Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Speakers...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 03:39 PM
Hotrodz_n_Harleyz
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Helmet Speakers...

Hey Folks, I've not, to this point in my life anyway, been a helmet kinda guy. And I likely still won't be all the time now either. I do have teenage daughters though, and they would like me to start wearing one, and they pitched in together and got me a nice bell helmet, so I told them that I would wear it at least when we go on family trips on the bikes... (wife rides to, daughter on the back of each bike).

Anyway, the helmet they got me has little pouches in it that zip, it took me a bit to realize, they're for speakers I guess. I think this is part of wearing a helmet I may actually like, as I do wear earbuds when I ride a lot, and they tend to get a bit uncomfortable after a few hours. So my question is, having never dealt with anything like this, do you guys have any recommendations on a good set of speakers that would go comfortably inside a helmet? I did a quick google search and it seems most of what I find there is intercom systems, which I don't want. Just a good pair of speakers that'll connect to my iphone and go in my helmet.

Thanks.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:06 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I couldn't find any either. So what I did was bought a quality pair of headphones That are designed to go over your head and removed the speakers from the headset part and installed them into my helmet. The ones I ended up using were made by Sony and came from Target.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:09 PM
jbkrab
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Google "Helmet Speakers" and plenty of choices available. Try http://www.torkworld.com/ , I use them and like them. Get a converter from 3.5mm connector to Harley 7 pin DIN (if needed) and you are all set!

Old 11-20-2013, 05:49 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Generally, the speakers provided by the helmet manufacturer fit the best. Those that tie with the intercom or bluetooth will also work nicely with your iphone. You don't need the boom mike if you don't want to use it.

Caviat, try the helmet on with a set of speakers before you buy them. Many times they will cause the liner to touch your ears, which can become very irritating quite quickly.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:39 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
I couldn't find any either. So what I did was bought a quality pair of headphones That are designed to go over your head and removed the speakers from the headset part and installed them into my helmet. The ones I ended up using were made by Sony and came from Target.
I did the same exact thing you mentioned but purchased mine at Walmart. I used velcro on the back side of the speakers and tucked the wires under the helmet liner. I used this setup for about 3 years and it worked great.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:15 PM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Never tried it but one of the guys at J&M told me you can use the speakers from a laptop to replace theirs. If you have an old one around couldn't hurt to try.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:44 PM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had good success with both J and M http://www.jmcorp.com/index.htm and with Autocom http://autocomdirect.com/ for good sounding helmet speakers.