Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Learn Me About Bars

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 06:34 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Learn Me About Bars

Okay, I've been reading up the last couple of days about handlebars.

I'm thinking about getting the OL a set of 14" or 16" bars for her 14 RK. She's not too short (5'6") but would like the bars closer to her and the reach between the bars closer together.

Is this the setback that I am looking for to get the bars closer to her? And, how is this measured?

Old 11-30-2013, 06:45 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Sounds like you are looking for a narrow end to end width,and a bar with more pull back. End to end distance is measured grip tip to grip tip. Pull back is the amount of angle of the hand grip towards the rider.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:37 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

Apes are not gonna get the bars closer to her and the reach between the bars closer together. Ya ought to be looking at some narrow pullbacks, maybe buckhorns? Look at the Flanders and Kromewerks sites for handlebar dimensions.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:41 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

I think she'd like a set of Heritage Style bars, cheap and if you can get by the goofy looks they are comfy. I'm glad I got some and I'm 6'+ and even with her height they would work I bet.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:46 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
Apes are not gonna get the bars closer to her and the reach between the bars closer together. Ya ought to be looking at some narrow pullbacks, maybe buckhorns? Look at the Flanders and Kromewerks sites for handlebar dimensions.
Not really true. If you rotate them towards the rider, they do get closer plus some apes have a bit more pull back...my stock bars were too far away. The reach is perfect with my apes...

Old 11-30-2013, 10:43 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DeneFXDWG
I think she'd like a set of Heritage Style bars, cheap and if you can get by the goofy looks they are comfy. I'm glad I got some and I'm 6'+ and even with her height they would work I bet.
I don't get the that part. No, they don't look like apes, but GOOFY?? You're killin' me, man. Heritage Style bars are $80 and very comfortable. Plus there is no extra money for cable/wire extensions. A good bang for the buck. Maybe I'm just cheap

Last edited by one-up; 11-30-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:57 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 564 Likes on 394 Posts

The stock bars are already similar to the Heritage style bars.I would recommend the 12" fat apes from Khromewerks.Replace the stock risers with FLD ( Dyna Switchback), these bring the bars an inch closer and a 1/2" higher.Another possibilty is the Khromewerks mini apes on the 2 1/2 pullback risers from JP cycles. These bars would have to be notched for TBW, and both sets would require a top riser clamp and a Streetslammer cover,and probably brake line and extended clutch cable. There are endless possibilities,good luck!

Old 11-30-2013, 11:32 PM
tehan2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 5,565 Likes on 1,248 Posts

have her sit on her bike and close her eyes. Then ask her to put her hands up to where she would like her hands to be when she rides. That's where you should get the bars to be.

I'm usually against dealerships for parts, but if she does this at the dealer. They'll be able to put a set of bars that land right where she want her hands, Then all the guess work is gone

Old 12-01-2013, 07:46 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,805 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I usually just have the tech call me before they button everything down, sit on the bike with someone holding it upright and feet on the floorboards and move the bars where I prefer them. Then they are torqued down and everything is good to go.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:26 AM
damquick1
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You might want to try the RK reduced reach bars, much like the Heritage style but the angle of the gripends are slightly different and they look as if the pullback is greater. I just put Heritage style on and it really reduced the between the shoulder pain. I'm 5'8 and they fit me perfectly.

Quick Reply: Learn Me About Bars