Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Metzeler 888 Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 02:16 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My Metzeler 888 Review

I have a 2013 FLHTCU that I took delivery of the 7th of July. By November, I had worn out the rear tire with just shy of 13,000 miles. I read all I could looking to see if there was a better tire than the OEM Dunlop’s. I ordered both front and rear from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. I paid $193.99 for the 180/65B-16 rear and $148.99 for the 130/80B-17 front. Shipping was fast and I received them in three days. I had a local Indy mount them for me and once I got them back, I filled them to the upper limits with Ride-On. I have put 300 local miles and 1400 highway miles on the tires since November 13th.

Price – Good. The tires were expensive but cheaper than some alternatives. I feel like I got a good deal.

Front End Looseness –Better. With this I mean, before, I could slightly move the bar back and forth at higher speeds and the front felt real loose.

Tar Snakes – Great. No more following them.

Cracks – Good. The front end seems to ride through them and not with them.

Noise – Worse. These tires are noisier but once over parking lot speeds, and tunes on, you can’t hear them.

Smoothness – Worse. This was the first thing I noticed. They are much harder ride than OEM. I thought they might calm down when warmed up. Only just a little bit.

Traction – Good. I have had traction slips during downshifting once or twice and never did with the stock.

Water – Same. Didn’t really have any issue with them. Puddles were displaced just fine and I never did feel the bike get loose.

So far, I am pleased with the tires. Now, I just have to see how they wear in the longer run.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:01 PM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll agree with you on all points except the following two:

Smoothness, Traction are loads better than the 402's on my '07.

I came from Dunlop 402's on an '07 though so have no idea what a 2013 has on it. The 402's are sheer crap compared to the Metzlers. I too am interested to see how they wear as well. I'll be happy to get 12k or so out of them.

I am happy so far!

Old 11-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Lancemchn
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After being an avid 880 user for years, I decided to try the 888's. Agree with you on all points except wet traction. I don't feel nearly the same comfort level as I had previously, especially with a FM107. So far I have 10k miles on them and they STILL have a good amount of tread left, not even close to replacing yet. Definitely a harder compound I used to get about 7k out of a rear and close to double for a front. These seem to almost wear the same and I ride HARD. On the fence whether I stick with the 888's or try the Commanders next.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:37 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior

Thanks guys for the input. What pressures are you running them at. Right now, I'm at 40f/42r and have thought about bringing them down a little. Maybe 38/40 or something.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:40 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sargek
I'll agree with you on all points except the following two:

Smoothness, Traction are loads better than the 402's on my '07.

I came from Dunlop 402's on an '07 though so have no idea what a 2013 has on it. The 402's are sheer crap compared to the Metzlers. I too am interested to see how they wear as well. I'll be happy to get 12k or so out of them.

I am happy so far!
I don't know personally about the 402s but have been told that they are worse than the stock 408 front and 407 rear on the later bikes.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:29 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lancemchn
After being an avid 880 user for years, I decided to try the 888's. Agree with you on all points except wet traction. I don't feel nearly the same comfort level as I had previously, especially with a FM107. So far I have 10k miles on them and they STILL have a good amount of tread left, not even close to replacing yet. Definitely a harder compound I used to get about 7k out of a rear and close to double for a front. These seem to almost wear the same and I ride HARD. On the fence whether I stick with the 888's or try the Commanders next.
i have the 888 on my other bike and agree about wet traction. i do not like them in rain. i wont be buying them again, i loved my commander II i had on my SG. will have them on my RG soon as i need to replace

Old 12-02-2013, 08:52 AM
scaldwellk
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have these and agree they suck in the rain. I had Shinko before and even they held the road better in the rain. These don't feel good at all on wet roads. Maybe some Commanders next time?

Old 12-23-2013, 11:29 AM
skiindean
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my Dunlops replaced with the ME880 F and ME888 R on my 13 StreetGlide. Historically I raved over how sticky the 880s were, and loved them. This experience is quite the opposite and I'm very disappointed in the 888. Wet traction is terrible, albeit I did have pressure at the high end of mfg recommendation (44-50), so I dropped my pressure to 44. Wet traction was better. Bike skipped out twice on me under dry conditions yesterday. So, I called Metzeler, now dropping pressure closer to Harley's recommendation of 40. Metzeler said they won't warrantee them but I need to have confidence in my tires. Kinda looking forward to stripping them off.May try commanders next or go back to stock. Very disappointed in these Metz. Dean

Old 12-24-2013, 12:00 AM
sel53
Tourer

Originally Posted by skiindean
Metzeler said they won't warrantee them
Do they not have a warranty? If they do, why won't they?

Old 12-24-2013, 12:16 AM
ALUCARD19
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried the AVON Cobra AV72 and the AV71 I have used these before and they handle really well in the wet or dry when my stock tires go this spring I will be going back to the AVONS.

Quick Reply: My Metzeler 888 Review