Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 download thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Bearcat1
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Stage 1 download thoughts?

For those that have had a Harley stage 1 download done what are your thoughts? Was it worth it and did it actually make any difference? Did the bike run good without any decel pop, etc? Have had tuners and dynos in the past but wanting to try to keep things relatively simple on my 14' and was thinking about going this route. Thanks.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:12 PM
WEINERDOGBONE
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I had a PC V and went from that to a stage 1 download from the dealership. I've been very happy with it. No decel pop or any other issues.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,601 Likes on 2,724 Posts

Waste of money! For a few extra bucks, I'd get the Fuel Moto Micro tuner, it takes PC-V maps, and Fuel Moto has a map that will match your setup, and free maps for life.

They are selling them now for $199. I'd bet they want at least $150 for the goofy dealer download.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/harley/fm-011.html

Down lower in the page they note that its 'coming soon' for the 2014, worth the wait, I'd think. It cant be too long, they already have a few '14 models certified.

Last edited by Keithhu; 11-11-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:23 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Just get a tuner that constantly tunes, super simple. Probably will run cooler with better mpg too.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:26 PM
Bearcat1
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Waste of money! For a few extra bucks, I'd get the Fuel Moto Micro tuner, it takes PC-V maps, and Fuel Moto has a map that will match your setup, and free maps for life.

They are selling them now for $199. I'd bet they want at least $150 for the goofy dealer download.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/harley/fm-011.html

Down lower in the page they note that its 'coming soon' for the 2014, worth the wait, I'd think. It cant be too long, they already have a few '14 models certified.
Yes I am familiar with the Micro Tuner from Fuel Moto. Have used both the PC V and the Power Vision purchased from FM with maps produced by Jamie. Bikes always ran pretty good once they were dialed in with the correct map values. I don't really want to mess with carrying a piggy back unit on the bike nor dial in a map anymore. I find myself being **** on getting it dialed in just right. I just want to run some good pipes, good breather and a bike that runs well without getting too complicated.

Last edited by Bearcat1; 11-12-2013 at 06:01 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:20 PM
2>4
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my Street Glide dyno tuned twice with the Screamin Eagle Super Tuner Pro. Each time it had a lot of decel popping and smelled very gassy. I kept it simple with my Road King. I put on an HD high flow A/C, Screamin Eagle Fatshotz mufflers, and did a stage 1 download. I kept the stock head pipe. It runs much better than my Street Glide ever did. Next year I may get a new head pipe and Power Vison tuner from Fuel Moto. For now, the bike runs great. I realize the reason my Street Glide ran poorly was probably because the guy doing the tune did not do a very good job. It was tuned a large HD shop that does a lot of tuning.

Last edited by 2>4; 11-11-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,601 Likes on 2,724 Posts

Originally Posted by 2>4
I had my Street Glide dyno tuned twice with the Screamin Eagle Super Tuner Pro. Each time it had a lot of decel popping and smelled very gassy. I kept it simple with my Road King. I put on an HD high flow A/C, Screamin Eagle Fatshotz mufflers, and did a stage 1 download. I kept the stock head pipe. It runs much better than my Street Glide ever did. Next year I may get a new head pipe and Power Vison from Fuel Moto. For now, the bike runs great.
I'd bet its because dealers cant tune worth a crap. Amazing that they charged you for a crappy tune and turned around and got you for the stage 1 download.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:49 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

I assume the HD stage one download keeps warrany intack..the 14s run pretty darn good stock. I am also going with the stage one download, slip-ons and A/C. Want the warranty for future hassle free repairs. If needed.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:49 PM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts
Default ****

Originally Posted by Bearcat1
Yes I am familiar with the Micro Tuner from Fuel Moto. Have used both the PC V and the Power Vision purchased from FM with maps produced by Jamie. Bikes always ran pretty good once they were dialed in with the correct mwanalap values. I don't really want to mess with carry a piggy back unit on the bike nor dial in a map anymore. I find myself being **** on getting it dialed in just right. I just want to run some good pipes, good breather and a bike that runs well without getting too complicated.
Sounds like you have made the decision. Now for direct feedback, I got the download on my 09 road king, better throttle response, and no decel pop. If that's as far as you know you will go for mods, then do it. Now on my 2011 103, I got the Stage 2 dowload for 255 cams (because I was going to install them after 500 miles) and ran it that way for a while on the stock cams. If I were you, I'd go this route on the download. That download had more low end timing and the bike responded very well.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:53 PM
risuperglidecustomman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm pretty happy with mine. Bike runs good. It's gonna run even better when I install a De-Catted head pipe I ordered from E-Bay!

Quick Reply: Stage 1 download thoughts?