Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monkey Bars

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 03:17 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts

Do it yourself. The 14's have if I remember correctly 5 wires on the left controls and 7 on the right. Thats around half of what they use to be and makes it a lot easier getting the wires through. My advise would be to have someone help you when you are running the wires. One pulling and the other person pushing and use wd-40 on the wires as lube.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:42 AM
Kaiser40
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by acchd
Sounds like 10s would be ticket for you. It's pain running wire bundles on right side but it's doable with little patience and plenty beer afterwards . I only had to run +4 clutch cable everything else reached ok. I've read some post saying '14 clutch brake cables ok. The Yaffe instuctions are pretty good give it a shot we'll give u moral support!
Thanks Bro! It may come to doing it myself....I really like those bars!

Old 12-05-2013, 09:28 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

I think I've wired 4-5 sets of these bars, but all were for pre-14 bikes. Hell, I even had a forum member mail me his bars so I could pull his cables, and we've never even met! On those bikes, with cruise, the throttle side has about 20 wires and the clutch side has 12.

On the 2014 bikes, it's going to be much easier.

The trick is that you don't pull the wires through as much as you push them. I started out by dropping a small chain through the bars, attached to a 3/16" vinyl coated cable. I attached that cable to the wires (which are all bundled in heat shrink), and you push them in, then pull them, repeating the process until they're through.

It's really not a tough job at all. Use conduit lubricant too, it's not oily, and cleans up easy.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:47 AM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
I think I've wired 4-5 sets of these bars, but all were for pre-14 bikes. Hell, I even had a forum member mail me his bars so I could pull his cables, and we've never even met! On those bikes, with cruise, the throttle side has about 20 wires and the clutch side has 12.

On the 2014 bikes, it's going to be much easier.

The trick is that you don't pull the wires through as much as you push them. I started out by dropping a small chain through the bars, attached to a 3/16" vinyl coated cable. I attached that cable to the wires (which are all bundled in heat shrink), and you push them in, then pull them, repeating the process until they're through.

It's really not a tough job at all. Use conduit lubricant too, it's not oily, and cleans up easy.
I understand there are a lot less wires going thru for the 14's due to the CANBUS system.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:20 AM
1QUIKC5
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ejvette
I understand there are a lot less wires going thru for the 14's due to the CANBUS system.
There are 4 wires on the left control and 5 wires on the right control. Then you have your twist grip sensor wiring that has wiring for heated grips also. I removed the heated grip wiring on mine during the install.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:06 PM
simmer
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got the Yaffes pre-wired with all Chrome controls from HC Customs. I read alot and did alot of research. Most dealers will charge 8-10 hours of labour just to install and wire because of the 90 degree corner. I bought the 12" bars, all chrome controls ready to install for $1200. Installed them with a buddy in 3.5 hrs. Hardest part was the clutch cable. You'll need some expertise around the mechanism there. Other than that works great.

I am 6'3'' and the 12's are perfect. They come about 2.5" above the fairing but I wanted to be able to actually "see" the bars from the front as well as use my stock mirrors. With 10's you lose vision out of your mirrors so you'll have to find another option.

For the record, I had no issues with HCC. They shipped out fast, and everything came in perfect condition. Hope this helps. I know where you are in making this decision.

PS....I know....the grips!!! Still looking for the "right" set.

Attached Thumbnails Monkey Bars-photo-1.jpg.jpg   Monkey Bars-photo-2.jpg  

Last edited by simmer; 12-05-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:31 PM
KSGLIDEGUY
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I did 12's on my 08 SG and I wired my bars in about 45 minutes. I guess I just got lucky. The 14's are supposed to be easier due to the new can bus wiring. Less wires to run. I followed the wire routing directions from Yaffe and it was not so bad.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:08 PM
ericl
Road Warrior
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by simmer
I got the Yaffes pre-wired with all Chrome controls from HC Customs. I read alot and did alot of research. Most dealers will charge 8-10 hours of labour just to install and wire because of the 90 degree corner. I bought the 12" bars, all chrome controls ready to install for $1200. Installed them with a buddy in 3.5 hrs. Hardest part was the clutch cable. You'll need some expertise around the mechanism there. Other than that works great.

I am 6'3'' and the 12's are perfect. They come about 2.5" above the fairing but I wanted to be able to actually "see" the bars from the front as well as use my stock mirrors. With 10's you lose vision out of your mirrors so you'll have to find another option.

For the record, I had no issues with HCC. They shipped out fast, and everything came in perfect condition. Hope this helps. I know where you are in making this decision.

PS....I know....the grips!!! Still looking for the "right" set.

Yeah that

Old 12-06-2013, 04:05 PM
JohnnyDrama
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have 14" Monkey Bars on my 2001 Road King and am about to upgrade next week to a 2014 SGS. I am putting 12" Monkey Bars on the new bike, and was quoted 4.5 hours of labor from the dealer. 10 hours of labor seems really excessive. The guy who wired my 14 inchers did it in 2-3 hours. Just throwing it out there.