Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A mod i came up with some might like?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by hanny
you need one of these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-24V-Mini...item460ffb5bde
and one of these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hopkins-Mfg-...item19e5e983a1
Then just simply wire the volt meter into the line, solder and put shrink tube over it. when you hook it up to the bike youshould see voltage, if not then flip it and use the other end. Then mark that end so you don't have to do it again. paul
Thanks for the tip! Just bought the items and am going to follow in your footsteps.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Brykwil
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
having been in the situation where a tender 'looked' like it was doing it's job but killed my battery, i think this is a great idea.

how about a pic of how you wired it up?

Old 12-07-2013, 06:16 PM
Brykwil
Tourer

Originally Posted by skratch
having been in the situation where a tender 'looked' like it was doing it's job but killed my battery, i think this is a great idea.

how about a pic of how you wired it up?

Old 12-07-2013, 11:21 PM
hanny
Road Captain

Originally Posted by craving94509
Hanny,

Does the second pigtail connect to the same point as the first as illustrated below? Or does the second pigtail connect to different terminals inside the meter?
the pigtail you will get is already wired from one connector to the other. The volt meter has 2 wires that you solder into those red and white wires. Just solder the 2 wires into either wire. Once hooked up to the bike if it shows voltage its hooked up right,,,, if not then simply flip the pigtail and hook it up that way. I will make a simple video if you guys want. paul

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dapE...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by hanny; 12-08-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:15 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the video. So inexpensive I ordered parts to make up 3 setups, one for each bike.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:10 PM
hanny
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Rider1973
So did you have the Yaffe Plate cover custom painted, or did you buy it that way? I see nothing on their site.

Thanks in advance.
I bought it that way off ebay, it looks really good and is tons sleeker looking. (similar below). its not a direct fit but it does cover the old bolt holes. You do have to drill 2 holes in the fender (looking at the ebay add you can see the 2 holes in the center of the backing plate) on the 14 but that's no big deal and wire it up of course. If you plan on running plasma rods as well it really changes the back end of the bike for the better IMOP. ride safe, paul
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAUL-YAFFE-B...f94dad&vxp=mtr

Old 12-08-2013, 12:13 PM
hanny
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Diggman
I'm heading in a similar route as the OP but instead of plugging it in as an extension at the bike, I'm going to splice it in at the wall (plug). I'm used to looking at the LED for status and I don't want the gauge banging around when it is not in use. I will use 3M two sided adhesive to attach the meter to the plug block, above the LED.

Diggs
great idea,,,,,,,,that's what I did on my vette as well. doing it that way you only need the simple volt meter.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:23 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/12V-24V-Mini-Auto-Digital-LED-Voltmeter-Car-Voltage-Gauge-DR-/00/s/NzAwWDcwMA==/z/L9IAAMXQlgtRwqJ0/$(KGrHqR,!qwFG66qp0G,BRwqJ0jJQw~~60_3.JPG , just bought a few more , thought they would make a good testes for your bike car or what ever , if you doubt your gage just plug it in your gig lighter , going to put some clips on one and use it at work , oboy a tax right off

Old 12-08-2013, 03:20 PM
VibratingPotato
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That in-line volt meter is a great idea.

I always check voltage when I charge batteries.
I had a 1.5 amp Schumacher charger that went to 16 volts once for no reason.

Here's what I've been doing for years.
Plug charger wire in half way and put volt meter wires in then push plug in all the way then charge.

Attached Thumbnails A mod i came up with some might like?-11.jpg   A mod i came up with some might like?-22.jpg   A mod i came up with some might like?-33.jpg  
Old 12-08-2013, 09:37 PM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Man,there are some seriously clever ideas in this thread. In addition to the OP's technique, I found out about the Harley $15 buck harley charging LED charging indicator. Just when I was getting another hit of Jim Beam, there is a pic of another clever idea of putting a volt meter in line with the pig tails while charging. Damn.

Last edited by beammeup; 12-09-2013 at 06:25 AM.

Quick Reply: A mod i came up with some might like?