Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated jacket/controller not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 05:10 PM
MontyCop05
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Heated jacket/controller not working

Just installed the harness to the batter for my HD heated jacket. Also got the HD dual source controller. For some reason I can't get the jacket to work. Confirmed good power from the battery. Power is getting to the controller also cause the lights will light up green/yellow when the dial is turned up. Went for a ride thinking it would warm right up...no dice. Made sure I was hooking up the right wires also. Confusing the hell out of me. Anybody have this gear that can chime in and maybe help me figure out if I'm a big idiot or if my controller or jacket is no good?

Old 11-30-2013, 05:31 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Be aware that your 2014 bike has a Canbus electrical system and it may need some form of adaptation to make accessories work. What does your owner's manual say about adding electrical stuff? You may need to make some sort of adaptation to make your jacket work.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:31 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Make certain you are hooking up to the jacket liner plug and not the one running to the gloves.
If you have a dual controller make sure you have the correct lead from the controller hooked up and turned on.
If these two scenario's do not help you I am out of ideas......

Last edited by SpiderPig; 11-30-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:41 PM
MontyCop05
Road Master

Originally Posted by grbrown
Be aware that your 2014 bike has a Canbus electrical system and it may need some form of adaptation to make accessories work. What does your owner's manual say about adding electrical stuff? You may need to make some sort of adaptation to make your jacket work.
Doesn't apply. It's direct to the battery.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:46 PM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 151 Posts

Check to make sure the fuse isn't blown on the harness. Have the same setup only its Gerbing and I had to change the fuse out. Warmed right up. Hope that helps.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:49 PM
MontyCop05
Road Master

Originally Posted by Kesean
Check to make sure the fuse isn't blown on the harness. Have the same setup only its Gerbing and I had to change the fuse out. Warmed right up. Hope that helps.
Nope checked it. Controller has power anyhow so I know the the fuse isn't blown.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:53 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Take the controller out of the loop and hook the jacket to the harness.If you are hooking it to the correct lead and no heat. Take a trip to the dealer as you may have a bad jacket.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:54 PM
pacemakertom
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

Turn off the thermostat when you start the bike . Turn it on after the bike is running.
Same thing happened to me and found out that the thermostat will shut off if it is on then start bike.
red end to red end, white to white and black to black on plugs.

Tom

Old 11-30-2013, 05:54 PM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 151 Posts

Well if you tried everything else then it has to be the jacket is my only other guess.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:30 PM
Ghostrider1967
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the gerbing heated jacket liner with the HD dual controller hooked up to the pigtail directly to the battery terminals on my 2014 FLHTK. It works great. I don't use the gloves because of the heated grips. If your getting the lights on the contoller you should have 12 or more volts. On my jacket there are 3 plugs with color tape at the ends. Red from contoller goes the the pigtail to the battery. The other goes to the jacket and the other one is a accessory to go to pants or socks. On my jacket you can unzip the right inner lining and see all the connections that go to the inner heating elements. Maybe check these inner connections? Hope this helps you?

Quick Reply: Heated jacket/controller not working