Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Road King Stereo, Lower Fairings, Batwing, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 11:43 PM
Magic Mike
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Amazing job - well done, you got me inspired.

I have a road king classic with windshield and leather tour pak. I love the flexibility of the RK to be set up for touring like that or depending on my mood, I love the clean look without windshield and low wide beach bars, solo seat and without tour pak - just a totally different bike.

somehow I became tired of my leather saddlebags - uncomfy for loading and I always wish to have a third hand. So I bought 4" extended saddlebags and a fender extension end of last year. To match the look and also have a little more space on tour, I planed to buy a matching tour pak. IMHO dos the tour pak simply better and kind of complete with the speaker pods. So I was looking around and thought, why not adding some music to the bike on tour and purchased yesterday a tour pak of an 2012 ultra with speaker pods just without speakers - still got to choose, which one to install and how to feed them...

It all started with the wish, to get a tour pak. Then I found on ebay a batwing fairing with a place for the iPad mini and either 2x 6x9 or 4x 5" speaker holes. that seemed perfect for me, coz I usually use my iphone as gps - could still do so without fairing, but within the fairing I could also hide an amp. I was considering anything with bluetooth for the tour pak, also the kicker you mentioned in the begin. I like the idea of the remote of the kicker, but the amp was anyhow not able to convince me. So I bought a fosgate pbr300x4 this morning and was considering to ad bluetooth to put it in the tour pak first and may be later into the fairing.

Funny thing is, I did that all before I read your thread with enthusiasm and just registered here this afternoon to read a bit to choose the right speakers. In fact I had fosgate in mind too here already. TMS5 are waterproof and would fit right into my pods, but with $300 a bit pricey.

I am not really sure now. Should I say thank you for your inspiration or wish you to hell for the additional money I will have to spend? In fact, your setup is great and the wheels in my mind don't stop spinning now

In fact I was considering lowers with speaker earlyer already as well as handlebar mounted speakers. Finally decided, that handlebar speakers are a no go for the clean look on my beach bars - I would destroy that look. Those kind of speakers at the crash bar might be not so disturbing the look, but may be too weak for that far away from me. I was thinking about lowers a while, but finally said to myself: No, too bulky. When I see your bike now, I need to admit, they are not, and now definitely not off the table anymore.

Even the saddlebag lid speakers - I like the idea, but when I purchased the extended saddlebags, I decided against speaker lids. A tour pak rail gives me additional options, to load some stuff on tour and I like the design of the air wing tour pak rail. So I got one already and matching airwing saddlebag rails and organizer for tour pak and saddlebag lids...

Thanks to your thread, I know now, where I gonna install my amp. But I know too now, what else I might wanna install on my bike..