Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals and o2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 08:25 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts
Default True Duals and o2 sensors

I ordered a set of MGS true duals to replace my Fuel Moto headers tonight. I like the look of a left side exit true dual and have heard great stuff about MGS. While talking to Chris from MGS, he mentioned that even though his headers came with both sets of bungs, I should buy an adapter kit and use the 18mm location instead of the stock 12mm location. I have never head of this before. He didn't offer to sell the adaptor kit so I know this is not a case of trying to up-sell me. He said they just function better in the higher location. I have heard that the adaptors interfere with the 02 sensors but he said they work fine and the sensors get a more accurate reading. Any input from those in the know? Please don't take a guess if you have never done this. Thanks!

Old 11-18-2013, 08:35 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

I was gonna PM you tonight and let you know what I found since you mentioned you were looking for a dual sensor header too. Looks like you made a good choice. I have read a lot of good things about MGS. I'm just after a different look. I will be watching this thread to see if there is any benefits to changing the O2 sensor location.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
I was gonna PM you tonight and let you know what I found since you mentioned you were looking for a dual sensor header too. Looks like you made a good choice. I have read a lot of good things about MGS. I'm just after a different look. I will be watching this thread to see if there is any benefits to changing the O2 sensor location.
Thanks! I may be up towards Hattiesburg this weekend if you want to check them out. Not sure they will be in yet but I am hoping...

Old 11-18-2013, 08:44 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by themouth!!!

Thanks! I may be up towards Hattiesburg this weekend if you want to check them out. Not sure they will be in yet but I am hoping...
If you ordered today they should make it by Friday. PM me if your gonna be up that way and if the weather is good ill ride down. Bout and hour and a half ride for me.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:10 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Bump to the top

Old 11-19-2013, 12:10 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Moving O2 sensors out of exhaust stream with an adapter will infact make ECM adjust
fuel mixture to a little richer then before the adpater was installed. That is because the
O2 sensor is out of the hot exhaust making the ECM think engine is not fully warmed up,
like when you first start up in the mornings it runs richer for a short while. pulling
the O2 sensors back out of hot gases with an adapter makes the O2 sensor tip just a
little cooler.

Last edited by OldPhat; 11-19-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

I can't comment on your particular question specifically, but I'm running the MGS TDs on my 2010 Glide. I've got the sensors in their intended locations, and with a custom tune by a local reputable tuner, I am making good numbers. My engine is a 110" motor with a Heavy Breather and the SERT. If I recall, I'm at about 98HP and 112ft/lbs torque, and that's uncorrected at 6500' elevation. The tune you get on put on the bike is going to matter much more than O2 sensor location. Don't let your local HD dealership tune it. You really need a tuning shop to do the work.

For example, I had a custom tune done by my local dealer a few years back. When I changed to the MGS TDs, I had it done at a custom dyno shop. I picked up about 50 miles on a tank of gas, my engine runs cooler, and I can pull away hard from the guys I ride with who've had engine work done. My 110" is mostly stock in form, but it runs like it should now.

In my personal opinion, the end result of purchasing adapters isn't worth the benefits you'll likely not even notice. Just my couple pennies of advice...

Old 11-19-2013, 02:00 PM
DynaJ
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This is the second post today that I noticed with the MGS duals and o2 sensor location..I have them on my bike and I had to fish my left o2 sensor thru the fuse box and all that jazz to get it to reach the hole, NOW I'm hearing that it "works" better in the location closest to the head? Im waiting on MGS response on this one..

Old 11-19-2013, 02:48 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by DynaJ
This is the second post today that I noticed with the MGS duals and o2 sensor location..I have them on my bike and I had to fish my left o2 sensor thru the fuse box and all that jazz to get it to reach the hole, NOW I'm hearing that it "works" better in the location closest to the head? Im waiting on MGS response on this one..
The OP said that MGS suggested to do it this way.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:57 PM
DynaJ
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I really didn't want to throw anyone under the bus but...I live in Lancaster right down the street from MGS not only did I buy my true duals from them I had them Dyno my bike. My question is if they work better in that location why the hell did they dyno my bike with the o2 sensors in that location? I know what the OP said but I was waiting to see what MGS said... I could have gone right down there and asked them but In this case I think it needs to be addressed on this forum.

Quick Reply: True Duals and o2 sensors