Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander V w/ AutoTune?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 12:53 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Commander V w/ AutoTune?

Hi all, got a Power commander V, dynoed. Will Autotune benefits at all? Or just a waste of money since the bike was dyno tuned, not the canned map.

Bike has SE aircleaner, FuelMoto 3.5" pipes. Don't plan on changing anything else, at least in the near future.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:56 PM
deano360
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

if you dyno'd your bike theres not need for the auto tuner, i cant believe you would gain anything unless different mods are in the works then it would be dyno again or auto tune

Old 11-12-2013, 01:03 PM
ALUCARD19
Road Master

+1 above why dyno then buy a tuner waste of money if no further mods.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:11 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Waste of money! Here's why...

If you got the bike dyno'd, and the dynotune is optimum for your desired performance, economy, etc., then why would you want to alter that tune by installing an AutoTune? And if you did install an AutoTune, do you know where to set the AFR targets to obtain your desired performance and/or economy; or to match up with your dynotune? The AutoTune isn't a magical tuning device. It can only make adjustments to the targets you specify and program in.

Now if the dynotune leaves a little to be desired in performance and/or economy, then an AutoTune may help. But in that case, then the money you spent on the dynotune was a waste.

This is really an either/or option. Do one or the other, not both.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 3/4 life crisis
Hi all, got a Power commander V, dynoed. Will Autotune benefits at all? Or just a waste of money since the bike was dyno tuned, not the canned map.

Bike has SE aircleaner, FuelMoto 3.5" pipes. Don't plan on changing anything else, at least in the near future.
Dont know if the other that have posted on this actually have experience with this but, I am running a PC-V with auto tune on my bike and will tell you from 14k miles of experience with it. First, contrary to what other have said, a dyno tune is completely useless with a PC-V/Autotune bike because there are thousands of maps out there that will be about 90-95% close to what you have, and because the auto tune will constantly correct for those differences. The way that the auto tune works is that it mods a "base map" that is installed on the PC-V. It is not a system that you can just throw on the bike and it will make all the tuning adjustments for you. You must have a base map that is similar or close to what you are running in your bike.

Secondly, in regards to performance, the auto tune will make a noticeable difference in HOW THE BIKE RIDES and not in making more power. What you will experience with an auto tune module is a bike that is always running at its peak, regardless of whats going on outside. Thats what the dyno tune cant give you. If its cold, then the bike will run stronger, if its hot, the bike will run cooler, if its in-between, the bike will constantly make adjustments that you can notice. Thats what my experience has been with the auto tune.

When I do my big bore kit, i will have to get another map for that and then the auto tune will take over. Guess what will be cheaper? Getting another map, or going back to the dyno? Thats my point. I hope this helps.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:01 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

Originally Posted by Eshaw301
Dont know if the other that have posted on this actually have experience with this but, I am running a PC-V with auto tune on my bike and will tell you from 14k miles of experience with it. First, contrary to what other have said, a dyno tune is completely useless with a PC-V/Autotune bike because there are thousands of maps out there that will be about 90-95% close to what you have, and because the auto tune will constantly correct for those differences. The way that the auto tune works is that it mods a "base map" that is installed on the PC-V. It is not a system that you can just throw on the bike and it will make all the tuning adjustments for you. You must have a base map that is similar or close to what you are running in your bike.

Secondly, in regards to performance, the auto tune will make a noticeable difference in HOW THE BIKE RIDES and not in making more power. What you will experience with an auto tune module is a bike that is always running at its peak, regardless of whats going on outside. Thats what the dyno tune cant give you. If its cold, then the bike will run stronger, if its hot, the bike will run cooler, if its in-between, the bike will constantly make adjustments that you can notice. Thats what my experience has been with the auto tune.

When I do my big bore kit, i will have to get another map for that and then the auto tune will take over. Guess what will be cheaper? Getting another map, or going back to the dyno? Thats my point. I hope this helps.
Great info! That's maybe what I'm after. The ability to "fine Tune" the bike under various conditions. The whole idea of O2 sensors constant feedback make a lot of sense, vs a dyno tune is only good at the time/temp/humidity, etc. of the tune

Old 11-12-2013, 03:01 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

The only reason I could see maybe getting the auto tune would be if you were running two tunes in your PCV, your dyno'ed tune and maybe a mileage tune? With a switch you can change tunes on the fly with the PCV. Load up a base mileage map and let the auto tune dial it in. I used two tunes and auto tune on my 96" with TW-555 cams and it worked great. Not magic but I could see and feel a difference in my Fuel moto maps that they sent me, I would leave the dyno tuned map alone if its running fine.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:16 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,165 Likes on 1,357 Posts

The Auto Tune for PC-V actually works especially well along with a dyno tune, here's why: A properly developed dyno tuned map is correcting fuel mixture based on the PC-V's fuel table(s), the PC-V is an piggyback open loop tuner meaning you are using this map and the ECM's lookup tables to provide accurate fuel delivery, there is no additional fuel correction. When you use the PC-V with your dyno tuned map in conjunction with the Auto Tune tune module the user has the ability to use the specific AFR targets that were used on the dyno when the map was created, so essentially you will then have full time closed loop operation with the wideband sensors. This combination will maintain the same target mixture at sea level and at 10,000ft, rather than relying on the base PC-V map and factory ECM calculations to compensate for changes in air density, temp, variances in fuel, etc...
Hope this info helps.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

The following users liked this post:
mikeyhd_81shovel (03-02-2018)
Old 11-12-2013, 03:59 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
The Auto Tune for PC-V actually works especially well along with a dyno tune, here's why: A properly developed dyno tuned map is correcting fuel mixture based on the PC-V's fuel table(s), the PC-V is an piggyback open loop tuner meaning you are using this map and the ECM's lookup tables to provide accurate fuel delivery, there is no additional fuel correction. When you use the PC-V with your dyno tuned map in conjunction with the Auto Tune tune module the user has the ability to use the specific AFR targets that were used on the dyno when the map was created, so essentially you will then have full time closed loop operation with the wideband sensors. This combination will maintain the same target mixture at sea level and at 10,000ft, rather than relying on the base PC-V map and factory ECM calculations to compensate for changes in air density, temp, variances in fuel, etc...
Hope this info helps.
Thank you Jamie for the info, Eshaw was right in line with your recommendation. I do see AutoTune in my future.....

Old 11-12-2013, 04:33 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

+ 1 on Fuel Moto's reply

Quick Reply: Power Commander V w/ AutoTune?