Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshields for tall people question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 02:48 PM
07classic
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshields for tall people question

Any info would be appreciated about windshield heights. For the first time yesterday I too my 07 Classic on the highway and the buffeting was unreal over 50mph. Im 6'5" and I changed the stock windshield to a 6 1/2 " smoked windshield. If anyone has had this problem any soulutions would be greatly appreciated and/or different windshield mfgs. Thanks

Old 03-14-2007, 04:25 PM
schoney
Tourer
Default RE: Windshields for tall people question

Call 1800-397-4844, that's J&P Cycles, and ask them to send you a catalog. They will do that free. It's a big book with any thing you want to build or change on your bike. They have all types of windshields and sizes. I've used them for years. Your windshield should be just below your eye level. I am 6 ft and stock windshields fit me just right. being 6-5 you may need a taller windshield.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:30 PM
gordon188
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am 6'1" and the top of the stock windshield is right at eye level, it is distracting to say the least. Should I go taller or shorter? I am thinking shorter.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I recommend definitely going shorter so you can see over it. I'm 6'2" and the windscreen was right at eye levelespecially after a while in the saddle (natural slouching). I cut a couple of inchesoff. I caneasily see over it and the wind hits at thetop of my helmet with very little if any buffeting.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:59 PM
mistermooster
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gordon188

I am 6'1" and the top of the stock windshield is right at eye level, it is distracting to say the least. Should I go taller or shorter? I am thinking shorter.
You would probably do ok with an 8", or 9" to be safe. If you get the kind that has a recurve at the top, it adds a virtual 2" to the height by pushing the wind up higher at speed. I had 7 1/2" on a Streetglide and loved it.
Also, anyone with a fairing would probably benefit by adding fairing lowers, to keep wind from coming up over the tank.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:39 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

07 , the way I did this might work for you.
The stock shield should be 12" on your bike (it was on my 06 EGS) and I knew it was too tall for me.
At 5'9" long legs and short body with the stock seat , I looked 3" under the top of the shield.
I found this guide to be helpful.
http://www.fastaire.com/Measurement.html
I ran with a piece of pinstripe tape for about a week in different spots until I figured on 9" to be best for me.
The shield wound up being just under the horizon for me which seems ok.
Then I borrowed a buddies Fastaire 9" and it was about right for me,so I picked up a 9".
At your height , the 12" might be pretty close for you.
The fastaire shields are cheap enough to pick up a couple of taller models and when you find the right combo , stick with it.
I still use my 12" when it's really cold out anyway.
I might check out these
http://www.clearviewshields.com/shop/product.php?id=11
Because of the lip looks like it would be just the cats butt for what I want to get from my shield.
Good luck.
Mick

Old 03-14-2007, 08:01 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To each their own, ah reckon....ah like the extra eye/face protection afforded by bein' BEHIND a shield, so ah opted fer a Tulsa extra tall, tinted (cuts a BUNCHA glare from cage headlights) with a vent. If ya call 'em, Allen Smith (the owner) is usually available ta answer any questions ya might have. Don't have the link w/me (on the road), but Google "Tulsa Enterprises"...

Old 03-22-2007, 02:57 PM
gordon188
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the tinted 8" from fastaire, fast shipping and total price of $37.00 Went for a ride this morning and I love it. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:36 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm 6' 2" and on my RK the windshield is almost perfect. I can see over it with no problems and I get no buffeting. I rented an Ultra a couple of weeks ago and the stock windhshield was driving me crazy. My line of sight was right at the top inch of the windshield and going uphill it was even worse. Made me realize that if I ever get an Ultra I need to go with a shorter windshield.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:36 PM
SaltyBagger
Tourer

I'm with TexasRedneck on this - I'm going taller than stock. I put an 8" on and the wind caught me right in the eyes. With the 11" stock, without my helmet, it is very comfortable. With my helmet on I just get caught right at the top of the lid and I get buffeted around pretty badly. I'm going to try a 13" from J&P or DKirk and see how that works out. I would try fastaire but they don't do a 13 in the 5 hole version. Just FYI, I'm 6'1" on a stock seat.

Quick Reply: Windshields for tall people question