Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

U Bolts for additional saddlebag security?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013 | 09:44 PM
Juan L

Originally Posted by scglide
That's a good idea but I think a longer pin with a washer on the inside?

Old 12-02-2013 | 09:51 PM
DanDman
Road Warrior

Looking at my pics. and seen a weak point. 7/16" wrench will take them right off. Will be changing out to 1/4-20 security bolts on the saddlebag mounting brackets.

Old 12-02-2013 | 09:57 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by DanDman
I went the Masterlock route. Fits nice and tight.
Looks nice and secure, but that looks like it takes a good deal of space in the bags. I need that space when traveling.

Old 12-02-2013 | 09:57 PM
Juan L

Originally Posted by DanDman
Looking at my pics. and seen a weak point. 7/16" wrench will take them right off. Will be changing out to 1/4-20 security bolts on the saddlebag mounting brackets.
Isn't your bag rear mounting ear welded to the metal support frame like my RKC? The front mounting ear is held on by a 7/16 but they can only get that one.

Old 12-02-2013 | 11:18 PM
DanDman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
Looks nice and secure, but that looks like it takes a good deal of space in the bags. I need that space when traveling.
I was thinking that before I got them. Takes up as much space as 3 to 4 books of matches. So if you don't collect matches on your trips, you should be okay.

Originally Posted by rwhisen
Isn't your bag rear mounting ear welded to the metal support frame like my RKC? The front mounting ear is held on by a 7/16 but they can only get that one.
On my '00 they bolt on.

Last edited by DanDman; 12-02-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-03-2013 | 11:14 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member

Sorry about your bags. Thieves are looking for easy targets. I think the Brukus or similar setup and locking your bags is all ya need. They can't just pop them off from the out side so they move on. If they are gonna jimmie the locks and mess with bolts ya are screwed anyway. But it would be easy to drill a couple holes and put a u-bolt around the lower rail if that will ease your mind.

Old 12-03-2013 | 11:31 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member

Have you considered a large rattlesnake in each bag?

Old 12-03-2013 | 11:45 AM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor

By changing the twist pins HD uses to any screw & nut assembly, you have removed the ability of a fast grab by a skilled thief using a screwdriver. If they have to pry open the lids to get the bags off, 99.99% won't bother because time is the enemy of any thief. Also, replacing the twist pins with screws eliminates the possibility of the pins popping off while you're on the road.

I replaced my pins with buttonhead allens ( so you can't use pliers to get the bolt out) & a u-nut assembly shortly after I bought it in 06. I also replaced the bracket bolts with allens just to make sure it wasn't coming off easily. I never gave it a second thought afterwards .... My 2 cents worth.

Old 12-03-2013 | 11:49 AM
Hogpro
|
Former Sponsor

Like I said, your thinking changes once you become the victim. I guess it will stay like it is for now. Fingers crossed, security cameras on.

Old 12-03-2013 | 12:34 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fast Aire
By changing the twist pins HD uses to any screw & nut assembly, you have removed the ability of a fast grab by a skilled thief using a screwdriver. If they have to pry open the lids to get the bags off, 99.99% won't bother because time is the enemy of any thief. Also, replacing the twist pins with screws eliminates the possibility of the pins popping off while you're on the road.

I replaced my pins with buttonhead allens ( so you can't use pliers to get the bolt out) & a u-nut assembly shortly after I bought it in 06. I also replaced the bracket bolts with allens just to make sure it wasn't coming off easily. I never gave it a second thought afterwards .... My 2 cents worth.

+1, I agree that changing the fasteners to a nut bolt like Brukus is the overall best solution. Thief s are looking for the easy target and if they cant pop the back tab off and run chances are they will move on. Of course there is always the one that will try to pop the lids or more and then chances are the damage to the bags will cost as much to repair or replace as if they got the whole bag.

So you are kind of dammed if you do or dont.

It does seem to be a growing problem in So Ca, my dealer Antelope Valley HD had a set stolen in their parking lot a while back

Quick Reply: U Bolts for additional saddlebag security?