Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any issues with mixing tire brands?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013 | 10:53 PM
All Aces
|
Road Master
Default Any issues with mixing tire brands?

I am interested in putting a Michelin Commander on the back of my10 EGC. The dealer tells me I will have performance issues especially in the rain since I have a Dunlap on the front. They said with different tread patterns the handling would suck. I have a 19" 3,5 on the front with 1K miles and a 180 on the back. Does it really matter? If you have mixed brands let me know what you think.

Old 11-17-2013 | 11:05 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member

I've never had issues mixing brands before.

Old 11-17-2013 | 11:08 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member

Tire experts do recommend that front and rear motorcycle tires be matched. I've seen the same said for performance cars as well. If you just cruise around town here and there on nice days it might not make any difference. But for touring on all sorts of roads and sometimes in bad weather, maybe listen to the experts.

Old 11-17-2013 | 11:20 PM
All Aces
|
Road Master

I guess I don't understand what matches since there is so much difference in the width of the tire from front to back.

Old 11-17-2013 | 11:33 PM
Hopper
Road Warrior

Tire salesman and safetycrat BS.
I've run mixed tires forever and never a problem.
Get the rear you want, then IF you experience handling problems buy a matching front.

How could the tread pattern on the front possibly affect the performance of the rear tire in the rain???

Old 11-18-2013 | 12:07 AM
jackhis
Road Warrior

Except the first OEM tires are the same, all my tires are always mismatched. I rode in all conditions across the country every year in almost 20 years without any problem. Most of my trips are around 10k miles. Tire matching may be applied for car, but not for motorcycle, but that's just my personal opinion.

Old 11-18-2013 | 12:18 AM
472viper
Road Warrior

I'm thinking the difference of tread patterns is not going to make any difference, not going to effect handling.

The way it was explained to me was that different tires (regardless of brand) may heat up at different rates due to the composition of the rubber compound. You could end up with one tire that heats up and becomes stickier than the other, and that could effect handling.

Now apply that thinking to your riding habits. If you regularly do hot laps at Laguna seca, I'm thinking your definitely gonna want matched tires.

If your an old putster like me, probably not near as important.

The only tire issue I ever had was with a Metzeler ME 880, leaned over in a curve, if I got too hard on the throttle coming out, the back end of the bike would want to swap spots with the front end. Back out of the throttle in time and all would be good.

Old 11-18-2013 | 04:13 AM
knight2491
Intermediate

The only mix I had preached to me was mixing Bias and radials together was bad, as far as brands go I have been mixed from the first tire change and my bike handles great.

Old 11-18-2013 | 05:14 AM
Advanced

Get a different dealer.
Take a look at the American Elite tire.

Old 11-18-2013 | 06:24 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member

i ran the same set up your asking about for 5K and had no problems and i rode in some serious storms. the comm. will make your bike handle so much better and when you add the front it will get even better. cqant wait till i wear my tires out so i can change them on the new bike

Quick Reply: Any issues with mixing tire brands?