Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Reservoir Door Mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013 | 03:23 PM
lazye
Cruiser

hey it's his bike, he can carry whatever he wants.... i do!

Old 11-13-2013 | 04:07 PM
mgibson61611
Tourer

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
I'm thinkin good old water would work in an emergency, here's what I did to modify my coolant doors. Pics aren't the greatest though. More room for stuff. Bags are centered on each door, doesn't look like it on the pic though
+1. Without a doubt, I'd use tap water rather than be sitting on the side of the road... (but I won't dis anyone carrying coolant!)

Last edited by mgibson61611; 11-13-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-13-2013 | 07:14 PM
Boltsfaninmo
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
The only thing I find crazy is that you think it's acceptable to pay 40k for a bike and don't trust it's reliability.

40K? Seriously? Did you gold plate the fork tubes or what?
I wouldn't trust the bike if I had paid nothing. Fact is, mine and others peoples bikes puke coolant. It's like the car I had in when I was 16 that leaked oil like crazy. On long trips I drove with oil in the trunk because I never knew when I would have to add some. Did I trust my car? Hell no, it freakin' leaked oil. Do I trust my bike? Hell no, it freakin' leaks coolant. So, I carry coolant and a funnel in the bag even though my fork tubes are gold plated.

Old 11-13-2013 | 07:19 PM
Jersey_Marine
Cruiser

Why do you guys find it almost acceptable to have to carry coolant in your saddlebags? You paid 20+K for your bike and it seems as though you guys have almost an accepting attitude. Ive owned a crap load of Japanese bikes and never had that issue and they didnt cost anything near what your Harley's cost. If I had a liquid cooled Harley that I paid 20+K for and it was constantly pissing coolant I would be a crazy person..

Old 11-13-2013 | 07:39 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Boltsfaninmo
Fact is, mine and others peoples bikes puke coolant.
Then the dealer should fix it or you should Lemon Law it. It's not a normal condition.

Old 11-13-2013 | 07:42 PM
Boltsfaninmo
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Jersey_Marine
Why do you guys find it almost acceptable to have to carry coolant in your saddlebags? You paid 20+K for your bike and it seems as though you guys have almost an accepting attitude. Ive owned a crap load of Japanese bikes and never had that issue and they didnt cost anything near what your Harley's cost. If I had a liquid cooled Harley that I paid 20+K for and it was constantly pissing coolant I would be a crazy person..
Why do you say we find it "almost acceptable?" I HATE that I have to carry coolant to ride my bike, but I'm not an idiot. No way I'm gonna ride out to the middle of nowhere and not have coolant with me when I know my bike may leak. I don't see that as "accepting or acceptable," but what do we do? I'm so f'n pissed that I spent tons of money on a bike the get's recalled and pukes, but they won't take it back. What do we do? We freakin' ride and carry coolant. What is so wrong with that? The alternative is to park it or sell it. What I wish would happen is Moco fixes the damn thing, so that I trusted it like I did my Jap bikes.

Old 11-13-2013 | 08:24 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Why do you guys find it almost acceptable to have to carry coolant in your saddlebags?
it's not that it's 'almost acceptable'. i just don't like being caught out in the middle of nowhere unprepared. if i take a long drive in my car, i put a quart of oil in the trunk. does that mean i don't trust my car? no, i just want it for peace of mind should i need it.

i don't have a 2014 twin cooled, but if i did, i would probably carry a little bottle in the fairing lower too when on a long ride.

hope for the best, prepare for the worst.....

Old 11-13-2013 | 09:03 PM
Jersey_Marine
Cruiser

Last edited by Jersey_Marine; 11-13-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-13-2013 | 09:05 PM
Jersey_Marine
Cruiser

Yep. My bike would have a for sale sign on it thats for sure and I would make sure Harley knew I would never buy another product from them again. This is the same reason this company has found themselves in financial problems several times in their history. Its unacceptable to have to carry fluid of any sort in your saddlebags. If they had a softail that was liquid cooled without bags and you owned one with this problem would you carry a backpack with anti-freeze in it? Its obviously a defect and its time for you guys to come up with some kind of class action suit for this or get a lawyer involved personally

Old 11-13-2013 | 09:12 PM
Boltsfaninmo
Road Captain

Yep. My bike would have a for sale sign on it thats for sure and I would make sure Harley knew I would never buy another product from them again. This is the same reason this company has found themselves in financial problems several times in their history. Its unacceptable to have to carry fluid of any sort in your saddlebags. If they had a softail that was liquid cooled without bags and you owned one with this problem would you carry a backpack with anti-freeze in it? Its obviously a defect and its time for you guys to come up with some kind of class action suit for this or get a lawyer involved personally
I would sell it, but it's hands down the best bike I've ever owned. It's way better than my 2011 FLHTK. So, my hope is that Moco comes up with a fix. Until that day, I'll continue to ride the **** out of my bike while carring coolant.

Quick Reply: My Reservoir Door Mod