Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Reservoir Door Mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013 | 09:54 PM
Smokee
Advanced

Well this exchange of insults has certainly been entertaining but life goes on.
I too had a 2011 FLHTK and now I have a 2014 FLHTK. I agree that the '14 is overall a way better machine to me because it has things on it that the '11 didn't have and that's why I bought it. No problems in 3,500 miles, but if I decide to carry extra coolant, extra water, or a **** funnel (with a long hose on it), I'll do it. But I probably won't tell anyone here! :-)

Old 11-13-2013 | 11:12 PM
Brykwil
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Weavr99FLHT
There is no need to carry spare coolant. it has been well published that the twin-cooled 103 will run fine without coolant until you can find a source and re-fill.
There is (no need) to carry spare coolant ............(until you can find a source) and re-fill. (LMAO)

Old 11-14-2013 | 10:27 AM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master

Originally Posted by Weavr99FLHT
There is no need to carry spare coolant. it has been well published that the twin-cooled 103 will run fine without coolant until you can find a source and re-fill.
Tech Tip 430 states do not ride motorcycle if you lose all your coolant. It will could cause engine damage. Just saying!

Old 11-14-2013 | 10:39 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter
Veteran: Army

If it was my bike, until there was a definite Harley recall fix and the issues stopped I would carry a little antifreeze myself, and yes my truck tool box does have anti freeze and oil in it.
If I knew my bike burned oil I would carry spare oil as well. I wouldn't carry spare tires but I do have a pump and tire patch kit like Skratch said. And I have seen Skratch's tool kit, believe me that when another rider needs help his kit comes in real handy.

Most of the replies from people saying they would never carry anti freeze also don't have a 2014 bike that has had an anti freeze puke problem.

Good innovation on you door mod Brykwil, nothing wrong with thinking ahead.

Old 11-14-2013 | 11:04 AM
Brykwil
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
If it was my bike, until there was a definite Harley recall fix and the issues stopped I would carry a little antifreeze myself, and yes my truck tool box does have anti freeze and oil in it.
If I knew my bike burned oil I would carry spare oil as well. I wouldn't carry spare tires but I do have a pump and tire patch kit like Skratch said. And I have seen Skratch's tool kit, believe me that when another rider needs help his kit comes in real handy.

Most of the replies from people saying they would never carry anti freeze also don't have a 2014 bike that has had an anti freeze puke problem.

Thank You

Old 11-14-2013 | 12:42 PM
Boltsfaninmo
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hd_rolling

Thanks for understanding common sense, and not criticizing us for having the same.

Old 11-14-2013 | 12:54 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kugie's HOG
Tech Tip 430 states do not ride motorcycle if you lose all your coolant. It will could cause engine damage. Just saying!
I provided the source of my information, if you disagree take it up with them. I was simply providing to the OP what 2 reputable publications printed and attributed to H-D engineers.

Last edited by Weavr99FLHT; 11-14-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-14-2013 | 01:20 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Geoff
Only problem is it'll leak on your garage floor when you get home.
Let me see if I have this right:
You ride the bike, park it, it pisses out the coolant on the garage floor.
You **** in the bike.
Ride the bike, park the bike, it pisses the coolant on the garage floor.
It appears to me you are just pissing on your garage floor by proxy.
A rather expensive proxy.
Sounds like you have a system going on.
Albiet a little strange...

Old 11-14-2013 | 01:54 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Brykwil
Removed one clip, lower left .Now i can remove my reservoir door by hand,just grab lower left a pop out.No movement of door without clip. I also carry two water bottles filled with antifreeze <well marked>and a small funnel in a 1gal ziploc baggie.So if my bike takes a **** I'm ready to rehydrate it.
I really hate to bring this thread BACK on topic. LOL.

but...

I don't understand the need for the mod. I can pull the coolant door right off my 2014 Limited with my hand.

BTW, Brykwil, I've enjoyed some of your other mod posts, so F the haters. And carrying a little coolant isn't a bad idea. I probably would/will if mine ever leaks. Before that, I'd rather pretend to live in ignorant bliss that mine hasn't/will never leak.

Old 11-14-2013 | 03:59 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by offthewall
I'd rather pretend to live in ignorant bliss that mine hasn't/will never leak.
Uh oh, now you did it! Better go check the garage and bring a mop, you just had to go and say it.

Quick Reply: My Reservoir Door Mod