Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My seemingly never ending issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,044 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe101
Mike - niether of the tuners are the piggy back type. I forgot to mention i had the gas tank off to run a the PV cable. This may be related or not, but it seems this started again shortly after hitting a big bump in the road.
Might want to closely check that harness under your tank , we some times clip the zip ties on harnesses at work. They have a machine that zips them so tight they sometimes wear through the the wire insulation and cause intermittent problems. Just wrap some electricians tape an inch or so down from where the zip tie was and inspect the wire's at the spot of the zip tie.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:55 PM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default hope u dont have what I had happen

sounds like your idle is similar to mine, not smooth drops down then bike dies, no engine codes. I checked connections over and over for months. put bike away for winter does the same thing in the spring. I pull the cam chest appart and find 2 rollers starting to pit up on the lifters. maybe even the roller bearings failing but didnt feel stickey by hand, under load who knows. so i put in 4 new lifters new set of cams only because the 255 cam with my 10.5;1 compression is way too high using those cams ccp about 212 range. cleared the problem right up. no ideas if a lifter wasnt pumping up or the roller wheel was sticking once and awhile. it just kept stalling almost every time I stopped at a light.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:56 PM
SmokeyJoe101
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stopit
Might want to closely check that harness under your tank , we some times clip the zip ties on harnesses at work. They have a machine that zips them so tight they sometimes wear through the the wire insulation and cause intermittent problems. Just wrap some electricians tape an inch or so down from where the zip tie was and inspect the wire's at the spot of the zip tie.
Are you talking about the cables in the cable tray under the tank?

Old 11-24-2013, 02:57 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Could bad gas or water in the tank be a possibility? Just trying to think of other things that might cause these symptoms.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:59 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Your tuner is NOT the problem. TTS and PV are both flash tuners just like harley uses. I would check all the electrical connectors and grounds, especially around the throttle body. Sounds like an idle air problem? Could even be Evaporative purge valve? Good Luck! These things are crazy to find sometimes...

Old 11-24-2013, 03:01 PM
SmokeyJoe101
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 2009blackpearle
sounds like your idle is similar to mine, not smooth drops down then bike dies, no engine codes. I checked connections over and over for months. put bike away for winter does the same thing in the spring. I pull the cam chest appart and find 2 rollers starting to pit up on the lifters. maybe even the roller bearings failing but didnt feel stickey by hand, under load who knows. so i put in 4 new lifters new set of cams only because the 255 cam with my 10.5;1 compression is way too high using those cams ccp about 212 range. cleared the problem right up. no ideas if a lifter wasnt pumping up or the roller wheel was sticking once and awhile. it just kept stalling almost every time I stopped at a light.
A lifter did bleed down once about 500 miles ago. I can't see this being my issue with so little miles on the bike....

Old 11-24-2013, 03:03 PM
SmokeyJoe101
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FinalShot
Could bad gas or water in the tank be a possibility? Just trying to think of other things that might cause these symptoms.
Is there a way to test this theory? Certainly is possible...

Old 11-24-2013, 03:04 PM
SmokeyJoe101
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
Your tuner is NOT the problem. TTS and PV are both flash tuners just like harley uses. I would check all the electrical connectors and grounds, especially around the throttle body. Sounds like an idle air problem? Could even be Evaporative purge valve? Good Luck! These things are crazy to find sometimes...
Where is the Evaporative purge valve?

Old 11-24-2013, 03:08 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe101
Is there a way to test this theory? Certainly is possible...
You could drain all gas from the tank into a clear container and see if water sinks to the bottom.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:10 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FinalShot
You could drain all gas from the tank into a clear container and see if water sinks to the bottom.
I know I run in to this issue with my boat on a semi regular basis at the start of each year. I can drain my water separator filter and see the water in a glass dish though. And the symptoms you describe are very similar to my boat. Very strange idle at times and the RPM surges when under power.

Quick Reply: My seemingly never ending issue