Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Oil Cooler...Big Deal or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013 | 08:26 AM
budsbike
|
Advanced
Default No Oil Cooler...Big Deal or Not?

I picked up a 14 Limited after the 110 HD party and knew before I bought it it didn't come with an oil cooler. To me that is the one thing that would have been nice to have on my new bike. It would be interesting to know how much of difference there is in oil temperature between a 14 Limited and a 14 Ultra in a side by side comparision. Has any one discussed this or have any information about the oil temp difference? I'm not looking to bash the 14 Limited's (I love mine!) just looking for some oil temp comparision information.

Old 11-28-2013 | 08:33 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member

Only real way to know and be relevant would be to install an oil temp gauge... If I recall, the new ones only have space for two gauges, used to be, you'd remove the air temperature gauge and put in their accessory gauge kit. Now, you might be better off just getting the oil tank cap with the temperature digital read out...accurate enough for your purposes, I think...I had one in the tank of my last two bikes, I was satisfied with their accuracy.

That said, I'm thinking that the Twinky engine, especially the large ones, really can use whatever help they can in cooling the engine and the oil. If I were to get one...and I won't...that would be one of the very first things I'd buy...after the service manual!

Old 11-28-2013 | 08:55 AM
budsbike
|
Advanced

I have the dip stick oil temp gauge on my wish list now. I will buy an oil cooler for my bike when one becomes available. I believe that HD does not offer an oil cooler for the twin cooled bikes. If there is an aftermarket oil cooler that works on a twin cooled bike I would like to know about it.

Old 11-28-2013 | 09:07 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior

Very surprising it didn't come with a cooler. I thought all 103 and above put them on by default. My 2012 FLHTC came with one. Things that make one go hhmmmm...........

Old 11-28-2013 | 09:35 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

One suggestion about the digital dipstick. Keep the stock one in your bag, I've heard stories of them being stolen on major runs or rally's That would sure suck finding out the hard way hat it was missing.

Old 11-28-2013 | 09:37 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by VTL nut
Very surprising it didn't come with a cooler. I thought all 103 and above put them on by default. My 2012 FLHTC came with one. Things that make one go hhmmmm...........
The new "twin cooled" does not have one.

Engineers probably figured those bikes didn't really need one?
The "twin cool" design basically accomplishes the same thing, and probably better at it.

Old 11-28-2013 | 09:46 AM
budsbike
|
Advanced

I also assumed the twin cooled motors didn't need an oil cooler but I still would like to know how different the Twin Cooled to 100% Air Cooled engine oil temps are when operated under the same conditions. Someone with a buddy that has the other model (one of each) needs to do the research for us who want to know!