Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yaffe Bagger Apes & Avon Grips: Sticking Throttle Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 09:50 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Yaffe Bagger Apes & Avon Grips: Sticking Throttle Issue?

Has anyone on a '09-up Tourer, with Yaffe "Classic Bagger" Apes or Avon Custom Contour Ano Fly Grips, had a "sticking throttle" issue?

This past summer, I had Yaffe Classic Bagger Apes installed, along with Avon Custom Contour Ano Fly Grips.

When I picked up the bike, my indy told me that the throttle grip was sticking a bit, so he had to use an abrasive on the bar end to free the grip.

To make a long story shorter, the issue recurred on my ride home, he did the abrasive-on-the-bar thing again, the throttle grip began to stick again, and now we have to deal with this issue in the Spring, when I pull my bike out of the shed.

Has anyone had a "sticking throttle issue" with Yaffe Classic Bagger Apes or Avon Custom Contour Ano Fly Grips? How did you resolve the issue?

Does anyone have any insights regarding the cause or how to remedy this issue?

Thanks so much for your help.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:58 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderGuy53
Has anyone on a '09-up Tourer, with Yaffe "Classic Bagger" Apes or Avon Custom Contour Ano Fly Grips, had a "sticking throttle" issue?

This past summer, I had Yaffe Classic Bagger Apes installed, along with Avon Custom Contour Ano Fly Grips.

When I picked up the bike, my indy told me that the throttle grip was sticking a bit, so he had to use an abrasive on the bar end to free the grip.

To make a long story shorter, the issue recurred on my ride home, he did the abrasive-on-the-bar thing again, the throttle grip began to stick again, and now we have to deal with this issue in the Spring, when I pull my bike out of the shed.

Has anyone had a "sticking throttle issue" with Yaffe Classic Bagger Apes or Avon Custom Contour Ano Fly Grips? How did you resolve the issue?

Does anyone have any insights regarding the cause or how to remedy this issue?

Thanks so much for your help.
Is the grip sticking to the bar itself or is the control pulling it tight? I would lossen the control assembly and slide it toward the grip a tad and see if that corrects the issue.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:02 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I've heard complaints of this on Avons. I think it had something to do about tolerances on lenght. I had similiar issues with some Kuryakyn ISO's then switched to Kenetics grips and no issues. Btw the stock HD grips worked fine too.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:14 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,805 Likes on 1,583 Posts

I wouldn't recommend this if I had not tried it myself - for over 30K miles...

Literally take the grip off and lightly coat the handlebar face with high temp grease - just a thin film is all you need.
People are gonna freak out but this works the best. The electronics are up inside the bar and will not be affected.
You can also try something nonconductive but found high temp grease caused no issues.

Also make sure your clamshell is properly aligned so it's not causing friction with the grip as it rotates.

lp

Last edited by lp; 12-02-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:04 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Guys, thanks for your input. I just telephoned Avon and spoke to Lee, from their Tech department. He gave me the information posted below.

FACT #1:

Lee told me that the sticking throttle grip is a known quality control issue with the Avon Custom Contour Ano Fly Grip. Avon produced a bad batch of the grips (inside diameter was too small) in 2012.

Anyone with the issue needs to call Avon (800-334-7477) and ask to speak to Lee. Lee will either repair the grip or mail you a replacement grip that will not have this issue.

FACT #2:

Lee also told me that handlebars which are manufactured offshore, and in particular, those made in China, are not consistent, with regard to the bar's outside diameter; therefore, you may be required to sand the throttle side bar end in order for the Avon grips to fit. Avon grips are manufactured to a tolerance of less than 1/32".

Old 03-07-2014, 05:48 PM
Red-line
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bringing this up cuz it merits attention.

I encountered the same issue when installing Avon heated grips onto Yaffe bars.
It's important to note that I had the Avon grips on the oem bars for several months prior to trying them on Yaffe bars.

Encountered the same sticky throttle issue already mentioned. Called up Avon and asked for Lee, however being Daytona bike week, he was out there. Spoke to Charlene who was nice enough to take my info down and text Lee so that he could call me back.
Within the hour Lee called and said he'd set me up with a larger diameter heated grip as this was a known issue with Yaffe bars, and just to call Charlene back to take care of the paperwork.
Charlene is cross-shipping me a grip while I ship her back mine. Credit card will be charged for the unit, but refunded once they receive mine. I just have to pay shipping.

Can't complain with that! Avon has great customer service!