Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A mod i came up with some might like?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 03:49 PM
hanny
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there ya go, buy the "Y" for 20$ and the volt meter from them for 16.50$ plus shipping maybe tax,,,,,,,, or just buy 4$ METER LIKE I HAVE AND SOLDER YOURSELF,,,,,, you pick the call

Old 12-27-2013, 09:05 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Oaff
back in 86 Harley fitted volt meter gauges as standard equipment

like many of their "improvements" over the years original standard equipment is now accessories

having the volt meter as standard equipment has proved useful and alerted me to problems before I was left stranded on the side of the road
i dunno. my bike came standard with a voltmeter

Old 12-28-2013, 03:06 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,529 Likes on 1,424 Posts

Thanks for the tip!
I just ordered a small green LED 2 lead volt meter from Amazon. The reviews referred to the green light as not annoying like a red or blue light. OK...
My plan is to connect it to the charger leads very close to the charger (Maybe inside the cover?) and velcro or tape the display to the top of the HD Smart Charger where you are looking at it when you look at the charger (Same width).
My thought here is that with the charger unpluged from the 110 volt source, connect tender leads to the bike and battery voltage will show on the display.
Then plug the charger into the 110 volt recepticle - output of the charge will then show on the display.
Best of both worlds, if you see what I mean...

Last edited by TheGrandPoohBah; 12-28-2013 at 03:26 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:15 AM
srt8
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanny View Post
there's Nothing worse then racing home from work to find your toy dead.

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
My wife said the same damn thing

Old 12-29-2013, 06:24 AM
X-Bone
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by hanny
there ya go, buy the "Y" for 20$ and the volt meter from them for 16.50$ plus shipping maybe tax,,,,,,,, or just buy 4$ METER LIKE I HAVE AND SOLDER YOURSELF,,,,,, you pick the call
Quick, simple, cheap. I like it. I'll keep one with me on the bike. Good tool for trouble shooting electrical probs on my, or someone else's bike.

Thank you for sharing.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:20 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just assembled the first of three volt meters. It's nice being able to see the actual voltage rather than just a green light.

Just a thought though, an old or weak battery may not have the necessary cranking amps to start the bike, regardless of whether the voltage is good.

Last edited by bigdaddy33; 01-02-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:04 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

For bikes with gauges, is there any reason not to just run a battery hot wire through a momentary switch to the OEM volt meter, then you just push the button and read your voltage from the existing gauge without turning the ignition on.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:11 AM
hanny
Road Captain

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
For bikes with gauges, is there any reason not to just run a battery hot wire through a momentary switch to the OEM volt meter, then you just push the button and read your voltage from the existing gauge without turning the ignition on.
INTEReSTING THOT THERE,,,,, could do that. A digital readout would be best I think but that's a pretty cool idea

Old 01-04-2014, 12:40 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by hanny
INTEReSTING THOT THERE,,,,, could do that. A digital readout would be best I think but that's a pretty cool idea
Thought of it when I first saw your thread but I've been away for the holidays and haven't got a chance to investigate it yet. I always thought it would be a good idea if all lights were on a relay so they don't come on until after the engine fired up. You cant get an accurate static reading from the OEM volt meter when you turn the switch on 'cause all the lights are sucking power.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:16 PM
Taranwanderer
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My digital voltmeter arrived yesterday on the slow boat from China, but at $1.34 and 17 days, I'm not complaining. I picked up one of those two-prong trailer plugs at TSC, stripped a tiny bit of insulation from each wire, soldered the leads from the meter to the wires, and taped it all up. As previously mentioned, plug it in and if it doesn't work, flip it. Not sure why everyone is getting bunched up about "mounting it" on your bike--it's not staying there all the time, just when the tender is plugged in. It does work without the tender, too, which is nice--since I have all my battery tender pigtails wired the same, I can use this meter on my bike, wife's, the tractor, the RV, etc. Used blue electrical tape on the end that goes to the battery and red for the end that goes to the charger. Now even a caveman could hook it up.

Thanks again to the OP for this idea!

Quick Reply: A mod i came up with some might like?