Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Road King Stereo, Lower Fairings, Batwing, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 09:59 AM
jjgrappler
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jayhawk I have a couple questions for you regarding your audio setup. I was looking st the speaker lids and buying lower fairings to place speakers in. What are your recommendations for the amp? I would like to keep it out of the saddlebags preferably under the seat. I've never done anything audio wise but just installed handlebars on my road king so I think I can do this. Where did you get your paint at? I have the same color bike as you.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:30 PM
tonetls
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice job mate.............

Old 06-06-2014, 04:10 PM
jayhawkclint
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Found a '14 SG seat on Craigslist, removed at time of purchased to replace with a Sundowner. Bought seat and took to David Lee Uphulstery in OKC. He did a fantastic job on the croc insert, very reasonably priced, highly recommend if you live in the area.

Once I had the 2nd seat, took my stock RK seat in to David for some gel and pillow top padding in the passenger area, and he moved me back about 1/2". Wife approves, also says highly recommends.

Name:  E310033F-DCBC-40AE-ADF3-60DFD27C0D4F.jpg
Views: 1404
Size:  125.7 KB

Old 06-06-2014, 04:25 PM
jayhawkclint
Tourer

Originally Posted by jjgrappler
Jayhawk I have a couple questions for you regarding your audio setup. I was looking st the speaker lids and buying lower fairings to place speakers in. What are your recommendations for the amp? I would like to keep it out of the saddlebags preferably under the seat. I've never done anything audio wise but just installed handlebars on my road king so I think I can do this. Where did you get your paint at? I have the same color bike as you.
After riding around with these Hogtunes lids and seeing/hearing a lot of other bikes now, I would do the exact same setup over again. I have been behind guys that tell me they could hear my radio over top of theirs.

Only comment I can make on the amps is that I have both the PBR300x2 and PBR300x4, and I think overall the 300x2 is a slightly more robust amp and gives you the flexibility of running 2ohm or 4ohm speakers. For the money, you can't go wrong with either if you run 4ohm speakers like I did.

Either amp will fit above the batt if you relocate the ECM to the side cover. Look back at my pics for how to do this. That will get your lids and lowers powered. If you have a non-ABS bike, a 2nd amp will fit in the right side cover.

Only other thing I wish I would've done different is to paint the grilles to match. I thought the black might be a nice accent, the '13 CVO were done this way, but I think color matched would've been nicer. Unfortunately, you can only buy the paint at MoCo. Shop around, the prices varied a great deal locally. You can find the paint codes here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/11955564-post2.html

Last edited by jayhawkclint; 06-06-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:28 PM
jjgrappler
2nd Gear

I am a non-abs bike so what your saying is I could place my amp being my right side cover? Is it hard to wire the speakers? Did you wire the amp directly to the battery?

Old 06-08-2014, 10:04 PM
jjgrappler
2nd Gear

Also did you end up wiring your stereo to the auxiliary switch?

Old 06-09-2014, 02:27 PM
jayhawkclint
Tourer

Yes, to above - One 300x4 amp rides above the batt on a DIY batt tray, factory ECM is relocated down to the right side cover, 300x2 amp rides outboard of the ECM also in the right side cover. Both amps have heavy guage wire going straight to the pos batt post with a 20 amp fuse inline. Heavy guage wire for neg runs to a chassis bolt that was under the seat area. Switched 12vdc runs to the aux switch via one of those MoCo aux wiring harnesses. For the audio connection, I'm currently just using a 3.5mm to RCA cable straight into my iphone and the sound quality is very good.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:58 AM
jjgrappler
2nd Gear

Would the 300x2 power all 4 speakers? In your opinion

Old 06-10-2014, 01:29 AM
jayhawkclint
Tourer

Originally Posted by jjgrappler
Would the 300x2 power all 4 speakers? In your opinion
Yes, not problem at all, so long as you use 4 ohm speakers. Only thing you will lose is the ability to use the independent gain controls as a fader, or in case your front speakers didn't have as much power handling as your rear, but it really isn't a big deal. The 300x2 seems to be a slightly better performing amp between the two.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:15 AM
jjgrappler
2nd Gear

Any speakers you reccommennd? I am using 6x9 in the saddlebags and 6.5 in the lowers

Quick Reply: 2013 Road King Stereo, Lower Fairings, Batwing, etc.