Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First radio problem tonight..ugh

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 07:08 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default First radio problem tonight..ugh

Well I hadn't rode since Monday before last and everything was fine. Today I get the bike out because it warmed up to 49 and the sun was out. Started out listening to the radio and then when I tried to listen to my IPod it just said reading and I could not get to a playlist or control anything but it did start playing a random song. So I tried to go to my iPhone 5 that is bluetoothed to the bike but that said waiting for Bluetooth connection. I stopped by the dealer and they did the software update but that did nothing to fix the problem. Then when I unplugged the iPod it still showed up and if I selected it the reading message would just cycle through. And if I selected the iPhone with the iPod unplugged it still said waiting on Bluetooth connection. I went home and pulled the main fuse on the bike trying to reset the radio and this worked to remove the iPod that was unplugged and now I can select my iPhone and listen to the music on it. But when I plug the dang iPod back in the problem starts all over again. I tried a new iPod cable and the same thing happened. I then had to pull the fuse and start over. This time I plugged my iPhone in using the USB cable and the same problem occurred and I had to pull the fuse again to start over. Decided to just leave the iPhone connected by Bluetooth for now so I can listen to music but this has to get fixed. Does anyone know how to do a reset on the radio? Does pulling the main fuse cut all power to the radio? Because the time and presets were still set.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:38 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

I don't know squat about iPhones, but I know connecting my Galaxy S4 via USB can react differently, depending upon options set in the phone itself. I avoid the whole issue by only connecting my phone via BT. When the phone needs to be charged, it goes into the TP using a mobile charger adapter plugged into the TP cigarette plug. I use a USB stick with music installed as a media source, although I can also select & play music via BT on my phone too.

I know when pairing the phone via BT, there are choices regarding HFP (phone functions) and A2DP (music functions); you can select one or both (pages 48 to 52 in Boom owners manual).

So, this gives 2 possible sources for the problem: the phone's USB connection settings could be incorrect, or the 6.5 Boom is confused because the device music is connected via both BT & USB at the same time.

IDK for sure, but you may need to delete your device & repair with different options?

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Old 11-26-2013, 08:10 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Webo
Well I hadn't rode since Monday before last and everything was fine. Today I get the bike out because it warmed up to 49 and the sun was out. Started out listening to the radio and then when I tried to listen to my IPod it just said reading and I could not get to a playlist or control anything but it did start playing a random song. So I tried to go to my iPhone 5 that is bluetoothed to the bike but that said waiting for Bluetooth connection. I stopped by the dealer and they did the software update but that did nothing to fix the problem. Then when I unplugged the iPod it still showed up and if I selected it the reading message would just cycle through. And if I selected the iPhone with the iPod unplugged it still said waiting on Bluetooth connection. I went home and pulled the main fuse on the bike trying to reset the radio and this worked to remove the iPod that was unplugged and now I can select my iPhone and listen to the music on it. But when I plug the dang iPod back in the problem starts all over again. I tried a new iPod cable and the same thing happened. I then had to pull the fuse and start over. This time I plugged my iPhone in using the USB cable and the same problem occurred and I had to pull the fuse again to start over. Decided to just leave the iPhone connected by Bluetooth for now so I can listen to music but this has to get fixed. Does anyone know how to do a reset on the radio? Does pulling the main fuse cut all power to the radio? Because the time and presets were still set.
That bike has only seen warm weather.. It ain't used to being cold! LOL

Old 11-26-2013, 08:16 PM
flhxs103
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
That bike has only seen warm weather.. It ain't used to being cold! LOL
Then mine might not work at all. Since she is put away for winter, I'll let the southern folks work out the newer bugs.
I've had to turn mine off then back on and it worked but this is a new one for sure.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:22 PM
Webo
Road Warrior

Just did another test, this time I took a couple of songs in mp3 format and loaded them on a flash drive and plugged it into the bike. The infotainment read the flash drive and started playing the music. I then loaded a song from itunes in mp4 format on the flash drive and the infotainment system read the flash drive and played the song in mp4 format as well. This tells me the USB cable is working fine and the infotainment system is reading and playing devices and songs throughout the USB. So somehow the dang thing just doesn't like to communicate to an Apple device through the USB connection since it got cold. This makes no since at all but for the time being I'll load my music on a flash drive so Ill have direct access without using Bluetooth.

Last edited by Webo; 11-26-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:31 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Do a soft reset on your ipod and you'll be ok

Sent from my SCH-I545 using IB AutoGroup

Old 11-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Webo
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Do a soft reset on your ipod and you'll be ok

I did try holding down the menu and center button to restart the iPod. But your thinking plug it into iTunes and do a factory reset and then put the music back on the iPod? I think I will try that in the morning.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:44 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

When you soft reset, you should see the apple logo on the screen. If you don't it hasn't been soft reset.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:41 PM
Webo
Road Warrior

Yes I did the soft reset but that did not correct the problem either. I give up..lol

Old 11-26-2013, 09:59 PM
xhere
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an older iPod that was constantly locking up when USB was used, thought it was the infotainment center, bought new iPod and so far works flawlessly.

Quick Reply: First radio problem tonight..ugh