Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Reservoir Door Mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013 | 04:22 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member

I carry a spare qt of oil to , just incase I frig up something again , I can get home and still use the oil I want instead of what I can find , I also carried a qt of anti freeze when I had a GW , ya just never know

Old 11-12-2013 | 06:04 PM
Brykwil
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by cass
yeah, but that way all he has to do is pull over and look in the lower.....not try and go home, parts store or dealer. think its not a bad idea....just a bit of prior planning.
What he said.

Old 11-12-2013 | 06:10 PM
Brykwil
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Weavr99FLHT
Motorcycle Consumer News Vol. 44 No. 11 (November 2013) page 12: "The specific percentage of the cooling duties split between air and liquid was not available, but according to H-D engineers, the motor is all but completely air-cooled, and is quite capable of running for extended periods without coolant in the system."

Rider Magazine December 2013 page 24-25: According to Matt Hoffman, senior project engineer at H-D, the percentage of total cooling accounted for by the Twin-Cooled system depends on operating conditions, with liquid cooling providing roughly 25 percent of total cooling at highway speeds and 85 percent of the total at idle. "combining the affects of air and liquid cooling allows us to optimize the performance of the Twin-Cooled system and still maintain the look, sound and feel of our Twin Cam engine", said Hoffman. And should the Twin-Cooled system spring a leak or the water pump fail, the engine will run with air-cooling alone to reach service under its own power."

Personally, I could give a rat's a$$ what you carry but you initiated the discussion by posting your enhancement on a public forum, thereby, inviting comments both in or out of agreement to your point of view.

What difference does it make if I own a 2014 or not??? Do you expect every mechanic who works on your cars, bikes, etc to own the exact same as you before offering any advice or suggestions? Maybe I'm doing my due-diligence for a future purchase? Maybe my occupation requires me to be up to date on the latest? I was merely stating, in response to your post, what i've read (and hereby posted) that according to H-D engineers, carrying extra coolant is not necessary. And I don't recall being hostile about it - you are the one that called BS.
I stand corrected, that's good info thanks. But if you don't mind I'll carry the coolant anyway and not have to divert for my road trip or inconvenience the group I'm riding with. Thanks for caring so much.

Last edited by Brykwil; 11-12-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-12-2013 | 06:37 PM
Jersey_Marine
Cruiser

Why is everyone giving this rookie motorcyclist so much of their time by entertaining his nonsense. Including myself! I feel dumber after reading each one of his posts...This 14' is probably his first real bike and he is just a rookie and don't know any better. Its evident the guy isn't very intelligent. There's no reasoning with stupid... Hey OP. Strapping 2 spare tires on your back prior to stepping off on a ride would make more sense than carrying coolant in your saddlebags. What would happen if you got stranded because the sidewall of one of your tires got a gash in it? Water would be easier to locate than a motorcycle tire..

Last edited by Jersey_Marine; 11-12-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-12-2013 | 07:24 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member

I can tell you that the owners manual for my 2014 Limited says NOT to ride the bike without coolant. I've not had any problem with mine at all. The coolant contains a lubricant for the water pump as well. I'm figuring I'm not going to have an issue, but if I do, I figure good old H2O can't be too far and will get me home.

Old 11-12-2013 | 07:35 PM
Brykwil
|
Tourer

I'm not going around in circles I'm riding all over the US so therefore I have to be prepared (two small water bottles).Unlike you who goes in circles over & over Chasing seconds obviously not fast enough to get picked up by a team, but that's another story, but that could be the reason for your hostility. You should look into that maybe some professional help, just saying

Old 11-13-2013 | 06:22 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

man, tough crowd today.

i used to catch a lot of flak (jokingly) for having everything but the kitchen sink in my saddlebags. it really wasn't that much, but i carried what i felt i needed just in case....

it was all fun and games until the one day that we were en route to a meeting and one of the guys got a flat tire. pulled out my tubeless repair kit, plugged his tire, and then aired his tire up with my small compressor. since we were in the middle of nowhere, he was damn glad that i had my stuff.

Old 11-13-2013 | 09:44 AM
Brykwil
|
Tourer

Ya, I wish I didn't bring up what I carry in my saddlebags. My easy access door mod got lost. Was just trying to contribute/give back for all the great info I have got off this forum. Next time I will think long and hard before I try to help out. This was to much like work.

Last edited by Brykwil; 11-13-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-13-2013 | 02:01 PM
Boltsfaninmo
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Brykwil
Ya, I wish I didn't bring up what I carry in my saddlebags. My easy access door mod got lost. Was just trying to contribute/give back for all the great info I have got off this forum. Next time I will think long and hard before I try to help out. This was to much like work.
Don't let the idiots who think you're an idiot get to you. I seriously cannot believe you're catching **** for carring antifreeze in your bags given the type of bike you ride. I too carry it in my bag. Why not? The idiots would too if their 2014 pissed all over when the bike shut off. I routinely go on day trips of 300 to 400 miles into rural areas. I really don't want to shut off the bike, have it puke, and me not feel comfortable riding it 150 to 200 miles back home with no coolant.
GET A CLUE PEOPLE, THE 2014 BIKES LEAK AND PUKE COOLANT!!! If you think I'm crazy as a loon for carring coolant to protect my $40k investment, oh well...I'll continue to carry the coolant until I'm comfortable my bike won't puke.

Old 11-13-2013 | 02:24 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Boltsfaninmo
If you think I'm crazy as a loon for carring coolant to protect my $40k investment, oh well...I'll continue to carry the coolant until I'm comfortable my bike won't puke.
The only thing I find crazy is that you think it's acceptable to pay 40k for a bike and don't trust it's reliability.

40K? Seriously? Did you gold plate the fork tubes or what?

Quick Reply: My Reservoir Door Mod