Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Reservoir Door Mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013 | 04:41 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Brykwil
You must work for Harley-Davidson service department! LMAO
every magazine review that I've seen of the 14's has stated this as direct from MOCO (Rider, Motorcycle Consumer News, etc). Auto parts stores are a dime a dozen, and coolant can be bought at any convenience store. you don't have to go far to find. seriously, carrying extra coolant makes me LMAO. but to each their own.

Old 11-11-2013 | 05:13 PM
Brykwil
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Weavr99FLHT
every magazine review that I've seen of the 14's has stated this as direct from MOCO (Rider, Motorcycle Consumer News, etc). Auto parts stores are a dime a dozen, and coolant can be bought at any convenience store. you don't have to go far to find. seriously, carrying extra coolant makes me LMAO. but to each their own.
I call BS! You should post a link for all this useful information. Stating you could ride your bike without coolant. I don't know where you ride but where I ride it's pretty desolate at times. If it makes you feel any better I'll take one of the bottles out and just ride with one instead of two since you're so concerned about What i carry in my saddlebag. Do you even own a 2014?

Old 11-11-2013 | 05:28 PM
Jersey_Marine
Cruiser

Removed one clip, lower left .Now i can remove my reservoir door by hand,just grab lower left a pop out.No movement of door without clip. I also carry two water bottles filled with antifreeze <well marked>and a small funnel in a 1gal ziploc baggie.So if my bike takes a **** I'm ready to rehydrate it.
Weirdest post I think I ever read in any forum Ive ever belonged to. Ive owned well over 12 bikes (10 being water cooled) for over 17 years and raced for 13 of those years and never thought of or heard of anybody carrying anti-freeze with them just in case the bike needed it. If you need to keep refilling your bike with anti-freeze then the bike has a tremendous problem. If it doesn't have a coolant issue than you may have OCD. Do you count the strokes while applying your underarm deodorant too?

Old 11-11-2013 | 05:31 PM
Brykwil
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Jersey_Marine
Weirdest post I think I ever read in any forum Ive ever belonged to. Ive owned well over 12 bikes (10 being water cooled) for over 17 years and raced for 13 of those years and never thought of or heard of anybody carrying anti-freeze with them just in case the bike needed it. If you need to keep refilling your bike with anti-freeze then the bike has a tremendous problem. If it doesn't have a coolant issue than you may have OCD. Do you count the strokes while applying your underarm deodorant too?
Wow,what rock do you live under!

Old 11-11-2013 | 05:33 PM
marvincbr
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Jersey_Marine

What?! Doesn't everyone count?...

Old 11-11-2013 | 05:46 PM
Brykwil
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by marvincbr
What?! Doesn't everyone count?...
One thing we can agree on, that funny.

Old 11-11-2013 | 05:46 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member

I'm thinkin good old water would work in an emergency, here's what I did to modify my coolant doors. Pics aren't the greatest though. More room for stuff. Bags are centered on each door, doesn't look like it on the pic though

Attached Thumbnails My Reservoir Door Mod-cid__img_1520.jpg   My Reservoir Door Mod-cid__img_1519.jpg  
Old 11-11-2013 | 06:04 PM
Brykwil
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
I'm thinkin good old water would work in an emergency, here's what I did to modify my coolant doors. Pics aren't the greatest though. More room for stuff. Bags are centered on each door, doesn't look like it on the pic though
Nice job, make sure you don't put any stuff in those bags that aren't approved by the guys on this thread, they get really mad. Sure water mite do it but again it's all about convenience if my bike takes a **** out in the middle of nowhere ill simply reach in my saddlebag with one hand and grab a bottle of Harley approved coolant And be on my merry way. And to be clear for the slow guys on here it only gets packed when I go on a substantial ride not just around town. Does that make you feel better.

Old 11-11-2013 | 06:13 PM
chainsaw123
Tourer

Low on fluid in middle of nowhere just pi$$ in it. I am serious, not a joke. fluid is fluid.

Old 11-11-2013 | 06:15 PM
Jersey_Marine
Cruiser

Wow,what rock do you live under!
Ive roadraced all over the US for many years as a privateer. I was my mechanic as well as the racer. I have enough experience with motorcycles that Im pretty confident to say it probably exceeds yours. I spent a good portion of my life chasing seconds around a racetrack and also enjoying my street bikes. In racebikes we aren't allowed to use anti/freeze because anti-freeze is glycol based and will make the macadam slick if there is a crash and anti-freeze leaks out. In place of anti-freeze we use either straight water or a non glycol based substance called Water Wetter. Only a small amount of Water Wetter is used in an entire coolant system full of water and its only used to lubricate the water pump and internals regarding the system. It does not have any anti-freezing agent in it at all. Since I have to give you this period of instruction on coolant systems it leads me to believe you didn't know that within the slim chance of your coolant system pissing out all of your anti-freeze, you can use plain ole' H2O to get you home and you don't have to carry around anti-freeze bottles in your saddlebags like some nutcase. If water is good enough to cool a 185mph missile going around a racetrack at almost full redline at all times its good enough for your 85hp Harley.
As I finish typing this I cant believe I just wasting 3 minutes of my life responding to this ridiculous thread. I think you started this thread just to hear yourself talk or in this case..watch yourself type and show everyone reading this what a rookie you are to motorcycling.

Last edited by Jersey_Marine; 11-11-2013 at 06:18 PM.

Quick Reply: My Reservoir Door Mod