Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot Oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Floyd Who
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot Oil

I haven't posted in a long time. Thinking I'll get back into this. I crashed a 2011 Street Glide and pretty much knocked me out for a year but I'm back and riding the same one I crashed. Last month I'm on I95 in central florida it's about 85 out and there is a crash about 10 miles ahead and I missed the exit to get off. So I'm stuck in 3 to 5 mph traffic for what seemed like forever. I have an oil temp gage and I seen higher oil temps than I ever have seen, 285 and a little higher. I run Amsoil and everyone says nothing bad happened to the oil but man was it HOTTTT. So I got to looking around and Jagg makes a powered oil cooler (has a fan in it) and then found the HOT JUGS website were they blow air across your cylinder head. Anyone had any experience with either of these products???

Old 11-23-2013, 02:03 PM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,732 Likes on 524 Posts

A lot of the members here are using these...

http://www.wardspartswerks.com/cooling-fans-2.html

and they swear by them. I'm saving up my $$$ so I can get me some!!

Also, if you do add a oil cooler, you can get a different thermostat for it from Jason as well. I got some different thermostats from him not to long ago, and they work just like he said they will. As he says, it's better to get a jump on your high temps, than to start trying to cool the oil after it reaches the so called "normal" temp of 185.

http://www.wardspartswerks.com/thermostats.html

Last edited by xwhyz1959; 11-23-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:07 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Lot's of people running them, I've got the Jagg cooler without the fan. I make it a point to avoid sitting and idling in traffic and do whatever I have to to get the hell outta there.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:11 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

My FCS is OTW from Jason.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:28 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

An oil cooler without any air moving thru it is still going to get hot, same thing for the jugs. Id be curious to know which fan cooler would yield the best results

Old 11-23-2013, 02:52 PM
Floyd Who
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vnots that's what I was hoping for from the post. If the forced air oil cooler is going to lower my oil temp to under 240 at idle that would suit me but I can't find any info on what to expect if installed. the cylinder head fans look interesting especially the ones that xwhyz1959 mentioned. they look a lot better than the hot jugs one I looked at. $269 aint bad either.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:41 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Just turn the bike off, before temps get too high, epecially if the traffic is not moving, or only doing so every now and then. An oil cooler isn't going to help you, so keep your money in your wallet!

Old 11-24-2013, 07:46 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Just turn the bike off, before temps get too high, epecially if the traffic is not moving, or only doing so every now and then. An oil cooler isn't going to help you, so keep your money in your wallet!
Exactly. The temps the OP mentions in traffic are not bad at all and if they are accurate, then consider yourself fortunate that they did not get any higher.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:47 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are the factory oil coolers on the 103's set up in a bypass configuration or do they route all of the oil through them. If full duty, they will make a difference under normal driving conditions. It will help keep the temp down so long was air is moving through them.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:48 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cylinder head fans help keep your engine out of heat management. They do little for oil temperature. A fan equipped oil cooler will cool your oil a bit, but does little for head temperature. If you want to address the heat issues of idling in traffic, I would suggest both. The bottom line is that if you stay in traffic long enough, you will melt down your engine no matter what you do....

Quick Reply: Hot Oil