Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xm reception on 2014's

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 11:12 AM
stellarpod
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ijustwant2ride
How are the XM antenna placements over the speaker and on the dash working out?

My 3 week old limited's XM radio with, I assume, stock antenna placement, has abysmal reception performance! I have a 35-45 minute work commute, the radio is out for at least 5-6 minutes during the ride.

I bought it with the bike because FM reception on my 2011 limited was so bad. I equate the XM reception to equal the FM reception in poor performance.

I do have tree lined parts of the ride but not tree covered, you can see sky (up and down multiple time).
I do ride along the north side of large hills/mountains (no reception)
I do ride on open 4 lane, interstate type, of highway. (a couple spots of poor signal).

Overall I am unimpressed with this HD product so far. I have to take it back to the dealership to have the back ordered painted inner fairing installed. Should I have them move the antenna to over the speaker? Or do the move to the dash myself afterward?
When my dealer first installed my XM antennae, they placed it where the instructions told them. When I saw this I was concerned that the signal might be blocked by a bracket or large wiring harness or something (don't remember what it was for certain). Sure enough, I found that, particularly when headed North, the reception was horrible.

I mentioned this to them and they relocated it somewhere else, which dramatically improved reception (I wish I could tell you where they put it, but I didn't get a chance to see it before they buttoned her back up). Recently, however, I've found the reception to be dropping out again, amazingly enough when I'm headed west-southwest. My brother mounted his externally, on the other side of the dash vent, opposite from where the vent open/close pushbutton is. He has no problems with reception beyond the common tree/mountain type of incident. I'm thinking seriously about doing the same.

Steve

Old 06-05-2014, 08:18 PM
Tirpitz
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wife and I moved the XM antenna to the inside, left side of the fairing, there is a white bracket and we velco the antenna to the bracket and it improved the signal.