Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I crazy? Anyone else choose a 2014 FLHR over a SG?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 04:58 AM
slimjim1976
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I crazy? Anyone else choose a 2014 FLHR over a SG?

Just traded my 2013 FXDB for a 2014 SG sight unseen..... or at least I thought I had. I wasn't sure how I would like being permanently behind a fairing, so today I test rode an Ultra (no demo SG available) to evaluate what these new 2014 fairings were like.

I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. I still experienced some helmet buffeting even with the 10" Ultra shield, adjustable lower fairing wings and lowers. The dealer reckons I can eliminate the buffeting completely on the SG with special shields of the correct height and recurve, but am I willing to take the risk that it may not??

I don't know what would annoy me more on a 5 hr ride - constant mild helmet shaking over 70mph or the full (but even) wind blast you have with no screen or fairing. It was also mighty hot behind that fairing and lowers and for the 30 min test ride it's hard to tell if having a fairing is something I will love or hate.

I am thinking I might have made a mistake choosing the SG..... Price aside, has anyone else chosen a Road King over a SG?

***** UPDATE - decided to go with the King.

Test rode both again today and I like the wind too much to be stuck behind a fairing. I don't care for music when riding so it was a no-brainer for me now.

Thanks for all your replies, they were very helpful!

Last edited by slimjim1976; 11-20-2013 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Update
Old 11-20-2013, 05:11 AM
WILDWOOD_1124
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where you from? What's your height? I don't have any buffeting on my Ultra with my 10" shield. LRS shields are very popular on here for that reason and on both the bikes your talking about. If you like the looks of the SG better I wouldn't pass on it over something that can be cured for less than a $100

Old 11-20-2013, 05:23 AM
BILLL1121
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a 2014 Limited with a 7" wind screen and only get buffeting near 100mph.. Was the vent open?

Old 11-20-2013, 05:24 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by slimjim1976
Just traded my 2013 FXDB for a 2014 SG sight unseen..... or at least I thought I had. I wasn't sure how I would like being permanently behind a fairing, so today I test rode an Ultra (no demo SG available) to evaluate what these new 2014 fairings were like.

I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. I still experienced some helmet buffeting even with the 10" Ultra shield, adjustable lower fairing wings and lowers. The dealer reckons I can eliminate the buffeting completely on the SG with special shields of the correct height and recurve, but am I willing to take the risk that it may not??

I don't know what would annoy me more on a 5 hr ride - constant mild helmet shaking over 70mph or the full (but even) wind blast you have with no screen or fairing. It was also mighty hot behind that fairing and lowers and for the 30 min test ride it's hard to tell if having a fairing is something I will love or hate.

I am thinking I might have made a mistake choosing the SG..... Price aside, has anyone else chosen a Road King over a SG?
When you ride a motorcycle you will experience wind.
Get in your cage and roll up the windows.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:29 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,829 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by 2009
Buffeting is not the same as "wind".

OP, you just need to dial it in.
Definitely will need to when you get your bike and ride the first time with that tiny SG windshield. lol

lp

Old 11-20-2013, 05:36 AM
slimjim1976
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 2009
Wow... there's always one idiot in every thread.

If you actually bothered to read my post you would see that I have no problem with the wind - I've been riding softails and dynas for 16 years with no shield/fairing - its the helmet buffeting you get with the fairing that bothers me.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:38 AM
slimjim1976
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BILLL1121
I have a 2014 Limited with a 7" wind screen and only get buffeting near 100mph.. Was the vent open?
Yes the vent was open.

It sees that some people get the buffeting and some don't with the same bikes/set ups. All I know was that the Limited I rode had the right height shield (I was just looking over it) and I got the dreaded helmet/glasses shake at anything over 70.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:45 AM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by slimjim1976
Price aside, has anyone else chosen a Road King over a SG?
Yes, I did not buy my Road King because it was cheaper than a Ultra, or SG, I bought it because that is what I prefer.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:12 AM
madmustang4
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I just dont know how any motorcycle manufacturer can claim to eliminate head buffeting. Its just kind of impossible. Depending on your height, direction of the wind, speed of the wind, at certain times and certain conditions, buffeting is just gonna be there. I think the new fairing is a great improvement and it does provide a more stable ride.

Remember the the guy who complained that rain was coming thru the fairing opening. Well yeah, its raining out and you're on a motorcycle.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:17 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I came from an FXDB like you, no intention of ever going back.The buffeting can be dealt with but some have more problems with it than others.I use a recurve windshield and the buffeting is almost completely gone but when temps drop down into the thirties for my morning commute I could care less.The Road Kings are nice bikes but have their own issues with buffeting.If you have the windshield height right and you still have buffeting a recurve windshield will probably fix it.Then there's fork mounted wind deflectors,an air baffle,and lowers.Even different styles of helmets make a difference.Your typical half helmet is shaped like a parachute and is not going to help you.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy? Anyone else choose a 2014 FLHR over a SG?