Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 point or 2 point docking hardware?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 07:32 AM
CrazyHog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 point or 2 point docking hardware?

Hi,

I placed a bunch of orders for my soon to be RGC. One was the 4 point docking hardware for the quick detachable backrest. I'm starting to second guess myself. Maybe I should have ordered the two point. I have no plans on ever adding a tour pack. I ride mostly one up, but do take my wife out on occasion. Don't know how often, if ever, I would use a luggage rack and a passenger. Have any of you just gone with the two point and stuck with it? I also prefer the cleaner look of the 2 point.

Thanks

Old 11-17-2013, 07:36 AM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyHog
Hi,

I placed a bunch of orders for my soon to be RGC. One was the 4 point docking hardware for the quick detachable backrest. I'm starting to second guess myself. Maybe I should have ordered the two point. I have no plans on ever adding a tour pack. I ride mostly one up, but do take my wife out on occasion. Don't know how often, if ever, I would use a luggage rack and a passenger. Have any of you just gone with the two pint and stuck with it?

Thanks
The four point gives you the flexibility. I can't see any negatives but I do ride two up 15-20% of the time and occasionally carry a bag. (No wife joke implied-ha!)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Old 11-17-2013, 07:39 AM
CrazyHog
Cruiser

Thanks, does anyone have any closeup pics of the two with the backrest on?

Old 11-17-2013, 07:40 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 285 Posts

You'll be glad you ordered the 4-point.

You will need that if you want to run a detachable luggage rack.

2-Point = Detachable backrest only
4-Point = Detachable backrest + detachable luggage rack

4-Point is also needed if you ever decide to get a tour pack.

If you bought the 2-Point now and later decided you wanted to add the detachable luggage rack, you would have to remove the 2-Point and add the 4-Point.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:46 AM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

I have had the 2 point for a couple of years and am glad I didn't go with the 4 point. For me the 2 point is all I need and I don't use it much.

I don't like the look of the 4 pt. but wouldn't hesitate installing it if I felt the need.

Name:  040_zpsf816b967.jpg
Views: 1608
Size:  82.2 KB

Old 11-17-2013, 08:26 AM
motolocopat
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went through the same dilemma and in the end went with the 4 point so I could mount the luggage rack. I then got the largest luggage rack they had so I can get a decent sized piece of luggage on it without fear of it drooping down onto the saddlebags. Installed the smallest backrest and it looks good overall... the big luggage rack can spend most of it's life on a garage shelf but I have it when needed... i.e. the OL decides she will tag along to keep and eye on me or whatever

Old 11-17-2013, 08:34 AM
artpe54
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Get the 4 point, you have much more flexibility with it. That's what I installed on mine.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:39 AM
COZWV
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd recommend 4-point and you can but those covers for the connection points. My wife goes with me occasionally and I have the quick detach luggage rack which will only be on the bike if we are going somewhere and need a bag to carry stuff in.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:41 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,573 Likes on 1,497 Posts

If you are 100% sure you'll never want a tp or 2up luggage rack then the 2 point will be fine. I think the 2 point looks better,but if there is any doubt about what I asked you,get the 4.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:13 AM
CrazyHog
Cruiser

Thanks, so if I ever want to use the detachable backrest and detachable luggage rack, I will need the 4 point? 10-4?

Quick Reply: 4 point or 2 point docking hardware?