Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xm reception on 2014's

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 07:39 PM
Miltonhog
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

It is amazing how willing to answer questions and how quickly the members respond. I will see how things shake out and may not put one on this season. I am pleased to hear it does not require a flash to set up.

If it appears the Limited is a keeper I have no issue with putting it in.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:31 AM
Tech Man
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CVO satilight antenna

CVO and other 2014 XM radio reception issues!
OK I have had a CVO Limited for a few months and was tired of the reception problems.
I want to share what I know about the issue and hopefully help anyone that wants it.
Bottom line after I relocated the antenna I have only seen signal strength of less than three when I go thru tunnels....under large overpasses I may lose a signal for a second but the freeway must be at least 6 lanes and no breaks in the bridge.......
Other than that the reception is AWESOME NOW!!!

RIDE ON.. and dont correct spelling !!! I know I suck at writing....just read for content!

FACTS---
1. RECEPTION SUCKS almost all the time while driving in various directions.
I have found more problems while driving in certain directions.

2, The XM antenna is originally mounted behind the fuel gauge, inside the fairing. It has a magnetic base and sets on a metal plate approximately 4 inches down from the top of the fairing.

3. The antenna wire is approximately 12 inches long and is tie wrapped in two places on wiring harness inside fairing. It connects to the radio on the lower right edge with a yellowish colored block push connector. (houses a small coaxial connection)

NOW the easy fix.

Relocate the antenna to outside fairing.
1. Remove headlight, one trim screw and the three headlight retainers screws.

2. remove 4 torx screws holding outer fairing on. These are on inner fairing two in area of hand grips and two lower on the area of the fairing wind deflectors. hold windsheild so it dont fall.....and after screws are off pull windsheild off and set aside.
(Fairing can be pulled away to gain enough acces to the antenna....)

3. reach in and snip the ties holding the antenna cable once from above and the other you can get from the headlight hole.....BE CAREFUL ! dont cut cable....DUH

4. No disconnect connection from antenna to radio by pushing locking tab (located on top of connection) in just a little and pull out connector....)

5. Pull cable and anntenna out of fairing from top. careful that yellow connector doesnt snag...

6. Locate notch in between air vent mounting plastic (black portion) of top of inner fairing and actual inner fairing.
Use a small drill bit the size of the cable and notch this area where the windsheild will mount. Only need to make a channel with enough space so cable will not get smashed...
(see pictures)

7. Route cable down to radio and plug in.

8 Use clear silicone on the black plastic to secure the antenna.

9. install all the rest of the ****....

PS---
Can anyone tell me if there is a way to extend this cable ??? I never saw a coax this tiny and am worried about pulling too much power if I increase the length of cable to route this to the back of the bike....

Attached Thumbnails xm reception on 2014's-img_20140426_200409415.jpg   xm reception on 2014's-img_20140426_200401940.jpg   xm reception on 2014's-img_20140426_200418254.jpg  
Old 04-28-2014, 12:19 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

go big

Attached Thumbnails xm reception on 2014's-img11221367.jpg  
Old 04-28-2014, 01:48 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech Man
CVO and other 2014 XM radio reception issues!
OK I have had a CVO Limited for a few months and was tired of the reception problems.
I want to share what I know about the issue and hopefully help anyone that wants it.
Bottom line after I relocated the antenna I have only seen signal strength of less than three when I go thru tunnels....under large overpasses I may lose a signal for a second but the freeway must be at least 6 lanes and no breaks in the bridge.......
Other than that the reception is AWESOME NOW!!!

RIDE ON.. and dont correct spelling !!! I know I suck at writing....just read for content!

FACTS---
1. RECEPTION SUCKS almost all the time while driving in various directions.
I have found more problems while driving in certain directions.

2, The XM antenna is originally mounted behind the fuel gauge, inside the fairing. It has a magnetic base and sets on a metal plate approximately 4 inches down from the top of the fairing.

3. The antenna wire is approximately 12 inches long and is tie wrapped in two places on wiring harness inside fairing. It connects to the radio on the lower right edge with a yellowish colored block push connector. (houses a small coaxial connection)

NOW the easy fix.

Relocate the antenna to outside fairing.
1. Remove headlight, one trim screw and the three headlight retainers screws.

2. remove 4 torx screws holding outer fairing on. These are on inner fairing two in area of hand grips and two lower on the area of the fairing wind deflectors. hold windsheild so it dont fall.....and after screws are off pull windsheild off and set aside.
(Fairing can be pulled away to gain enough acces to the antenna....)

3. reach in and snip the ties holding the antenna cable once from above and the other you can get from the headlight hole.....BE CAREFUL ! dont cut cable....DUH

4. No disconnect connection from antenna to radio by pushing locking tab (located on top of connection) in just a little and pull out connector....)

5. Pull cable and anntenna out of fairing from top. careful that yellow connector doesnt snag...

6. Locate notch in between air vent mounting plastic (black portion) of top of inner fairing and actual inner fairing.
Use a small drill bit the size of the cable and notch this area where the windsheild will mount. Only need to make a channel with enough space so cable will not get smashed...
(see pictures)

7. Route cable down to radio and plug in.

8 Use clear silicone on the black plastic to secure the antenna.

9. install all the rest of the ****....

PS---
Can anyone tell me if there is a way to extend this cable ??? I never saw a coax this tiny and am worried about pulling too much power if I increase the length of cable to route this to the back of the bike....

Hey!!!! That was my idea!!!! Happy to see someone make it work. When I first purchased my 14 Limited I figured that would be the perfect place for the XM antenna. I would love to see a replacement vent with the center bar replaced by a XM antenna. Just replace the vent and plug in a new cable. Hope someone comes out with a kit to make it easy. Overall I love having XM, it was one of my first upgrades. This bike is a keeper so why not! I just set my favorite XM station and forget about the infotainment system. Congratulations on your ingenuity.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:28 AM
dkl032
6th Gear

Did this with my 06. Had windshield pouches so glued to top of center pouch. Worked great but I didn't like the look. Put windshield pouch on 2014 cvo limited and don't want that look. Saw thread on cvo forum which I will try.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:54 AM
Packagebil
Stage III
Default XM reception

Originally Posted by rmc115
I am wanting the xm kit for my limited and here is a question for only 14 owners that hat the integrated kit. How much drop out do you get? I have the 665 and got a lot of sat. drop out here in midwest. cars are way better than the 665. anyone have had both? if you are in the desert with clear sky forever it does not count. Mike
I added XM to my old 99 FLTR. Had a problem with signal fading. I made a plate to go above the front brake master cylinder, bent it so it was flat. This gave the effect of a ground plane for the signal. Big improvement

Old 06-01-2014, 04:25 PM
bunkertoby
6th Gear

Have both. o9 street glide in fairing terrible. 2012 road king mounted on platform on handlebars was pretty good., but ugly. 2014 limited inside excelent finally

Old 06-01-2014, 07:13 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
each unit has a different size buffer memory-

I know that the buffer in my old xm delphi units is about 6 seconds.
The buffer in our Toyota is markedly shorter.

mike
I don't think the XM module for the 14's has any buffer at all.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:25 PM
Rockgeezer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quite a few folks around here have also relocated the antenna to outside the fairing as well and in each case has taken care of their spotty reception. Seems to be the working fix for now.

Last edited by Rockgeezer; 06-05-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:29 AM
ijustwant2ride
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Now that we are in the riding season....

How are the XM antenna placements over the speaker and on the dash working out?

My 3 week old limited's XM radio with, I assume, stock antenna placement, has abysmal reception performance! I have a 35-45 minute work commute, the radio is out for at least 5-6 minutes during the ride.

I bought it with the bike because FM reception on my 2011 limited was so bad. I equate the XM reception to equal the FM reception in poor performance.

I do have tree lined parts of the ride but not tree covered, you can see sky (up and down multiple time).
I do ride along the north side of large hills/mountains (no reception)
I do ride on open 4 lane, interstate type, of highway. (a couple spots of poor signal).

Overall I am unimpressed with this HD product so far. I have to take it back to the dealership to have the back ordered painted inner fairing installed. Should I have them move the antenna to over the speaker? Or do the move to the dash myself afterward?

Quick Reply: xm reception on 2014's