Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard are pushrods?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 04:46 PM
tjcaron
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default How hard are pushrods?

For my winter project, I'm getting all of the chrome powder coated on my 2012 SG. I've got it mostly all torn down including the rocker boxes. My question basically is how hard is it to remove and (mainly) reinstall the pushrods? I can leave them alone but if I do, that would be the only chrome left on the bike.

I do have a service manual and I've watched some videos but most were reinstalling aftermarket adjustable rods so that didn't help me much.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,148 Likes on 3,669 Posts

Hell you will have the rocker boxes off... take the rockers off and pull the rods out then pop the covers off andVoila...Taking the damn rocker boxes was the PITA part for me anyway, that is why i installed adjustable...

Old 11-22-2013, 05:00 PM
tjcaron
Road Captain

Yeah, they were a PITA...and I'm glad they are off. Just wanna make sure I'm not missing that one simple step that will screw me later.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Hell you will have the rocker boxes off... take the rockers off and pull the rods out then pop the covers off andVoila...Taking the damn rocker boxes was the PITA part for me anyway, that is why i installed adjustable...
Yeah if your rocker boxes are off then rods and tubes will take about 10 more seconds.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:27 PM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 596 Likes on 314 Posts

Fuel Moto videos show it all....

Old 11-22-2013, 06:28 PM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 596 Likes on 314 Posts
Default http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbY_i1HB5ACz01cnolq6NNSm_bt3enkxn

Fuel Moto videos show it all....

I don't know why the link looks funny, click on the playlist below or copy paste:

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbY_i1HB5ACz01cnolq6NNSm_bt3enkxn

Old 11-22-2013, 07:23 PM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tjcaron
For my winter project, I'm getting all of the chrome powder coated on my 2012 SG. I've got it mostly all torn down including the rocker boxes. My question basically is how hard is it to remove and (mainly) reinstall the pushrods? I can leave them alone but if I do, that would be the only chrome left on the bike.

I do have a service manual and I've watched some videos but most were reinstalling aftermarket adjustable rods so that didn't help me much.
Not understanding. I'm guessing you are powder coating the pushrod tubes. Right? If so you just need to put the piston for that cylinder at tdc and remove the rocker assy. Then lift out the pushrods. After that the tubes can be collapsed and removed. Reverse the process to install. Make sure the pushrods spin freely before doing second cylinder. Could take a half hour to bleed lifters down. Set second cylinder the same way and you're done. The rear rocker bolts are a pita. Torque extenders are the key to those bolts. Proto makes them... Not that expensive.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Old 11-22-2013, 10:58 PM
tjcaron
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 12hdrk
Not understanding. I'm guessing you are powder coating the pushrod tubes. Right? If so you just need to put the piston for that cylinder at tdc and remove the rocker assy. Then lift out the pushrods. After that the tubes can be collapsed and removed. Reverse the process to install. Make sure the pushrods spin freely before doing second cylinder. Could take a half hour to bleed lifters down. Set second cylinder the same way and you're done. The rear rocker bolts are a pita. Torque extenders are the key to those bolts. Proto makes them... Not that expensive.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Yep, the tubes. Got em off without issue. I'll probably be back when it comes to reassembling everything I took off the top end...although at this point it seems like its not that difficult.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:05 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,148 Likes on 3,669 Posts

I have never taken off the topp end but it doesn't look that bad...Just take pictures of the harder stuff before you take it apart, mark locations of rods and rockers and tubes...bag and tag...take your time and do it once n right...That is what i did when i did my cams...Sounds more intimidating than it actually is...Kind of like Dentistry...

Old 11-23-2013, 06:14 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Did you mark which pushrod came from which valve as you removed them? they are different lengths.

Quick Reply: How hard are pushrods?