Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Reservoir Door Mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013 | 06:31 PM
Brykwil
|
Tourer

Wow, you said a lot. Can I suggest you stop sniffing race fuel. If you think my idea is a bad one you should read more!

Old 11-12-2013 | 11:42 AM
dyolfknip
Road Master

Do you carry spare coolant in your car also? If yours has had "the fix" then all you will have is two old bottles of coolant in your bike. But hey, it's your ride, carry a crotchless lobster suit with gag ball and **** beads.

Old 11-12-2013 | 12:14 PM
Brykwil
|
Tourer

The fix,,O ok I took the bag out of my saddlebags.Thanks for the help.

Old 11-12-2013 | 01:10 PM
dyolfknip
Road Master

Originally Posted by Brykwil
The fix,,O ok I took the bag out of my saddlebags.Thanks for the help.

Now, now......don't go away mad.........

Old 11-12-2013 | 01:45 PM
Brykwil
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
Now, now......don't go away mad.........
I'm not mad. My 2014 makes me very happy. To each his own. Everybody has their own opinion. When somebody gets hostile over what other person is carrying or not carrying in his saddlebags I think that's sad.

Old 11-12-2013 | 02:25 PM
Rickr01
Club Member

Originally Posted by Weavr99FLHT
There is no need to carry spare coolant. it has been well published that the twin-cooled 103 will run fine without coolant until you can find a source and re-fill.

No disrespect intended but where is this well documented from the Motor Company? I've seen folks here with opinions but nothing factual from Mother Harley about running without coolant. I thought I read that one should not because the timing is fixed, the material that the water jacket is cut into makes the valve area much thinner and more subject to the increase in heat etc. etc. Long story short, not a good idea or recommended?

Old 11-12-2013 | 02:26 PM
dyolfknip
Road Master

I'm not mad. My 2014 makes me very happy. To each his own. Everybody has their own opinion. When somebody gets hostile over what other person is carrying or not carrying in his saddlebags I think that's sad.
It's all good man, seriously the idea to make it easy access is great. I would stuff something else in there though. Maybe some Skull accessories or leather fringe though

And seeing as I won't even run saddlesbags on mine, I guess I really don't have much of a poker in this fire.

Old 11-12-2013 | 03:39 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by chainsaw123
Low on fluid in middle of nowhere just pi$$ in it. I am serious, not a joke. fluid is fluid.
Only problem is it'll leak on your garage floor when you get home.

Old 11-12-2013 | 04:08 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

I call BS! You should post a link for all this useful information. Stating you could ride your bike without coolant. I don't know where you ride but where I ride it's pretty desolate at times. If it makes you feel any better I'll take one of the bottles out and just ride with one instead of two since you're so concerned about What i carry in my saddlebag. Do you even own a 2014?
Motorcycle Consumer News Vol. 44 No. 11 (November 2013) page 12: "The specific percentage of the cooling duties split between air and liquid was not available, but according to H-D engineers, the motor is all but completely air-cooled, and is quite capable of running for extended periods without coolant in the system."

Rider Magazine December 2013 page 24-25: According to Matt Hoffman, senior project engineer at H-D, the percentage of total cooling accounted for by the Twin-Cooled system depends on operating conditions, with liquid cooling providing roughly 25 percent of total cooling at highway speeds and 85 percent of the total at idle. "combining the affects of air and liquid cooling allows us to optimize the performance of the Twin-Cooled system and still maintain the look, sound and feel of our Twin Cam engine", said Hoffman. And should the Twin-Cooled system spring a leak or the water pump fail, the engine will run with air-cooling alone to reach service under its own power."

Personally, I could give a rat's a$$ what you carry but you initiated the discussion by posting your enhancement on a public forum, thereby, inviting comments both in or out of agreement to your point of view.

What difference does it make if I own a 2014 or not??? Do you expect every mechanic who works on your cars, bikes, etc to own the exact same as you before offering any advice or suggestions? Maybe I'm doing my due-diligence for a future purchase? Maybe my occupation requires me to be up to date on the latest? I was merely stating, in response to your post, what i've read (and hereby posted) that according to H-D engineers, carrying extra coolant is not necessary. And I don't recall being hostile about it - you are the one that called BS.

Last edited by Weavr99FLHT; 11-12-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 11-12-2013 | 04:09 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rickr01
No disrespect intended but where is this well documented from the Motor Company? I've seen folks here with opinions but nothing factual from Mother Harley about running without coolant. I thought I read that one should not because the timing is fixed, the material that the water jacket is cut into makes the valve area much thinner and more subject to the increase in heat etc. etc. Long story short, not a good idea or recommended?
See previous post

Quick Reply: My Reservoir Door Mod