Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I crazy? Anyone else choose a 2014 FLHR over a SG?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 07:53 AM
slimjim1976
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies guys, seems most folks are advising me that I should stick with the SG and get the various add-ons that help solve the buffeting issue rather than giving up and getting the RK and riding in the wind with no shield like I have always done.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:55 AM
slimjim1976
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tailsfrommycrib
I had an 11 limited with stock windshield and lowers and never got any buffeting.....

.... If all else fails get a softail!
LOL I might just freakin do that! This whole fairing thing is stressing me out. I have to make up my mind in the next few days as I have already traded my bike and put a deposit on a SG.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:20 AM
Hardcorvette
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The right shield should eliminate most, if not all of the buffeting.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:26 AM
slimjim1976
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hardcorvette
The right shield should eliminate most, if not all of the buffeting.
Hi, I see you ride a RK. Is your comment relating to a RK or the SG?

Old 11-20-2013, 08:55 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by slimjim1976
Thanks, what were the things you preferred about the King?
I traded off my 2013 FLD for the 14' King, I prefer the basic touring cycle, that comes without the faring,gauges,radio and everything else that comes on the other three touring bikes. I think the King is more versatile and fits my style best.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:15 AM
motorman4566
Advanced

I traded my 2009 Road King on a 14 SGS and never looked back you probably can live with the RD King. I had a dyna prior to roadie and will say that I upgraded to the 7" wind splitter on SG and love every bit of the bike. I'm 508 with average midsection height. All and all take the roadie out and if you like it and can live w/o music buy it save the money. It was my opinion that you get too much air on Rd King.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:17 AM
WILDWOOD_1124
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a touring bike that you can ride without a windshield or a fairing, then the King is the bike for you!

Old 11-20-2013, 09:52 AM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by slimjim1976
Thanks, what were the things you preferred about the King?
The first and foremost reason. I would be completely bummed not to have the ability to remove the fairing on nice days. When the weather is decent I rarely have the windshield on my Road King. The only reason you will see me with the shield on during nice weather is if I have a long highway ride ahead (over 300 miles). Up to 300 mile day rides during nice weather are much more enjoyable for me without the shield. The batwing inhibits part of the riding pleasure for me. I prefer the feel of being out in the open when I ride. Having a big dash in front of me takes some of that "openness" away.

2nd is I do not like the fairing blocking part of my vision. When coming to a stop on roads with gravel, off camber, or potholes the batwing would limit my vision downward and sometimes create a big surprise when putting your foot down.

3rd, I have never been a fan of the batwing style. I think Harleys look more "right" with a windshield, or preferably without.

Although these thoughts are rare, I have been out in cold rainy weather with a long way to go thinking those lower fairings and big batwing might be nice, but that feeling never lasts long enough for me to give up on the RK!

I had a 99 Ultra which I sold to buy a 2002 RK. And now have a 2011 RK.

Last edited by dswansbiker; 11-20-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:36 AM
1goindiesel
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If you need the stereo and REALLY prefer the looks then go SG, otherwise the RK is a great platform and you can go "in the wind" anytime you want with a quick windshield removal.

The fork shields and triple tree anti buffet pieces really do work quite well-along with a taller shield and optimal helmet.. You will find that while riding if you take your left hand off the bar and feel where the wind is coming from there is a LOT of air coming from the UNDERSIDE of the fairing/ RK windshield, racing to fill the vacuum where your sitting. It will still happen but these lower add-ons will move it back more and hopefully behind you.

PS the batwing will protect your hands in cold weather better than the RK shield as well.

I have ridden around the country on both and personally, I like the basic goodness of the RK most of the time but the Glide is nice on the boring interstate stretches where you want a stereo. ( I would sometimes wear earbuds on the King, that works as well and you do not have to crank it over the wind/bike noise).

I'm sorry, what was the question

Hope this helps some..

Old 11-20-2013, 04:40 PM
bobg03
Road Master
Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Most of my reasons were posted by others in this thread, I went for the King and am glad I did.

Everywhere I go, I see SG's. My King is different.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy? Anyone else choose a 2014 FLHR over a SG?