Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xm reception on 2014's

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 08:17 PM
stellarpod
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Dealer installed my XM antenna where the factory instructions said to position it. I found when riding north it went virtually quiet. Asked them to find another, higher position for it and now reception is excellent. Don't know exactly where they positioned it. I'll try to find out and report.

Steve

Old 11-14-2013, 08:32 PM
Rickl
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Just another viewpoint. I had originally installed XM on my bike but then because I had Sirius in my vehicle switched the unit out on my bike to Sirius. I rarely drop like I did prior with XM. This is either out east or out in the western states or in the Midwest.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:25 AM
digger2255
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had one installed last month seem to work pretty good here in Mich don't like trees or tunnels though.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:41 AM
Erock1800
Tourer

Originally Posted by hanny
I added the xm module myself and was pretty surprised at how well the reception really is,,,,,,,, pretty damn good in my area....................... pretty
Did you add it after your purchased the bike and you did the install? Was it easy?

Old 11-15-2013, 10:47 AM
ultralimited64
Advanced

Can anyone tell me what it cost to have a dealer add XM to our 2014's Limiteds. We thought they came with XM, did'n find out until we was at home searching for it.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:35 AM
motorman4566
Advanced

I have it on my 14 Flhxs and I say it is way worse than my 13 jeep...any real amount of trees on roadside and mine drops out. Same area jeep doesn't. May have to do with height and I agree with others hang them high. Not sure where dealer put mine prob where the paperwork said. When I do my bars this winter I will try to get it high as possible.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:43 AM
motorman4566
Advanced

Cost should be somewhere around 4-450 the xm module is big bucks and they prob charge you 1-1.5 hrs to do install. I had them put it in when I had black front end and internal amfm antenna. Just ask them to get antenna as high as possible. If you can do any work yourself it's prob a plug and play item. I had to teach harley how to activate it...lol

Old 11-15-2013, 03:29 PM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Activated the XM today and took 100 mile ride mixed wooded and open and some spottiness in the wooded area as you would expect but overall I'm very pleased with the reception even with the antenna inside the fairing.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:33 PM
Diggman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have XM in my 2014 FLHTK. The reception is mostly good but it cuts out much quicker and for longer than in my Chevy truck. I noticed that most of the time when we were in the mountains of East Tennessee and North Carolina, I was switching to FM because of how often it cut out. Trees and big hills tend to block the signal.

I'm thinking about moving the antenna to the inner fairing next to the mail slot button to see if that helps. Right now it is inside the fairing, on the top of the radio.

Diggs

Old 11-15-2013, 06:46 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by ultralimited64
Can anyone tell me what it cost to have a dealer add XM to our 2014's Limiteds. We thought they came with XM, did'n find out until we was at home searching for it.
I just had the XM Module installed by my dealer. I spoke with the tech, he said that it was much easier to install than the previous model year bikes. A simple plug and play. I also had the garage door opener installed, he charged me two hours for both installs. The garage door opener was a lot more work. Should you ever have that installed; the tech learned the hard way the instructions that come with the garage door opener are not updated for a 2014, my tech had to redo his work once he figured out the instructions were wrong. I like having both features. Have not activated my XM yet, Channel 1 comes through clear. Waiting til spring to activate, no need to pay for service during the winter months, I will just sign up for 6 months in April, let it expire and do the same the following year. Good luck

Quick Reply: xm reception on 2014's