Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated jacket/controller not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 06:54 PM
GSHOG
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pacemakertom
Turn off the thermostat when you start the bike . Turn it on after the bike is running.
Same thing happened to me and found out that the thermostat will shut off if it is on then start bike.
red end to red end, white to white and black to black on plugs.

Tom
This does not happen with my '14 Limited. I have the Gerbing mircowire jacket with the dual controller and the jacket will heat if the controller is on at start up.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:07 PM
FL450
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My gloves wouldn't warm up today. Jacket was good. Both lights were on. Got home rechecked connections and continuity with an ohm meter. All good. Hooked it up to a car battery and everything worked fine. Only thing I'm sure about was how cold hands were. Try to check each segment in the connections with a meter if you can. Also try swapping out the red and white.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:25 PM
pavin
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had issues with my dual controller at times. Magee I bend a wire or something but the lights are on and no heat. I stop wiggle everything replug and it works. Happened a number of times, now I just run with the on/ off switch, no problems.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:32 PM
jrbean1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had the same problem and it was the wire by the connection. But I only had problems with one glove not both.. Sent jacket control and gloves back to garbing and they did replace the glove. no problems now.. you need to do process of limitation. hook the gloves up direct to plug from battery to see if they get warm.. I know its a pain in the a**

Old 11-30-2013, 07:42 PM
MontyCop05
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jrbean1
had the same problem and it was the wire by the connection. But I only had problems with one glove not both.. Sent jacket control and gloves back to garbing and they did replace the glove. no problems now.. you need to do process of limitation. hook the gloves up direct to plug from battery to see if they get warm.. I know its a pain in the a**
Don't have the gloves yet. Waiting to see if I really need em. Hands behind the fairing with heated grips. So far so good. Once I switch to apes then I'll have to get gloves.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:40 PM
b17467
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Turn off the thermostat when you start the bike . Turn it on after the bike is running.
Same thing happened to me and found out that the thermostat will shut off if it is on then start bike.
red end to red end, white to white and black to black on plugs.

Tom
Yep

I was told the controller will sense low voltage and shut itself off, if it's on when you crank it over. I always just start the bike and then plug it in now.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:48 PM
MontyCop05
Road Master

I think it may have been a combo of the low voltage thing and my own stupidity. I'm thinking I may have had the wrong *** turned on when I went for a ride. As for the low voltage issue, the jacket wasn't getting warm when I had it on and plugged into the bike when it wasn't running. However I was just messing with it again, and when the bike is off and on the tender the jacket would heat up. Although I didn't feel like it was getting all that hot. I've never had heated gear before so I have nothing to gauge my opinion on. I did test the heated gloves at the dealer once and those things got REAL hot. I feel like the jacket should get much hotter being that the dude at the dealer said don't wear it over just a t-shirt (short sleeves) cause it could burn or irritate the skin...bogus?

Old 11-30-2013, 10:39 PM
pacemakertom
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

How does your jacket fit.
It should be snug. Too loose and the jacket may not follow the contours of your body.

When I am riding I have a hollow area on my lower chest where the jacket bulges out. ( big stomach).

If I press it in, the jacket makes contact with my shirt and you can feel the heat.
On a 40 degree day , I have to turn down the temp, getting to hot..
Tom

Old 11-30-2013, 10:47 PM
MontyCop05
Road Master

How does your jacket fit. It should be snug. Too loose and the jacket may not follow the contours of your body.
As far as I can't tell it fits right. Guy at the dealership said it was right. Tried the next size down and it was skintight. Felt like a wrapped sausage.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:50 PM
b17467
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the Dual Source Jacket and I just wear a long sleeve T shirt.

Quick Reply: Heated jacket/controller not working