Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 11:49 AM
IAmConverted
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for front suspension

I'm not sure if this has been addressed or not. I'm not satisfied with the front suspension on my 2012 FLHTK. What I'm looking for is a much better response of the forks to soak up the small bumps like joints in a concrete highway or manhole covers. For me the front end is stiff, and rather than absorb the bumps, I am getting a lot of the bump transmitted into the handlebars. Has anyone changed their front forks to address this problem?

Old 11-16-2013, 01:28 PM
the warden
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Progressive mono shocks up front and JRIs on the rear. The difference is beyond comparison, not the same bike.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:00 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

I am using the Harley Premium Ride Double Cartridge Fork Kit and it is a big improvement. I had the stock front end with Progressive spring installed before this. I haven't tried the Mono shocks so I can't compare, but there have been numerous threads on this in the past that you can research. Some have said the dual cartridge is comparable to the Traxxion which I guess is suppose to be top of the line. I am using JRI's in the rear, I think I still have some adjusting to do there.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:40 PM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great timing.
I put the new MoCo rears (Premium spring over) on my 12 FLHTC and love em, they are miles ahead of the pneumatics that are factory. Now that makes the front end completely a piece of ****, for it feels like everything is transmitted up there. I have heard good things of the premiums from the MoCo for the fronts and here is another vote for them.
Good timing for winter is coming and it is time to address.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:17 PM
SunCruise
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

After changing the rear stock air shocks over to HD Premium Ride hand adjustable (very nice) the front felt inferior. I just did the chrome front fork kit so it was the perfect time to put the PR Dual Cartridge in as well. I'm very happy with how the bike handles and feels over bumps and whatnot. No nose dive like the stock set-up either. A great matched set.
SC

Old 11-16-2013, 03:19 PM
littled62
Tourer

I have Progressive 944's on the rear and Progressive Cartridge Kit in the forks and the difference is like driving a Chevy Vega then getting in a Caddy

Old 11-16-2013, 03:30 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

I did this:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...rk-better.html
Way better than previous progressive springs, racetech springs only or either +gold valves. Aslo going from progressive 940s to Ohlins on the rear.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:54 AM
IAmConverted
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
I did this:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...rk-better.html
Way better than previous progressive springs, racetech springs only or either +gold valves. Aslo going from progressive 940s to Ohlins on the rear.
Wow that is a ton of information on that link. Sounds like what I'm looking for. Hopefully he is still doing the mods.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:44 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I'll be dropping mono tubes in some this week. I also have the coil over :"premium" Harley shocks in 13" I just put on. The front now feels terrible.

I'll report back when I get them in. I'm doing stock height, no lowering on the front to match my 13" rears.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:39 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by IAmConverted
Wow that is a ton of information on that link. Sounds like what I'm looking for. Hopefully he is still doing the mods.
I think any of the three is a reasonably priced way to improve the front suspension. The HD Premium rides do require some special tools, so if you are planning to do it yourself that is an added expense, unless you can find someone to loan them to you. If you are having someone do it for you then the expense is comparable. If you are buying the PR's I would go through www.lshd.com as their prices are 20% off. I have never ridden a bike with either of the other front ends, but I do know Jason puts a lot of work into anything he offers. I think the guy suffers from being a perfectionist.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for front suspension