Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I crazy? Anyone else choose a 2014 FLHR over a SG?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 06:13 PM
Duende01
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Closely following this thread as I was in the same boat. What made me decide to go with the RK was its versatility of being able to ride with or without the wind protection with ease. Besides, with today technology, for the most part, everyone has a radio in their pockets. If you carry a phone or even an iPod, you have not only a radio but also a navigation system. And with Bluetooth, is wireless.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:14 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
I've had both...The SG was a great bike but I couldn't get past not being able to remove the fairing when I wanted to. I like to ride with no shield on short rides and that is not an option on a Streetglide...
Same here. I have put a some good miles on SG but I'm always happy to get back on the King. The fairing dose a better job in the wind but a windshield is ok. On short day rides or about town I love to drive with the shield off. When the day comes and I cant take the wind any more, I will get a fairing then.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:23 PM
CJ Sedona
Tourer

I had terrible buffeting with stock shield
With my7 inch and 10 inch LRS windshields I do t have buffeting. It's now a enjoyable ride like I expected to start with .

Old 11-20-2013, 06:24 PM
bellgnte
Road Master

Originally Posted by slimjim1976
Yes, I was thinking about this. On my test ride on the Ltd, it wasn't even a hot day and in stop and go traffic it got really hot behind that fairing. Made me really wonder if I could live with a fairing permanently in front of me.
A road king with shield and fork deflectors will give you better results than the fairing. I thought the buffeting was better with just a shield instead of fairing. I didn't want the radio either so I got the bike that suited me better. It looks great with apes also

Edit: sorry, I meant to quote your comment about shield+deflectors compared to fairing

Last edited by bellgnte; 11-20-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:39 PM
garbear
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude,
I think yer thread got hijacked with the whole windshield, vent open closed, how tall are you thing.
LOL, All kidding aside, like some of the others a King is the sh*t for me. Love the wind, but in Wi I ride w/o a lid. I never really put the screen on it, but that is my deal. Everyone has an opinion. I had a 08 SG, and tested a 11 SG 103" when I passed for my second RKC. That 's what you were really asking for in this thread right? HaHa

Old 11-20-2013, 06:47 PM
harrell42
Advanced

roller I have a 11 ultra limited that I took the rear tour pack and the front lowers and changed the mirrows now I have a 11 street glide limited that I love it is a much better
handling bike. I added a national cycle v stream ws 11inch also put fork farings on and I have no buffeting and have almost no wind in my chest area and head when I had the stock engine guard farings it was like a wind tunnel on my chest area.could not believe how much the fork farings helped with this area of wind the fork farings cost about $69 dollars the are chrome and are easy to install.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:56 PM
Ben E
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been surprised how often I now ride my RK with no shield...especially after getting a backrest. Somehow feels pure. Figure I'll get a fairing some day if I want. I use the windshield now and then. Just bought a 14 inch wind deflector in the dark smoke. Looks great and little buffeting. I'm 5'8". SGs are cool too. Good luck and let us know about the RK test ride.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:08 PM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Wow, this thread took a side road to buffeting.

Anyway, I chose the King, because, well, it's the King. Lol. I thought long and hard about the SG or the RK. I love the smooth front fender of the SG, and the radio would be nice on longer trips (can't stand the radio in town, I wanna listen to the pipes). But ultimately the I love the King more because its different, it's retro, and it can be stripped down - I love the nacelle headlight!!

Old 11-20-2013, 09:24 PM
slimjim1976
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE - decided on the King.

Test rode both again today and I like the wind too much to be stuck behind a fairing. I live in a pretty hot climate, so I think this was a good choice for me.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:41 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by slimjim1976
UPDATE - decided on the King.

Test rode both again today and I like the wind too much to be stuck behind a fairing. I live in a pretty hot climate, so I think this was a good choice for me.

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Cool, don't forget some pics and keep us up-dated.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy? Anyone else choose a 2014 FLHR over a SG?