Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

110 CVO Limited vs 103 Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 04:11 AM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 290 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by jus2anoyu
The 110 makes a lot more hp and tq. The cvo has a lot more cool stuff on it as well. The cvo will hold its value better too. Yes, you could spend 11k on a limited and make it a sweet bike. But you would never get that 11k back when you trade. Keep in mind that the 110's are a very noisy engine, more so than the 103.
Exactly right, the CVO will hold its value better than an ultra with all the bells, whistles and motor upgrades. I spent quite a bit on an 07 from paint to pipes and the SE 110 upgrade and never got near what I put into it when I moved up to a CVO. Test rode a 2014 limited a while back and it don't compare to the my stock 12 CVO. To each his own, Me I would rather travel so I spend the money I would normally dump into upgrades on gas,oil, tires and hotel rooms.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:37 AM
Charlie Fogg
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garyFLHPI
Thank you for your post. I have a question, if you had to choose between Harley and a Beemer, which would you take? In other wards, would you trade your Harley for a Beemer if there was only one choice? Thank you.
Hard question to answer because I like both bikes and will be keeping both. However, at this point, if I had to choose it would probably be the BMW. I had to spend about $2000 on ergonomics to get the BMW comfy for the long haul. While I only have had 1 minor issue, BMW quality is questionable from everything I have read and I have not had an issue with my last 2 HD's. The BMW goes long distance so easily and effortlessly and with so much technology, it's hard not to choose it. Both bikes have strengths and weaknesses.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:48 AM
dgreen1069
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are only looking at the motor, there isn't enough power difference to justify the additional $11k. That said, the power difference is absolutely noticeable. I ride a 2011 103" and a 2014 110" regularly and the 110" pulls much harder (not exactly an apples to apples comparison because the 2014 103" has a bit more power than the 2011).

Not counting the motor, there are about $3000 worth of goodies on the CVO that I wanted and would have added to a limited (which I almost bought). The sat. radio, upgraded speakers and amp, and heated seats were a must for me. All the chrome, paint, adjustable passenger foot boards, etc. was just icing on the cake.

I never in a million years would have thought I'd spend $40k on a motorcycle. On the other hand, what the hell.....life is short and in 5 short years it will be all mine :-)

Old 06-16-2014, 10:01 AM
Votluna
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to buy a Road King and looked at the "regular" and CVO versions closely. Many things went into deciding to buy the regular FLHR: I did not like the two tone green paint, I did not like the blacked out and smaller engine guards, there's chrome in places like the bottom of the brake pedal that I could care less about, I did not like the windscreen (although may end up buying one anyway) and the dealers were getting top dollar for the CVO while they were willing to negotiate a bit on the regular bike. I ride my RK pretty hard and I went WOT throttle for the first time last weekend so the engine in the stock bike is pretty strong. Oh yeah looking at the windshield my parts guy informs me that "everything that goes on a CVO is more expensive." I'd take issue as to whether the CVO actually holds value better.

Last edited by Votluna; 06-16-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:38 PM
dgreen1069
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Votluna
I wanted to buy a Road King and looked at the "regular" and CVO versions closely. Many things went into deciding to buy the regular FLHR: I did not like the two tone green paint, I did not like the blacked out and smaller engine guards, there's chrome in places like the bottom of the brake pedal that I could care less about, I did not like the windscreen (although may end up buying one anyway) and the dealers were getting top dollar for the CVO while they were willing to negotiate a bit on the regular bike. I ride my RK pretty hard and I went WOT throttle for the first time last weekend so the engine in the stock bike is pretty strong. Oh yeah looking at the windshield my parts guy informs me that "everything that goes on a CVO is more expensive." I'd take issue as to whether the CVO actually holds value better.
I think the only time the CVO holds value better is when compared to a stock bike with thousands of add-ons. The resale market does not offer much return on add-on parts, but the CVO has everything already added to the value of the bike. It would be similar to supping up a Mustang to be like a Cobra. It may look and go the same, but when it comes time to sell it's still not a Cobra (or M, AMG, etc.).

Old 06-16-2014, 02:58 PM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by jus2anoyu
The 110 makes a lot more hp and tq. The cvo has a lot more cool stuff on it as well. The cvo will hold its value better too. Yes, you could spend 11k on a limited and make it a sweet bike. But you would never get that 11k back when you trade. Keep in mind that the 110's are a very noisy engine, more so than the 103.
Last spring I bought an FLHTCUSE8 and I thought it was the cat's ***....that is till I started to ride it. I found it to be lumbering (weight wise); noisey and very hot! While the paint finish was beautiful, the rest of the finish was just so so!

I traded the bike in on a 2014 FLHTK and I have not looked back. The 14 Ultra Ltd is everything you would want in a bike and then some. Handling -superb; heat & discomfort - unheard of; noise- minimal and insofar as beefing up the tq and hp......well, my friend Jamie Long at Fuel Moto has a lot of offerings in that dept.

Worth the extra $11k - hardly, IMHO.

Lobo

Old 06-16-2014, 03:04 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These threads are hilarious. If you bought a regular bike you come here and try to justify your reasoning and why your bike was the better buy. If you buy the CVO you do the same thing trying to convince all the naysayers why you think the CVO is better then the average production bike. Here's an idea, buy what YOU want, ride what YOU want, and don't give a sh*t what anybody thinks.

BTW $40k isn't that much money these days. Remember, the $100 dollar bill is the new $20 and a $60k a year job is about equivalent to a $30k a year job any more. Has anyone been car shopping lately? It's $55k for a pick up truck and an Impala is over $40k.

Just ride man....

Old 06-16-2014, 03:22 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have always wanted a CVO. Had a 07 Ultra that I spent close to 4 grand getting it where I wanted. At 60,000 miles I traded for a CVO Street Glide, 2012.
Added a cat less header, dyno tuned and the quick release matching trunk.
I really like the cvo better. These are touring bikes so power is kinda offset you might say. The 110 has more than enough to cruise and not have to worry about needing more power. Even with 2 up, loaded and my trailer.
I test road the Bmw and liked it a lot. But for service I had to ride 3 hours one way. That was more than I wanted to do.As much as I ride I would have to go down there every 5 - 6 weeks.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:23 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jswerve
These threads are hilarious. If you bought a regular bike you come here and try to justify your reasoning and why your bike was the better buy. If you buy the CVO you do the same thing trying to convince all the naysayers why you think the CVO is better then the average production bike. Here's an idea, buy what YOU want, ride what YOU want, and don't give a sh*t what anybody thinks.

BTW $40k isn't that much money these days. Remember, the $100 dollar bill is the new $20 and a $60k a year job is about equivalent to a $30k a year job any more. Has anyone been car shopping lately? It's $55k for a pick up truck and an Impala is over $40k.

Just ride man....
Amen! In 08, I bought my last new PU. 2500 Chevy LTZ optioned out diesel except for DVD. $45k. (even had the dreaded heated windshield washers, which I loved) Today it really is over $55k. Holy Mackerel.

My personal thought is a CVO, (really liked the RG in Gray) is a nice statement from those that like very nice bikes, and... can show they have a bit of $$$. Same as when I traded in my 06 vert and bought an 08 Z06. One doesn't buy a CVO for REAL power, tho. just nice power. Good, on demand power.

Presently, I ride a totalled salvage titled 2010 Ultra that has three different colors on it and I NEVER wash it. But... the 120r makes Wingers toast and can keep up with bimmers if the road isn't too curvy. I've been looking at those bimmers, myself.

Everybody wants what they want. I wanted effortless touring and got it. Looks don't matter to me at all. (and... I went bankrupt in 2010). My 'get a new bike' budget went into buying a Dyno instead. I see all kinds of folks that ride. And... as long as they DO ride, that is what matters to me anymore. Motorheads like me... like power. I will give the S&S motors a try on the next bike. Different strokes for different folks.

Now that some of the high end crotch rockets can use a flash tuner... I think I will try dynoing a friends 2014 1400cc Ninja. 200hp anyone? Power is all relative.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 06-16-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:28 PM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

Just for record there Jswerve... I wasn't trying to justify jack. I simply offered an opinion on my current, and past ride. The OP was looking for opinions not sarcasm. Ever thought of joining the CVO Forum....you'd be in good company with all the others that have the "special bike"! Just sayin!

Quick Reply: 110 CVO Limited vs 103 Ultra Limited