Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My seemingly never ending issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 03:15 PM
DZLBurner
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friend of mine had a similar issue... Erratic Idle, No Start, Fast Idle.... He swapped most of the parts excluding the ECU... Ended up being a short in a wire under the tank that ran to Throttle Body. Sounds suspiciously similar considering that issues started after a tank R&R.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:34 PM
SmokeyJoe101
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DZLBurner
Friend of mine had a similar issue... Erratic Idle, No Start, Fast Idle.... He swapped most of the parts excluding the ECU... Ended up being a short in a wire under the tank that ran to Throttle Body. Sounds suspiciously similar considering that issues started after a tank R&R.

Lord I hope not, I would not even know where to begin the hunt.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:45 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

i have a 2012 RGC CVO (fltrxse) skunk model. I have only experienced what you are describing one time. Had a PC 5 plugged into the ECM, bike started acting funny, idle bouncing around, dying at lights due to low idle.

I pulled the PC 5 off and installed the tune with a PV. No more issue. I am running the full sac x pipe, full sac re-cores and a ventilator vs the heavy breather.

I think you should look at the connection for the ECM. Between replacing the PC 5 and installing the PV, i had about a two week wait. During this time, i zip tied the connectors where the PC5 connected to the ECM. This stopped my issue as it appeared the vibration was causing the PC5 to act up.

Once the PV was installed and i hooked the connector back up to the ECM like factory, no problems, however i still zip tied the connector to the ECM just in case. 15K miles later, have never experienced another problem. Could happen tomorrow, however i doubt it will.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoFXDC
Sounds like your ECM doesn't like aftermarket tuners. Have you tried a SERT or having the stealer do it?

A stock bike that runs correctly is better than aftermarket crap added that makes the bike run like ****.
There is no after market tuner for it to like or not like. With the PV, as with the SERT, its just used to put a map on the ECM. So there is only a map.

There could be a problem with the map, but I doubt it.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,044 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe101
Are you talking about the cables in the cable tray under the tank?
I'm not sure of the layout , but yes you mentioned having the tank off it may be worth a look to make sure you / factory don't have some thing pinched or as I mentioned an over tightened factory zip tie worn through insulation. Did the dealer find any stored codes ?

Old 11-24-2013, 05:26 PM
Boomer1143
Road Master
Received 183 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I would check to make sure the Rubber cap is on the purge tube on the throttle body. They are known to fall off.

Next thing I would check is the throttle control connector on the throttle body. It could be the actual unit having intermittent issues, or just a matter of the connectors needing cleaning and a little dielectric grease.
+1 Rubber cap on purge tube came off on mine. It's an easy fix.

Al

Old 11-24-2013, 08:05 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 236 Posts

Your o2 sensors are in the right holes?

Old 11-24-2013, 08:50 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Unplug and replug several times the plug connection on the throttle body, apply some dielectric compound and re install the terminal connector housing. if you look at the throttle body the terminal I am talking about is behind the air filter on the back of the throttle body. It's the only wire harness plugged into it.
These are also known to act up and many have needed replaced.
I also believe it was a TSB and likely would be a free repair.

Mark

Old 11-25-2013, 12:53 AM
SmokeyJoe101
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Stopit
I'm not sure of the layout , but yes you mentioned having the tank off it may be worth a look to make sure you / factory don't have some thing pinched or as I mentioned an over tightened factory zip tie worn through insulation. Did the dealer find any stored codes ?
No codes, tank is coming off

Old 11-25-2013, 12:55 AM
SmokeyJoe101
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Boomer1143
+1 Rubber cap on purge tube came off on mine. It's an easy fix.

Al
Checked it, it is in place.

Quick Reply: My seemingly never ending issue