Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Stage 1 A/C

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 02:07 PM
dhermann43
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Stage 1 A/C

Has anyone done a stage 1 using their factory air cleaner box. I know HD is selling a kit (Part # 29400129). Does it utilize the whole box or just the front half and not the back.

I'd love to see some pictures.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:10 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought this kit but exchanged it for the Ventilator because the back plate is just a plain cast material and I wanted either chrome or black. If you use this kit you will reuse the chrome stock cover but not the black plastic backing plate.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:17 PM
dhermann43
Cruiser

ok i noticed that also. I found that you can get the backing plate in chrome and piece the kit together that way.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Webo
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dhermann43
ok i noticed that also. I found that you can get the backing plate in chrome and piece the kit together that way.
Yes you can buy the chrome or black backing plate for $60 I think but my dealer did not have any instock. The Ventilator is only $249 so when you add the additional backing plate onto the original price your almost there. The filter in the Ventilator is much larger than stock and larger than the one your looking at. I doubt the bike could ever need more flow than either could provide though...lol

Old 11-12-2013, 02:32 PM
dhermann43
Cruiser

Yeah that is true, I get it. I liked the look of the stock A/C on the 14's. Alot nicer than the previous football design. However you do make a valid point.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:57 PM
rastas
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What does it matter if the backing late is black/chrome/cast alloy? Using the stock outer a/c housing you can't even see the backing plate.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Webo
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rastas
What does it matter if the backing late is black/chrome/cast alloy? Using the stock outer a/c housing you can't even see the backing plate.
You can see the two post pretty well no matter what AC you use. I wanted a finished look and liked the black to match the motor fins. It's all personal choice but I knew I did not want the cast metal looking post showing all the time so I went with the Ventilator. After looking at the filter and feeling the extra leg room I'm very glad I did. Again just personal choice, they all work well!

Old 11-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Harley Hound57
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

High temp black paint $4.99

Old 11-12-2013, 06:12 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Webo, I went with the ventilator for the same reason you did. They had a 2014 in the shop with the stop A/C and stage 1, to me it looked wrong, like it was missing the back of the A/C. With the ventilator it looks finished, I also looked at the fact the MoCo uses the ventilator on the CVO's and has for years.

As it has been said, it's all about personal taste. That is why the MoCo makes so many different colors and styles of bikes and or accessories.

One positive the stock 14 cover has over the ventilator: no need for a rain sock, I assume you can ride in the rain without putting anything over your A/C.

Scott

Old 11-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Coyote86
3rd Gear

Everyone covered the H-D upgrade kit options nicely, but here are a couple more details if needed.

-The larger air filter itself is not visible after the upgrade, even though, technically, it's open on the side.

-The parts guy at my H-D dealership gave me a tip that I haven't tried - if you want the filter element more visible, add a couple of washers under the cover to lift it off more.

-I mounted this SE a/c this weekend and it does improve air flow, as evidenced by poor combustion after the mod. I re-autotuned with my Power Vision and all is well again.

-The rubber seal around the stock cover falls off without the back plate to trap it; you might want to pull it off or tack it down with a few dots of super glue.

So this unit is a functional upgrade that looks almost stock (to me) and I like that for now; it's not as clean as stock, as others have pointed out, but I convinced myself I like the open look... Other units can also change the look more aggressively - to each their own (that's what makes mods great)!

Coyote.

Last edited by Coyote86; 11-13-2013 at 11:00 AM.

Quick Reply: 2014 Stage 1 A/C