Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bugs baked on to fairing lowers

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007 | 11:43 PM
toddreber
Advanced
Default RE: Bugs baked on to fairing lowers

Best thing to use is baking soda on a wet clean rag..........is disolves the guts and doesn't harm the paint. I have put some in a sprayer added water and sprayed it wherever needed. Works the best and won't scratch paint.

Old 03-12-2007 | 11:46 PM
rideon
Road Warrior

That sounds interesting, have to give it a try.

Old 03-13-2007 | 12:17 AM
wldbill
Road Master

Wish I'd been a HDForum member last June when I ran through 10 miles of swarming locust in Nevada. When I got to LA I thought for sure my buddy would help me put the bike in his hot tub, but he claimed his filter wouldn't be able to handle all that yuck. I sure hope these tips work because the they still haven't come off.

Old 03-13-2007 | 12:20 AM
Wally
|
Elite HDF Member

I appreciate all the suggestions, some of them are worth trying.
Just to be clear, I took the lowers off and soaked them (submersed them) in warm water for a half an hour.
That didn't work.
These are not fresh bug guts.
The wetr towel trick is what I normally use when washing the bike. These guys are down and under and in hard to get and hard to see places that you don't normally see unless the bike is on a lift or dismantled like it is now.
Some of this mess is I'm sure years old and baked on.

Old 03-13-2007 | 12:39 AM
Rollon
Road Master

Usually the Florida bugs come off with the wet towel trick, may take 30 min. Mostly love bugs, which eat the paint if you leave them on too long. Another "Florida" method is to use Armor All on the fairing and lowers after you clean them, the the nasty little critters just slide off.

One thing for sure!!!! They don't have the guts to do your bike a second time!!

Old 03-13-2007 | 12:43 AM
wldbill
Road Master

Wally, you're discouraging me!! Are you saying that I might be stuck with my bug encrusted EGC forever??? I do have to say that it does draw a crowd.

Old 03-13-2007 | 01:16 AM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member

if a clay bar doesnt get them off- i dont know what will.

Old 03-13-2007 | 01:21 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

If the older ones have etched themselves into the paint due to the acidity of the "juices".............sandpaper and fresh paint from your friendly paint and body shop is all that'll fix this.

Old 03-13-2007 | 01:24 AM
Wally
|
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: wldbill

Wally, you're discouraging me!! Are you saying that I might be stuck with my bug encrusted EGC forever??? I do have to say that it does draw a crowd.

I think the older bug guts have probably damaged the clear coat on mine and yours Bill.
I'm going to try some different things including some buffing compounds, but, mine is mostly down low and more or less out of sight.
If I were You Buddy, I'd take it to a reputable body shop and let them try to buff it out. It may need to be recleared.
Or you could by a fairing bra and forget about it.

Old 03-13-2007 | 06:15 AM
hotpursuit
Road Captain

i just used some regular old tar and bug remover from turtle wax.... it worked great.... directions say rub gentlely so be patient and take ur time.... once ya got em off, wax that front as much as you can it really helps... i also bring a terry cloth and s100 on trips and soak em over night and clean em in the morn... this keeps it from getting too far gone...

Quick Reply: Bugs baked on to fairing lowers