page and then go through Eastern Performance or another retailer for better pricing.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:58 PM
pearldrums2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 12" monkey key bars on my bike and actually I didn't even have to change the brake line. All I did was cut a couple zip ties and move the cable around and zip tie it in different location (didn't even disconnect anything with the brake lines or anything just cut the zip ties). I did have to do wire extensions for my controls and I actually had to get a new twist grip sensor (because when I extended the wiring it changed the resistance for the twist grip sensor and I ended up having to get the Screamin Eagle one that is already extended) and I did have to change the clutch cable to the extended one.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:57 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by pearldrums2
I have 12" monkey key bars on my bike and actually I didn't even have to change the brake line. All I did was cut a couple zip ties and move the cable around and zip tie it in different location (didn't even disconnect anything with the brake lines or anything just cut the zip ties). I did have to do wire extensions for my controls and I actually had to get a new twist grip sensor (because when I extended the wiring it changed the resistance for the twist grip sensor and I ended up having to get the Screamin Eagle one that is already extended) and I did have to change the clutch cable to the extended one.
I probably could have gotten away with doing the same thing but if you change the clutch cable to a custom cable, you should also change the brake line to match the finish on the clutch cable. But everyone has to do their own thing......

Quick Reply: 12" Monkey bar cables - no it is not about the cable length - the brand???