Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xm reception on 2014's

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 08:24 AM
stellarpod
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Jeff, my dealership has been very respondent to my request on my 2014 Ultra Limited. They know there have been birthing pains for these new models and they know it's in their best interest to get them sorted out. We've kind of learned together on these issues.

I've brought several possible solutions to them on various issues from postings I've seen right here on HDForums.com. They seem to be pleased to have the input. I hope you find your dealership to be as accommodating.

Steve

Old 11-24-2013, 08:34 AM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rmc115
I am wanting the xm kit for my limited and here is a question for only 14 owners that hat the integrated kit. How much drop out do you get? I have the 665 and got a lot of sat. drop out here in midwest. cars are way better than the 665. anyone have had both? if you are in the desert with clear sky forever it does not count. Mike
I live in SO CAL and also have a 665 that works well, My 2014 with the xm kit installed also works well. very little loss of signal...BTW super easy to install the kit.. activation with the XM people is a little frustrating, ok A LOT frustrating! plan on 45 min to an hour, 4 or 5 beers.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:44 AM
dad311
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scottt
Diggman, I have your exact bike; Daytona Blue Limited. Just had XM installed as well. If I do have issues with the antenna, I was wondering about the fairing vent. I really think a small antenna could be installed into the vent without seeing it. Harley should have actually created a inexpensive vent part with the antenna installed, just install and plug-in.
I have the same bike also, I thought XM was standard on the Limited, until I tried to enable it. Im little disappointed XM was not standard, but then I probably wouldnt use it anyway. I use my smartphone and Spotify and Pandora for my music.

Last edited by dad311; 11-24-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:12 PM
Flying too low
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried several different positions today for antenna today. stock position is worst. Ended up with on top of speaker box. I even mounted external on top of dash just under windshield .It worked best there and did not even look to bad. Going to ride some more where I have it and see if good enough. Even external it still drops a little. But had three bars of signal most of the time. This antenna just sucks. should come standard mounted on trunk lid like a car on a 27k bike.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:24 PM
Diggman
Cruiser
Cool

Originally Posted by Jeff Ryndak
I tried several different positions today for antenna today. stock position is worst. Ended up with on top of speaker box. I even mounted external on top of dash just under windshield .It worked best there and did not even look to bad. Going to ride some more where I have it and see if good enough. Even external it still drops a little. But had three bars of signal most of the time. This antenna just sucks. should come standard mounted on trunk lid like a car on a 27k bike.
You may be on to something there. I think I have an antenna from a previous XM install on my truck. If I can find it, and if the connector is the same (I think it is), I'll see about running it to the top of the tour pack and see if it being in the open and being a bit larger helps.

Diggs

Old 11-27-2013, 06:51 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by motorman4566
Cost should be somewhere around 4-450 the xm module is big bucks and they prob charge you 1-1.5 hrs to do install. I had them put it in when I had black front end and internal amfm antenna. Just ask them to get antenna as high as possible. If you can do any work yourself it's prob a plug and play item. I had to teach harley how to activate it...lol
The install is so simple its would be an embarrassment to have it dealer installed

Old 11-27-2013, 06:53 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Diggman
You may be on to something there. I think I have an antenna from a previous XM install on my truck. If I can find it, and if the connector is the same (I think it is), I'll see about running it to the top of the tour pack and see if it being in the open and being a bit larger helps.

Diggs
Real simple it works better in cars because they are bigger and contain more metal. \Something to do with a plane which I dont really understand

Old 11-27-2013, 07:20 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Ryndak
I tried the trunk mount with my previous 665 zumo and it was not as good as front on top of speaker. my body would block the signal when traveling toward sat. Mike

Old 11-27-2013, 09:18 PM
stellarpod
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by UppercaseJC
Real simple it works better in cars because they are bigger and contain more metal. \Something to do with a plane which I dont really understand
Actually, the "plane" to which you're referring is the *ground plane* and it has far more to do with transmitting an outgoing signal (CB radio for instance) than it does with reception.

Steve

Old 11-28-2013, 06:02 PM
Flying too low
Cruiser

Got,to ride some more today. Xm is useless to me on back roads where trees overhang road. It's works fine in all direction on the highways but I do not ride the highways so I am very unhappy with spending 500 on something that does not work.

Quick Reply: xm reception on 2014's