Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone de-badge their Gas tank/2014 FLHTK

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 02:32 AM
Brykwil
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone de-badge their Gas tank/2014 FLHTK

Anyone de-badge their gas tank/2014 FLHTK EG Ultra limited? Im on the fence. I do like the 2014 gas tank emblems, I'm just not sure how long that will last. Any pics of a clean 2014 gas tank mite put me over the edge.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:44 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

No plans of removing mine, I actually like the simplicity of the new badge and enjoy the prism effect that it has as well on that badge and the Limited badge on the fender.. Then again, mine is black so no color confrontation. This pic is my 2010 FLHX but it has the same gas tank your limited does

Attached Thumbnails Anyone de-badge their Gas tank/2014 FLHTK-flhx-mar11.jpg  

Last edited by Gunnysgt; 12-01-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:12 AM
iglideUC
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Debage was not an option for me as the pin stripes are straight lined at the front and not tapered under the clearcoat so i created my own.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone de-badge their Gas tank/2014 FLHTK-hdbadge.jpg  
Old 12-01-2013, 07:13 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

I would post a pic but mine is just a street glide. I definitely do not like the plastic badges. you know the rags always catching on the corner of them when cleaning the comments I get is more people like them. I have been asked a few times why did you take them off.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:25 AM
xhere
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam2010
I would post a pic but mine is just a street glide. I definitely do not like the plastic badges. you know the rags always catching on the corner of them when cleaning the comments I get is more people like them. I have been asked a few times why did you take them off.
Was thinking of taking mine off...Any tips in doing so? So I dont damage paint, lol

Old 12-01-2013, 07:38 AM
CaptainKirk
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Heat and fishing line along with a second set of hands. Take the gas cap off in a well ventilated area. Take a good hair dryer (shouldn't need a heat gun for this) and heat the area where the emblem is. While gently pulling the emblem away from the tank, use the fishing line like dental floss to get between the glue and the paint. Now I used this on a white bike which was pretty forgiving as far as marks go but I think this is the safest way. Don't be in a hurry. I also used goo-gone with no damage to the paint. Only goo-gone though...... Hope this helps....

Old 12-01-2013, 07:45 AM
xhere
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainKirk
Heat and fishing line along with a second set of hands. Take the gas cap off in a well ventilated area. Take a good hair dryer (shouldn't need a heat gun for this) and heat the area where the emblem is. While gently pulling the emblem away from the tank, use the fishing line like dental floss to get between the glue and the paint. Now I used this on a white bike which was pretty forgiving as far as marks go but I think this is the safest way. Don't be in a hurry. I also used goo-gone with no damage to the paint. Only goo-gone though...... Hope this helps....
Thanks, I will give is a try, always been a pia to clean around and the plastic emblem looks cheap...

Old 12-01-2013, 08:12 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Goo gone claims to remove paint. I would look for another option, my dad tried to use goo gone on the front of my enclosed trailer when I was taking stickers off, and to this day you can see where it ate the paint on the trailer, the runs, the drips, everything is visible.

I wouldn't use fishing line either, but that's just me, one bit of dirt

My boss told me to use brake cleaner when we got bought out and changed decals on out pickup truck doors, heat, peel, then when nothing was left but the glue I did what he told me.

Surprisingly on that base coat/clear coat paint (2011 F150) it came out perfect, I re-waxed the door, and it is absolutely as new.

Having said that, I have never tried brake cleaner on any of my Harleys, but I leave the badges on.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Tzrider
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

This is my 14 SG tank, hopefully it will give you an idea as to how your may look

Old 12-01-2013, 09:12 AM
Hedgehog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can the front fender be de-badged or will it leave holes in the fender?

Quick Reply: Anyone de-badge their Gas tank/2014 FLHTK