Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xm reception on 2014's

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 06:51 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Diggman
I have XM in my 2014 FLHTK. The reception is mostly good but it cuts out much quicker and for longer than in my Chevy truck. I noticed that most of the time when we were in the mountains of East Tennessee and North Carolina, I was switching to FM because of how often it cut out. Trees and big hills tend to block the signal.

I'm thinking about moving the antenna to the inner fairing next to the mail slot button to see if that helps. Right now it is inside the fairing, on the top of the radio.

Diggs
Diggman, I have your exact bike; Daytona Blue Limited. Just had XM installed as well. If I do have issues with the antenna, I was wondering about the fairing vent. I really think a small antenna could be installed into the vent without seeing it. Harley should have actually created a inexpensive vent part with the antenna installed, just install and plug-in.

Attached Thumbnails xm reception on 2014's-2014-fairing-vent-001.jpg  
Old 11-16-2013, 12:26 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by scottt
I just had the XM Module installed by my dealer. I spoke with the tech, he said that it was much easier to install than the previous model year bikes. A simple plug and play. I also had the garage door opener installed, he charged me two hours for both installs. The garage door opener was a lot more work. Should you ever have that installed; the tech learned the hard way the instructions that come with the garage door opener are not updated for a 2014, my tech had to redo his work once he figured out the instructions were wrong. I like having both features. Have not activated my XM yet, Channel 1 comes through clear. Waiting til spring to activate, no need to pay for service during the winter months, I will just sign up for 6 months in April, let it expire and do the same the following year. Good luck
I did the garage door opener a month ago and the correct instructions were available to the dealer on there online section. I had them print it for me. Mike

Old 11-17-2013, 12:52 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

The tech figured it out the second time. He printed out the instructions for me as well. The MoCo should make that kit a plug and play by including all the wiring in the fairing, Popular options should be pre-wired. Hate to say it, I enjoy the opener.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:52 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

i agree, ridiculous to have take it that far apart for 1 wire for a popular accy. Mike

Old 11-17-2013, 04:50 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by motorman4566
Cost should be somewhere around 4-450 the xm module is big bucks and they prob charge you 1-1.5 hrs to do install. I had them put it in when I had black front end and internal amfm antenna. Just ask them to get antenna as high as possible. If you can do any work yourself it's prob a plug and play item. I had to teach harley how to activate it...lol

It is very easy to install yourself on the 2014s just remove a little plate at the back of the radio and slide in the sat radio. The antenna is half the size they were in the past but it seems it actually works a little better.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:36 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I have the 665 and love the XM. It does drop out occasionally, but still worth the $. I have a 2014 on order that should be here in a few weeks. I want to get the XM for that one too. If it is at least as good as the 665 I will be happy. I hope it is even better.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:32 PM
stellarpod
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
I have the 665 and love the XM. It does drop out occasionally, but still worth the $. I have a 2014 on order that should be here in a few weeks. I want to get the XM for that one too. If it is at least as good as the 665 I will be happy. I hope it is even better.

Once I had the shop techs re-locate the antenna as high as possible in the fairing my XM reception has been good. Previously, when the antenna was located where the instructions told them to locate it, I would virtually loose all reception when headed north.

Now, it works and I'm a happy camper.

Steve

Old 11-24-2013, 07:19 AM
Flying too low
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had XM module installed yesterday and is useless it will lose signal even on highway under open skies. On back roads for get it. I have xm in my cars and boat and plane and all work great. Hell just changing direction causes it to drop off. I even going to ask for my money back it is so bad. I live in Orlando Fl Flat and open here.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:23 AM
stellarpod
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Ryndak
I just had XM module installed yesterday and is useless it will lose signal even on highway under open skies. On back roads for get it. I have xm in my cars and boat and plane and all work great. Hell just changing direction causes it to drop off. I even going to ask for my money back it is so bad. I live in Orlando Fl Flat and open here.

Jeff, did you read my post just above yours? They just need to relocate your antenna and life will be good.

Steve

Old 11-24-2013, 07:31 AM
Flying too low
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Steve!! I will have them do that. Did you have to fight to get them to do that?

Quick Reply: xm reception on 2014's